1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Toyota Camry repair...mechanic or parts guy input

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by jimx200, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimx200

jimx200 Member

My good friend took her 2002 Toyota Camry (120k on it) into Midas Muffler here in California as it had front end noise. They told her she needed 2 new front struts...and they did the work. She told me a day later and my first thought was they really overcharged for the job charging her $750. Can Toyota Camry struts be that DAMN expensive? Assuming they replaced the cartridges. What do you guys see charged for this kind of repair?

2. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Well, struts are not cheap. If she also needed springs or there were other front end parts like ball joints or tie rod ends that needed attention plus the alignment...you can get to $750 real quick.

Steve

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

The struts should have run between $80 -$100 each. Labor should have been maybe 1-1.75 hours so the entire job should have cost no more than $350-400 based on a quick search of local prts houses and shopt (SoCal). If you went to a dealer and used Toyota parts, add 50% to the cost i just mentioned. Which would put you right up there in the price range you reported.

4. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

The bearing tops go bad on these. When you hit a bump they rattle. If the noise is gone than they probably replaced the whole strut assembly. You could actually look under the hood or ask the place that did the work. Price might also of included an alignment.What does the bill say? Birdtracler

5. culverken

culverken Member

They most likely replaced the upper strut mounts as well. They are what typically make the noise, not the struts. They usually make a clunking or rattle when hitting bumps. If they did replace the mounts their est is inline. I own a auto repair shop and that is about what I would charge.

Ken

6. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Midas Muffler is one of the most expensive places for any work. The dealer probably would charge no more................Roger

7. emm2

emm2 Member

Shops typically charge more for the parts than an auto parts store. Struts run $100-175 each depending on the quality plus labor and alignment plus if the strut tops were replaced that would be more. My shop is $100 an hour on labor. It all ads up quickly. Midas tends to be real pricey on the parts side but unless you call around to other shops they are in the ballpark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.