1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TOYOTA AND GM USE THE SAME PARTS???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slugbug1, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

I just read this...Toyota Motor Sales USA President Jim Lentz says his company shares about two-thirds of its 500 parts suppliers with GM, which is facing the possibility of a bankruptcy. Lentz made the remarks Wednesday at the New York International Auto Show.......So... GM cars have mostly the same parts as Toyota? GaryL.

2. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

No, Parts suppliers supply different parts for different manufactures. They may be break shoe manufactures etc. and supply a different shoe for Chevy Vs. Camry....Roger

3. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

I guess I didn't catch the difference between parts suppliers and parts manufacturers. I read it that they were having them manufactured by the same shops. GaryL.

4. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

The difference is "parts" and "parts suppliers". A company like Leer seating makes seats for GM may also make seats for Toyota.

Joe

5. JimmyP

JimmyP TS Member

SlugBug, Yes they do share a lot of parts manufactures. A smaller company can make parts for a host of buyers. The body parts say, could be made on the same machines for GM and Toyota with different dies. Smaller companies are not locked in to only selling to one car manuf. That is why when one of the big companies goes under it will harm all the others because the share a network of smaller companies that make parts for them that will be hurt and possibly go under also. Did I make that clear as mud? LOL

Jimmy

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The good parts go to Toyota and the rejected ones go to GM, no problem and elimnates waste and recycling ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Same suppliers but not same parts. Some parts suppliers manufacture for many many different car companies.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

GM used toyota motors and other parts in some cars back in 1986 - 87 "Nova" It was all Corolla all the way

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They use the same parts at NASCAR........

HM

10. 1290FPS

1290FPS Member

I bought a Volvo back in '83. Not sure why-I have never hugged a tree, and have never owned a pair of birkenstocks, but I digress. In 1996 the car took a major dump. I was looking at a massive parts bill to repair the car (using Volvo parts) My neighbor who was a GREAT mechanic came over one evening for a chilled adult beverage. While pulling a long cold swig he looked under the hood. "Damn - thats a Ford fuel injection system". "Damn! Thats a Ford ignition system!" My repair bill was significantly lower after that. The car was built several years before I saw a domestic with fuel injection & 15 years before Ford purchased the car division of Volvo.

11. letts

letts TS Member

I have a friend who worked for Buick, At one time he told me that one company in Grand rapids Michigan made 90% as I remember of all the valve lifters in the world, Almost everyone used them at the time. I would have to think that if you make parts, you make parts for anyone who has the money to pay for them.

Letts

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

To tell the truth, a lot of the parts are done on bids.

And it's easier to use an existing part (like a lifter) than design a new one unless you have a very pressing reason.

the auto salvage folks have a nice thick interchange manual, the Hollander, that lists all that crap. At least they did a century ago when I worked in a yard.

HM

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

Even if Toyota and GM only shared a few suppliers, if those suppliers are critical...and they go under...it could seriously impair the ability of both companies to build vehicles.

And surprise, surprise...yes, Toyota does buy a LOT of parts from suppliers here in America. Honda and Nissan, ditto.

So that's why Toyota has a big interest in whether GM's bondholders push them into court.

The rest of the economy may start to recover...but it'll be a loongggg time before the auto industry is out of the woods.

14. JH

JH Well-Known Member

The UAW will try any SPIN to survive....UAW voted overwhelmingly for OBAMA!
    You can run but you can't hide. The TRUTH IS THE TRUTH!

15. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

The company I work for makes parts for the U.S. car makers & Toyota & Honda. The parts are made to different specs.
    The parts going to Honda & Toyota are made to a tighter spec. than the U.S. makers. The higher the quality part, the higher the price. The U.S. makers don't want to pay the difference.
    I'm not saying they don't make a quality vehicle. Their quality has improved over the years but IMO they could build cars just as reliable & dependable if they were willing to pay for it.

i_shoot

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Why redesign the wheel? If someone has aleady designed the part and someone else is already making the part; Why not save the money and buy the pre-excisting part? Makes sense, Mercury and Yamaha 4 strokes interchange almoost everything.

17. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

i_shoot,

So what you're saying is that those parts that don't meet the Toyota or Honda specs become American car parts?

Eric

18. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

"So what you're saying is that those parts that don't meet the Toyota or Honda specs become American car parts?"

No, I think what's being said is the parts are made to each Auto Companies specific specifications and the Japanese specs are tighter.

19. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I guess some of the domestic parts got into Toyota's supply line by mistake. Bill Malcolm

Toyota Recalls More Cars Than They Sold: Is There Fairness in the Media?

When Ford launched the the 2008 Ford Escape and the Mercury Mariner the media was invited out to the ceremony. Some of the reporters want to ask some questions about Ford. The UAW Local 249 bargaining chair R.D Snow had some questions for them. "Why is it that when Toyota has a recall, a small paragraph inside the paper is printed, but if Ford has a recall, it's splashed all over the front page? Of course they said they didn't make those decisions and the suddenly scattered.

The fact is the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced that Toyota recalled more vehicles in the US than they sold last year. They recalled 2.38 million vehicles but only sold 2.26 million. Did you hear about that? I doubt it. Did you hear that Toyota is making an major apology for their "worrisome series of recalls" that has tarnished their reputation for quality? Did you hear about the Toyota senior manager saying that, we used to do quit recalls called, service campaigns' to deal with defects. (www.2006toyotarecalls.com)

How Americans Can Buy American says that in Japan, prosecutors are looking into possible negligence of the part of Toyota for shrinking recalls for the last eight years. You probably didn't hear about that one either because the American media doesn't like to bash foreign auto companies, just American auto makers.

Consumer reports announced that both the Ford Fusion and the Mercury Milan scored higher than both the Toyota Camry and the Honda Accord this year.

Toyota Motor Corp it was recalling 533,000 Tundra pickup trucks and Sequoia sport utility vehicles because of potential steering problems.

Toyota said the recall involved 2004-2006 Tundra trucks and 2004-2007 Sequoia full-size SUVs. The automaker has received reports of 11 accidents and six injuries connected to the recall, said Toyota spokesman Bill Kwong. The automaker said there was a possibility of excessive wear to a front suspension lower ball joint that could make it difficult to steer the vehicle and stay in the center of the lane. Drivers may also notice more noise coming from the front suspension, Kwong said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.