1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Toyota Highlander AWD in snow?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FIB, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I bought a 07 Toyota Highlander last spring and was wondering how the AWD does in snow? I live in N. IL where we get quite a bit of snow. It's funny the rear of my Highlander has a 4WD emblem but I understand it's really AWD. I don't expect it to be a good as a "real" 4WD but wanted to hear from other AWD owners that live in N. climates. Thanks in advance, Randy Price

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I'm not sure what the "real" difference is between AWD and 4WD as far as high range.

AWD doesn't have a low range and I believe that is why they get better gas mileage, but again I don't know.

I'm sure you will be just fine with the highlander as long as you are not running around on bald tires.

Nick

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

You should do just fine, as per above make sure you have good tires. And remember you can still get stuck & when you do it's usually worse, also 4wds DON'T stop any better than 2wd, they can give a false sense of security. Ross Puls

4. wm rike

wm rike Member

Tires are far, far and away the most important element. Good snow tires, especially if the snow is not packed down, and you're ready to go.

My exposures to AWD suggest that regardless of whether or not there is a button that supposedly locks the system into AWD, they still put most of the power through the primary drive wheels, and only when there is slippage does it change the split or invoke traction control. Sometimes that takes a second or two, which is disconcering if you're starting to go sideways.

With a part-time 4WD system, if it's in 4WD there's no delay.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

We have a 2011 Toyota Rav4 4WD(really all time AWD) and it does amazingly well in the snow even on the factory installed Bridgestone street tires. We bought it last fall before we got a pretty good snow. It's actually the wife's car and i like the fact that she doesn't have to decide when is the right time to engage the 4WD. The computer does it all faster than you can blink. It also does great on rain slicked roads. I believe it's the exact same system that is in the Highlander.

6. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I've always had 4WD pick-up trucks, and I still do. A year ago I purchased a new Honda CRV AWD and instead of trading in the pick-up, I kept it. We get alot of snow up here in MN. Rest assured the AWD system works just fine, in fact, it works as good or better than the 4 WD. With differential lock and traction control plus stability control, I feel it's a better system than on the pick-up. I drive and the SUV's computer gives me the best possible traction and control as conditions change. With good tires and common sense locked in, you should never have a problem with normal snow conditions or snowfall. Sometimes all this computer control actually pays off in big dividends....cya

7. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks to everyone for their replies! Randy Price

8. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Several years ago I rented a Highlander AWD when I returned home to Pennsylvania for deer season. We had snow that year. The road to our cabin is just a two-track trail that goes up a steep hill. The Toyota did just fine. I'm considering buying for my wife's next vehicle.

9. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks eveyone. I'm feeling a little better about winter! Regards, Randy Price

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Randy, I'm sure you have a winner nothing more relialbe and trouble free than a Yota. The AWD Escape that I have is great in snow and mud enjoy your High,ander . I live in the Chicago area so I know about the damn snow

11. tj303

tj303 Member

As an owner of a Highlander with 170,000 miles I can say it does very well in the snow. I always put on snow tires (Blizzak) for the winter. I live on top of a very snowy hill.

tj303_2008_03031.jpg

12. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks again to everyone for their replies. I currently have Goodyear Integrity tires on it. Perhaps I better spring for some dedicated snow tires. Regards, Randy Price

13. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

You spring for them once and I will guarantee you get them every winter for here on out. Night and day difference.

14. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

A friend has one. If he goes busting snow drifts the serpentine belt is prone to jumping off the pulleys. Jimmy Borum

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    tj303, quote: <i>".....Blizzak...."</i>

^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
highlander in snow
highlander snow
how many inches of snow can a 2007 toyota highlander awd go thru
is toyota highlander good in snow