1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Toyota recall

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I’m surprised no one has commented on Toyota, and their suspension of sales of 8 models that are being recalled.

If it had been GM, Ford, or Chrysler we sure would of heard about it on this site. I can imagine the diatribe now - Damn US junk, I quit the big 3 years ago, and on and on and on ……………..ad nauseam

Maybe some of the most vociferous detractors of the Big 3 on this site are in shock. I can think of several frequent posters to whom Toyota is their Deity. How could this happen? If you run into any of em especially the one on the west coast and the other in the southwest, be gentle to em and offer kind words. For this too shall pass.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I'll bet the sales people at those dealerships are real happy right now. Things were bad enough already.

To those that think Toyota does no wrong, they are suffering what the big three went through years ago. I'll stick to my ole Chevy. it is a better truck with nearly 250,000 miles than the Tundra is new.

ss

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

What goes around, comes around. But then those that are conspicuously quiet are to childish to realize that.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I was being polite....I did pi$$ myself laughing at a tv commercial tonight..It said "Toyota Has Your Car!" only we can't f#$%^&g sell them to you because they are defective pieces of shit!...
    HAHAHAHGHAAHOHOHOHHOOO...GAGGING CHOKING...BARF! fire rescue loves Toyotas too ..gives them something to do pulling them out of the trunks of american cars and lakes and ditches

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The Mfg. plants that produce those 8 models were also shut down. Remember when Toyota blamed it on the mat interfering with the accelerator pedal? It must be a lot more involved then a mat.

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

This is not the floor mat problem. It is something in the accelerator linkeage. The vehicles made in Japan are not affected.

I thought the speed was controlled by wire on todays vehicles? They described the condition as the pedal sticking so I guess it must be a mechanical problem.

My bet is they are making new parts now.

Jim Skeel

7. isuremissalot

isuremissalot TS Member

Toyota will get a black eye for this, and how they handle it will determine how strong of company they are in the future. If they wish to remain #1 they better get this figured out and treat there customers well. I have a feeling that Toyota will step up to the plate and make it right. If not I guess we will all be down to one quality car company HONDA. LOL!! Just tring to get you guys going a little.

Randy

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

This is huge! it's not the first itme there has been a recall for unexpected acceleration. Audi went through this some years ago and they recovered. Toyota ahs been the bench mark for quality in automotive. I'm not sure that there has ever been a recall that has been this huge.

9. Church Key

Church Key TS Member

At least they are doing a recall. I wrote a paper on Ford and the exploding Pinto's (it was more cost effective to pay the legal fees than fix the problem). Later my wife had a 1977 T-Bird that had a habit, when idling, of backing over people putting groceries in their trunk when the gear shift released by itself (untouched) from park to reverse, then released the parking brake; oops! Ford's solution was a sticker for the dashboard stating something similar to "Shut off the engine before using the trunk."

BTW - The Toyota problem is in an electronic module made in the USA.

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

church key, If Toyota had modules made in the USA or any other country, they were made to Toyota's specifications. Ford has been using the drive by wire module on the gas pedal for at least 8 years, did they recall their modules?

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Laugh at this setback if you like, but watch how it pans out for Toyota. From both a business standpoint and a humanistic standpoint, being proactive about human safety is better than ignoring the problem like Ford did with their SUV rollover problems or GM did when their outside-the-frame pickup gas tanks started blowing up during minor accidents. Toyota has an excellent business model and business students should study how they handle this problem. We studied the Ford/Firestone debacle when I was taking MBA classes and it appears that Toyota studied it too.

For the record, after three continuous decades of GM ownership, I'm done forever and intend to switch to Ford later this year. But my wife loves her Sienna and I can't deny that her Toyotas have been phenomenally reliable and low-maintenance. And unlike my Canadian Chevy lemon, her Sienna was made in the U.S.

Toyota has managed to build a good reputation which helped them gain major ground on our domestic mfrs. Facts are facts and we need to face them and learn from them, even if it's unpleasant. Laughing when the other team shoots an airball feels good but it doesn't change the reality that we're getting our @sses handed to us on the scoreboard.

-Gary

12. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Toyota upped the recall this evening by 1.1 million vehicles. Now up to 5.9 million total. More models involved.

DoubleAuto

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

The article I read said the supplier is a company called CTS, based in Elkhart, Indiana...but the offending part is made at their plant in Canada (they didn't say what the part is).

I wouldn't want to be somebody working at that company right now. (I wouldn't want to be a Toyota salesman, either).

The article also said the Obama administration applied pressure to get Toyota to stop selling vehicles, but their sources didn't agree. The Government source said Toyota stopped sales on their own...Toyota source said the Obama administration pressured them. Hmm...this is gonna be interesting.

The CEO of Government Motors, pressuring his competition to stop selling vehicles. There better be something more to this than gas pedals that are too long.

14. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

You forgot the 850,000 Tacomas that are recalled due to rotting frames.

The only problem is, most of these vehicles are built here in the USA.

Just an FYI:

Corolla, Matrix, and RAV4- Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Canada

Sequoia and Highlander- Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Indiana

Camry and Avalon- Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky

Camry- Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc.

Tundra- Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas

Jerbear

15. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

GM truck gas tanks did not blow up on impact. That was a set up by, I believe, 60 Minutes. They set off an explosive charge on impact. Bill Malcolm

16. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Interesting to see the Japan made Toyotas have not been recalled.....FJ Cruisers, 4 Runners, etc.

If my 1990 Toyota 4X4 ever wears out, I will be buying a Tacoma....with what I have saved in repair costs over the years Ive bought lots of ammo....

Tacomas are made/assembled in Kalifornia......no Dodge, Chevy or Ford for me, thanks.........if you don't like Toyotas, you can always buy a HONDA!

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

This had to happen eventually with the amount of vehicles Toyota has had to produce to make up for all of the Big 3 cars that the American public are to smart to buy anymore ... They will recover and be better than they were before, unlike the big 3 with a possible exception of Ford who is not financed by the American people ... The more they had to make the more chances of something happening that could be a problem, glad they had the recall, not like the Big 3 who just deny there was anything wrong with it when you picked it up yesterday ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Anyone know how many vehicles Toyota has had the accelerator stick on from this problem? My understanding is ONE. See if Government motors would stop selling cars and be that proactive with ONE issue. I have driven and owned everything out there over the years and without hesitation can tell anyone that Ford,Nissan and Toyota have been by far the best and least problematic vehicles on the road for me. Just be glad they are trying to get to the bottom of it before someone is killed. Why do so many people get their joys from others problems?

19. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

FYI ... ABC news report from 11/04/09. Bill Malcolm

20. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

My thing is, why don't the take the design of the parts in the china made vehicles which don't have a problem and put them in the american made vehicles and solve all the problems.

As a mechanic and have seen and worked on most the vehicles made, I still perfer to buy a toyota. At least when there is a major issue, they do something about it and not blow it off.

John P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.