1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Toyota Tundra questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by K-GUNS, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I was looking at new Ford Super cab XLT and Tundra double cab in 4 x 4. I would like to hear from owners of late model Tundra's with the 5.7 engine, double cab. 2007 and up. How do you like the truck, both the good and bad from your own experience.

2. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Having had both buy the Ford and it is not even close in my view. The mileage on the tundra sucks as does the ride. I had a bunch of squeeks and rattles in mine after three years and my 8 year old Ford had none. The Tundra had several recalls and my Ford had one. I have owned two Tundras and after a few years in both i much prefer the Fords.

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I a 2002 Tundra Limited with 2WD and the 4.7L V-8. I have approximately 120,000 miles on the clock with very few problems. All of the problems (converter at 75,000 miles and a recall on the bracket that holds the spare tire) were under warranty. The ride is quiet and my mileage all around is a consistent 15 MPG. On long trips, the mileage approaches 20 MPG. I only drive about 12,000 miles per year so mileage is not super critical.

I don't think that any super cab 4X4 5.7L V-8 is going to be very economical on gas.

If MPG in a large truck 4X4 is the objective and I was buying new with the intent of putting over 100,000 miles on the truck, I would look at a Ford super duty diesel.

They are made right here in Louisville, KY and we would appreciate your business.

Ed Ward

4. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Ed the new Fords are doing very well on mileage. The 4x4's are getting close to 20 mpg and the new eco boost V6 is even better with more hp and torque than the v8's. Your 2wd tundra getting 15 mpg is not good by anyones standards.

5. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

I own a 2003 with 100,000 on the clock.Mileage town-14-15
    on the road 20,plenty of power,I towed a small fifth wheel with it ( 20 FT )
    for 3 years and it was a good tow vehicle with 1 exception
    Brakes needed to be larger and they remedied that.
    No maintenace problems at all
    Good Luck
    Jim

6. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Anyone else driving a newer tundra ?

7. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Crab Check out the local repair garages about ford trucks. The front ends are falling apart and 2 at a local garage have frames that will not pass inspection only a couple of years old.Recall on catching fire and air bag replacements.still the same,a ford tk is the best ride a mile and walk the rest.

8. Danny Sirk

Danny Sirk TS Member

I bought a new 2010 Tundra i-Max Crew cab 5.7 V8. Around town in Virginia the mileage indicator goes from 16.2 to 17.1 mpg. It is the smoothest, quietest, easy handling truck I have owned. I have always bought GMC trucks and thought I would try this Tundra after also owning a 98 4-runner.

My only problem is I called the dealership about installing the electric brake controller ( came wired for towing and has the electric brake wire with it ) and they don't intall it but worse can't tell me where to mount the control. There is no room on the driverside.
    Danny

9. dxrad80

dxrad80 TS Member

I have a 4wd 2008 5.7 crew cab. It drives great on the highway and will pass anything except a gas station. The gas tank only holds 20 gallons. There are numerous rattles that have taken many trip to the dealer to fix. You can not see anyone next to you with the mirror systems. The outside metal is very very thin and dents easily. It gets 14 mpg at 35, 65 or 85 mph. There is much road noise when running over small pebbles. It has great seating. The ac is weak. It is a pain to park. It pulls trailers well. It gets stuck in 4wd easily as compared to gmcs or fords. It is not an off road friendly vehicle.

david muff

10. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I've owned Toyotas for the last 20 years including a couple of newer Landcruisers,2000Tundra and last a 2010 Tundra w/ their smaller V8. I traded the 2010 Tundra about 3 mos ago w/ 20K on it. Quality was NOT good- 3 recalls including a recall to work on a recall, the front differential was replaced( grinding noise),and the last thing was the Regional service guy had them replace the front axle while they had the front apart because that was a problem yet to come.

Those were the problems the other thing I didn't like was the gas mileage- about 15-16( rated @20mpg) on a good day( I drive about 80+ % on the highway @ 65MPH+)and it was just a pig to park.The thing I liked was the ride.

The 1st Tundra-2000 V8 had the O2 sensors go out and the manifolds started to leak causing the valves to burn- Total loss because they would not stand behind it -happened at 102K.Turns out this was a known design defect that year.

I will never buy another Toyota because I think they have slipped.I am going to try and start to buy Ford Products If I can.

Just one guys opinion.

11. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I have a 2010 F-150 supercab FX4, it is the best truck I have ever been in. There is literally nothing I do not like about it. The interior is luxurious and functional with features from heated leather seats to heavy rubber floor mats for easy mud removal. It is the perfect mix of rugged functionality and comfortable luxury. You could not give me a foreign pickup!

12. FIB

FIB Member

I owned a 2007 Tundra 4x4 w/the 4.7L V8 and sold it after 100,000 miles last year. I really liked it. I got around 17 mpg with it on the road. Mine was a work truck (SR5 pkg) with a conventional cab and a 8' bed. When you closed the doors it did sound tinny compared to my past Sierra's. My Tundra was built in TX and had a higher American made part content than my Canadian made Sierra's FWIW. Regards, Randy Price

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Regardless of what truck you buy, don't expect to get good gas mileage driving at 85 mph.

14. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Thanks for your time.Sounds like toyota is slipping a little from years ago.

15. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I know that the ford has had a lot of trouble with the 5.4L Triton. My brother's is a 2005 IIRC.

Injectors went crazy, stuck on. Hydrolocked the motor when they turned the key to "on" to read the code.

Bent a rod when they went to start it. Converter crapped out.

Ford goodwilled him a short block, even with it being that old and having 70,000 miles. Short blocks were back ordered. I imagine they fixed it by now, but that motor has a history of trouble.

That happened this summer.

16. wm rike

wm rike Member

I've no dog in this and I'm just reporting what I was told.

A client runs a fleet of trucks, a mix of Fords and Toyotas, in the oilfield. Tough work. He's always been a Ford guy, but reports that the Toyotas cost 14 cents/mile less than the Fords. Those are the numbers two accountants, working independently, reported back to him for his fleet.

17. TOOLMAKER 251

Why would oil field companies use a super light duty truck like a Toyota or Nissan? I have never heard of any trucks other then Ford, Chevy, or Dodge in oil field work, and most of them are Diesels.

18. twotimer

twotimer Member

Crab, I have a 2010 Llimited 4x4 5.7 Tundra. I own a gas station which helps. If I baby it I can get around 18mpg. Got about 30k on it and have had no problems and don't expect any. Mike

19. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I buy a new truck every year in March or April. I traded a Tundra 5.7 l for a Ford f 150 5.4 l. The Toyota has more power than the Ford and I enjoyed the truck a lot and was never in the shop for anything other than an oil change. It never had or developed any squeaks or rattles while I owned it and drove the same since the day I drove it off the lot. The one thing that I did not like about it was I swear the body was made out of tupper ware. Very cheap and there paint is very soft and scratches real easy.
    The f 150 does not have the power but has enough so the power thing does not bother me. It took 10,000 miles for it to break in and now it is starting to run real nice with increased power and acceleration. The Ford is built much more rigid and solid, there is no frame twisting where there was with the Toyota. The one thing that the Ford kicks it's ass in is the anti skid and the safety while in a spin on slick roads. Hard to explain but it would be much easier to loose control with the Toyota than the Ford.
    I am waiting for the v 6 eco boost in the f150 to hit the dealers. If it is what they are saying it will set the truck market on fire.
    With all this said I will not drive on a GM lot if they were giving them away. Had to many things go wrong with the ones I have owned over the years.

20. TOOLMAKER 251

The new F150 with the 3.5L ecoboost engine is the real deal. Putting out 365 hp and 420 ft. lbs of torque and running twin turbos at up to 13 lb. boost. They say 18-19 highway mpg's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.