1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Toyota Problems

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trim tab, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I found this on autoblog, and thought it was interesting. FYI

Toyota Tundra Hit With Two More Quality Issues
    From Autoblog:
    Last Tuesday the Toyota Tundra was kicked off the Consumer Reports "Recommended" list for achieving below average predicted reliability scores from its own owners. It appears, however, that the Tundra's week is about to get worse. With the help of Mike Levine from Pickuptruck.com, we're following two separate stories about Tundra quality issues that have surfaced recently. The first involves the Tundra's transmission, with at least ten owners at TundraSolutions.com reporting that their trannies experience rough shifts that make the truck feel like it's riding over rumble strips. The 'rumble strip' transmission issue has been acknowledged by Toyota North America and traced back to the torque converter not disengaging properly. Owners report having their transmissions replaced with new or remanufactured ones, though Toyota told Levine that going forward the automaker would only replace the torque converter itself. Toyota did not say, however, how many trucks are affected, just that the transmission problem is not a safety or design issue.

The second quality issue sprouted up this past weekend, also on TundraSolutions.com, and involves tailgates that have been failing or, in some cases, even falling off. The most common experience seems to be the tailgate itself forming cracks and the metal buckling when under load. One owner reported that his tailgate failed when loading an ATV into the bed for the very first time. The tailgate being such an integral part of owning a truck, members of TS have begun an online petition, which they hope will force Toyota to recognize the issue and do something about it. The petition has attracted 125 signatures so far. Levine from Pickuptruck.com has also asked Toyota about these potentially failing tailgates and is waiting for a response.

Yes, the Toyota Tundra has had a very rough week, but it's no more difficult than the time Tundra owners spend with trucks that don't work as advertised.

2. dsid01

dsid01 TS Member

Thats what you get for buying a glorified car. If you want a truck buy a truck not a toy.

3. Fug

Fug TS Member

toyota's and nissans are "girly" vehicles. Don't deserve to be called trucks!

4. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

Fug, I have to disagree with you. I have owned many 4 by's and the Nissan Titan I now own is the best of all of them. I gaveup on Fords as the last two almost broke me with repair bills. This truck is two and a half years old and it has not had a single issue or been in the shop for repairs except for a break job which was covered by warranty. I use it to tow my Bass boat for fishing and my Toy Hauler for hunting. If you knew me you would know that I don't baby my vehicles. A lot of guys waited to see how mine would hold up and then bought them themselves. Don't forget, they are made right here in the good old USA. American workers are making them, not Mexicans, Canadians or others. I must admit though, they are not the prettiest truck on the road to some, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Dan

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

My 94 Landcruiser has 200K miles of hard use and abuse with zero mechanical or electrical failures. Made in Kentucky with US labor. What's not to like? Also with it's factory installed lockers, the cruiser will outclimb anything from Ford, Dodge or GM.

6. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

In june I desided to buy a new pickup. Though I was very happy with my 04 Titan, I wanted a new one. I looked at the Tundras, and my thoughts were, it was a tin can, you can flex the hood, when it`s open, almost a foot, I bent the bottom outside of the bed with my bare hands,(I`m not Joe Armstrong). The box is so thin you`d put a hole in it if you threw a hunk of angle iron in. Needless to say no sale.

I ended up with an F150, because Ford gave me the best trade. Had Nissan came up with the same deal, I`d be driving an 07 Titan. My Titan towed, stopped, rode, and handled better than this Ford, plus the Titan was one heck-of-alot quicker, even though the Ford has a 5.4 in it.

To sum it up, the Tundra is a car in a pick ups` body, the Titan has it`s draw backs,( it`s also a little tiny ), but the F150 isn`t the greatest thing since sliced bread.

For now the Ford`s ok, but we`ll see what happens in 3 years.

Tom R.

PS. Don`t even ask why no GM, or DDDOdge(the parts falling off).

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Let's take a trip back in time. 1974 is the year. I bought a brand new Yota Land Cruiser FJ55 Wagon. It was a tough vehicle, seriously underpowered, and had NO rust protection, except what I sprayed on as Undercoating and Rustproofing after it was built. AT 10,000 miles, it needed it's first valve job. At 18,000 another valve job. This was a straight six similar to the OLD Chevy stove bolt motor. The rear diff was a 1937 Chevy, etc. I could see the old steel Budwieser cans it was made from right through the paint and some old "Keds" labels in the tires. At 24,000 miles I got tired of replacing valves and tore the head off, installed special seat inserts and sodium filled valves. I opened up the valve pockets and then installed an oversized radiator, etc, etc, etc. That was the end of the valve issues. At 16,000 miles, the transfer case started to growl and howl when in 4X4 mode only. Ripped it out, rebuilt and modified it and that was the end of the transfer case issues. By the time it had 60,000 miles on it, I spent more time fixing it than driving it. It was a tough vehicle, but it wasn't worth the beer cans it was made of. It started to show some of the road through the floor pan and some body panels were starting to crumble. Four or five years on (and off) the road so far. When it hit 80,000 miles, the gas tank rusted through. There was gasoline all over the place. I let nature take it's course and after it cooled down, took it over to the scrapyard on my flatbed. That was my LAST experience buying a NEW Yota. My vehicle certainly gave a new meaning to the word "Off-Road". They have seemed less than spectacular ever since. Am I surprised that quality is slipping? absolutely not, I expected it based on my previous experience. They have come a long way since I had my Yota, but not far enough.

If you are wondering why I keep calling them a "Yota", that's sort of a private joke that I will share. It was all of the original nameplate that was left on the Tailgate when I last saw it covered in flames having it's last meltdown.

AS far as I'm concerned, they ALL walk a tightrope between profit and saleability, NOT quality or reliability. Those are the byproducts of higher manufacturing costs and have been cut along with other costs. They have to cut somewhere since the competition is catching up in some areas. Those cuts are starting to show.

8. jimx200

jimx200 Member

And yet more reasons why Toyota truck sales numbers are way off...in the truck world, word gets around pretty quickly about which brands have "issues". This transmission problem started with the T1000 (a v6) and they used the same power train in their v8's for a few years...about 50% of those T1000 owners experienced tranny problems and Toyota, in their generosity, paid for half the repair of a $3000. bill..."oh, what a feeling, Toyota". NOT.

9. jappo

jappo TS Member

I recently bought a new Tundra. I have had the same issues and more with the transmission. I have had it in the shop to have it looked at it twice. Both times the see the problem but they can't do anything about it until Toyota sends out a service bulletin stating what to do about it. All they do is hook it up to the computer and it doesn't give any error codes and they say it is as designed and go ahead and drive it.
    Other than shifting hard, as it down shifts my changes anywhere from 200 to 1200 rpm. As it is downshifting it feels like there is another vehicle pushing me while I'm trying to brake. Sometimes it doesn't feel like I have enough brakes to get it stopped before I run into whatever is in front of me. I have talked to Toyota customer service in California several times about it and they also said it is as designed and drive it. What it feels like sometimes is like a ghost is in the truck with me and it has an accelerator pedal and it accelerates while I am braking. No one can convince me it's not a safety issue when the engine applies power when I have my foot on the brake.
    Most everything else I like about it. As soon as they accept this as a real issue and resolve it I believe they will have a complete real truck. I really like the power, ride and looks. Just like to get rid of the ghost riding with me....

10. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Go to the above website and post a complaint. NHSTA will take action and investigate the issues. I have used this site when I had my bodyshop and someone would have their turd broken into and expected me to rebuild it for free. The car didn't move and the radio was stolen but now with 150,000 miles on it, after the repair to the stereo and dash, the rack and pinion was bad Now they expected the insurance company to repair it. We would make a copy of the page with all the complaints on their car and say goodbye. No check or credit card for the deductable... only cash.

Jerbear

11. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Try here and look up your vehicle.

Jerbear

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

thank god for ford gm and Chrysler/jeep. they make payroll a reality at our shop. Right now we are about 60% trucks and suvs gm/ford/dodge split about 50 50 on cars. If our customers where not so hard on their brakes we would being doing much more than maintaining the import fleet. As far as what is better? you want to talk tranny and transfer case issues, geeze how long did it take ford to fix the ax4 trans problems, how about the early over i mean no drive in the explorers, how about the crappy transfer case auto clutch system in the gems. I bet this problem on the NEW MODEL tundra is a programming issue, sounds like torque converter not locking/unlocking.....wait A body gems car stalls after high way driving. What you need to look at is volume of problems and common failure rates. in 2 weeks I had to rebuild 4 jeep differentials. I have never done a Toyota or Nissan. ball joints on the big 3 my god come on! how about all the broken coil springs on fords cars and trucks. Electrical issues, how many of you gm guys have the wacky gauges on your dash. Over all quality is better on most toyotas and nissans, maybe because most are USA built. Today I did work on a GM all the parts where dealer only ACdelco Wire repair end for egr, made in Mexico, new heated seat module, Mexico

Toyota Avalon built in Kentucky, gas door cover made in USA, was even boxed in a box made in USA. evap pressure sensor made in USA, water pump made in japan.
    We have several customers that use tundras for their fleet trucks, they are not taken care of very well. Holding up strong. Switched from dodge PU that would be in regularly. To each his own, Work hard for your money buy what you feel is best for yout money. how many big 3 plants will be closing soon to move to mexico or canada. They are building a new plant in Brazil. When do you think Dodge will dump its truck line? I say 3 years.

13. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

have a 2000 tundra 155000 miles had a ox sensor air sensor and starter is all the dumb asses that designed the v8 needs to work on it starter is INSIDE the engine $350 job there is NO other truck that will run as fast rick

14. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Ask any F-150 owner after he has replaced each and every coil one at a time @ 200.00 apiece, if thats macho?

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Tundras have also been plaqued with a soft camshaft problem...heard one tapping like a pair of Sammy Davis Jrs. dancin' shoes I'll stay with my V-10 F-350SD

16. XT Bill

XT Bill TS Member

And the V-10 has been plagued with spark plugs blowing out of the heads !

17. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'll let you know if mine ever do.....that was on earlier engines mostly after people didn't install new plugs correctly when changing. No matter..mine will last as long or longer as the Nagasaki nutbuckets, just because I know how to properly care for it

18. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

My 1987 chevrolet with 305 engine has only had the water pump replaced. Of couse its a little rusty with 250 k on it.

19. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

These must be the Tundras made in the US?

20. XT Bill

XT Bill TS Member

That is the ONLY place Tundra's are made. Right here in the U.S. One factory is in Indiana, the other is in Texas. No Canada, no Mexico.

Looks like I'll keep my '02. I've loaded my 700 lb. Polaris 4 wheeler, with me on it, ramps on the tailgate, no big deal, just make sure to stop before the winch goes through the back window !

Like sarge said above...The best one is the one that's paid for !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.