1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Toyota Hearings

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by markdenis, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

You have got to be kidding me! Our politicians are making fools of themselves in front of the world with their uninformed questions and comments to the leaders of Toyota in the Senate hearings going on right now. Our ignorant politicians are an embarrassment to this nation.

Don't get me wrong...Toyota has a problem but they are addressing it and will get the problem fixed. They have a better track record than most auto makers.

As a matter of fact, GM and Ford have led the way in customer complaints and delayed recalls because of defective parts that caused injuries and deaths. GM and Ford have the distinct reputation of causing 80% of the top ten all time dangerous vehicles in history.

Mark Rounds

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Can you post a link where it says that GM and Ford lead in the complaint department?

3. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Toolmaker251

You Bet. If you do some research you will see many more firms that validate this...CNN, MSNBC, etc.

Here is a couple of links

http://www.carcomplaints.com/top_vehicles.shtml

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/total-recall-ten-largest-auto-recalls-of-all-time/1987-ford/

4. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I have to disagree, Mark. Toyota used to make fine cars. But they have lied, obfuscated, and stonewalled on this one. The unintended acceleration was clear from the get-go not a stuck pedal. They knew this, as did we all. But they persisted in smoke-and-mirrors about floor mats and stuck linkage, while peoples' lives were being risked. Now, maybe the fellow who testified to Congress yesterday was just saying what the company's lawyers told him to say, but you could see on his face he knew he was lying. Sorry, they now deserve to go broke.Phil

5. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Phil

They have done nothing American auto manufacturers haven't done...and that is delayed recalls. I agree it stinks but it seems to be the norm in this situation. There are 10 Toyota plants in the U.S. and if they go under it will cause the loss of thousands of American jobs.

I am in no way defending Toyota...it just appears our incompetent politicians are trashing Toyota when in fact they should be at least going after the leaders for delayed dangerous recalls if they go after anyone at all!

Oh, and there is one other fact. The cars in question are made in the U.S. by American workers. The complaints are coming from Toyota owners, not from CEO's and other upper management employees from Toyota that run the plants here in the U.S. It seems they are the ones that should share equal blame.

Before this is over, our ignorant politicians will most likely cause 100 times more problems between us than they will solve by their inconsiderate muscle flexing grandstanding.

Mark Rounds

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Our ignorant leaders need to run the government and not try run businesses

But they can't do either one so we would all be better off if they just called in sick everyday

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings about this. First, when the Japeneze car maunfacturer's were kicking our butts on mileage and quality, we demanded they build cars in the US and hire American workers. That happened. They also hired a bunch of engineers and managers away from the Big 3 which opened the doors for other managers in the Big 3 a well as Toyoto, Honda, and other manuf.

There is no doubt that the Big 3 have had their own recall problems. I have been involved in 2 major fiascos myself which ended up costing me around $6,000. Both issues should have been 100% recalls at no expense to me, but no one pushed Ford or GM to do that.

Now, since we have Government Motors, it at least LOOKS like a Witch hunt to damage Toyota's reputation, and a bunch of self serving politicians trying to grandstand in front of everyone.

If Toyota f-d up this deal, should make it right, but the manner by which this is being presented and covered by the media is rediculous. Based on the total units sold, and the percentage of people affected, it's definitely being over publicized.

8. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

It is just another example of American politicians embarrassing this nation in front of the whole world.

Mark

9. Setterman

I'm also worried about how this looks to other foreign investors who may consider building or financing plants in the US.

10. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

None of this would make headlines if Toyota had the union in their plants..

11. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

To Mark and Setterman============ What kind of excuse to you have for the Japs when they attacked us at Pearl??????? This is nothing more than big business crying foul when called on the carpet. You are actually thinking we are too rough on those boys? Do you guys squat when you pee? Dan

12. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Ha Ha HA Dahaub...you need help and probably should have had help along time ago.

Mark

13. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

If Toyota had the union in their plants there may well be no more US Toyota plants to worry about. Seems to me the downfall of the American (big three) auto companies started with the extortion like demands for ever higher wages and benefit packages. I'm not pro or con union but when a union gets as powerful as some have it can be hazardous to our economy. Granted the big three have sat on their hands while many of the rest of the worlds auto makers have caught up and passed us. But the unions demands started the hurt. Marc

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

This isn't the first time nor will it be the last time those DC windbags will have embarassed us...might as well get used to it

15. Setterman

Dahaub, I'm surprised how you stooped so low so quickly. I was in Detroit the other day, and as drove down 96 I couldn't help but notice how many Hondas and Toyotas are in the Motor City. 3 to 1? Why is that? Could it be that the BIG 3 has had issues.

If Toyota is responsible for these problems, they must make it right, or their reputation will bite them in the butt just like it did the BIG 3. I never said they should be left off the hook. The way it's being done is a global joke.

Face it, when times were good the Union and the the BIG 3 took us all for a ride. Now their retirement plans and insurance schemes are underfunded and Obama and his merry men have to deliver on some campaign promises. But the stupid voters are catching on to this gig.

November will tell. Hope we can meet at a shoot sometime, I'd love to show you how I pee.

16. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Most all those parts are made by union workers here. Wonder why all the sudden Toyota is getting these recalls?

17. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

Can you imagine our own domestic industry without the competition from Toyota, Honda and Nissan? We'd still be driving around in Pintos and Vegas with rich corinthian leather. We should fly this guy to Detroit for a consulting session.

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Setterman

"If Toyota is responsible for these problems, they must make it right, or their reputation will bite them in the butt just like it did the BIG 3"

That seem to the big problem in this country and especially in this industry. Recalls,recalls recalls. You say they need to make it right or their reputation is at stake.

So tell me who cares about their reputation? How do you make it right when Lives have been lost? You going to give them a new car maybe. Give us a break spare us the gibberish. These people are responsible for lost life. They lied and I am reading about their reputation and ignorant politicians.

Clinton lied and did on TV to millions of his constituents what did he get? A place of honor in the history of this country. Tiger woods plays Pro sports he was exposed and didn't lie. He is ridiculed and treated like trash.

I say there are much bigger issues here than the reputation of a Japanese company I think it boils down to the entire morals of this country.

Bob Lawless

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The Dems are trying to ensure market share for Government Motors.

Classic conflict of interest.

20. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Bob they are not the only car manufacture that is responsible for lost life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.