1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Toyota 4.6 L V8 pick up owners~~~

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Church Key, Feb 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Church Key

Church Key TS Member

I have a 2005 Tundra Regular cab 4X2 w/4.7L that just rolled over 100K miles. It will be 7 next month. I have spent $0 in repairs; just followed the routine maintenance in the book. It averages 18MPG and is used mostly like a car. I'd buy another one if this critter ever wears out.

I'm toying with buying a new battery, as 7 years seems like a long time for the original one.

2. Joen

Joen Member

Do not have a 4.6 got I think it is a 5.8 got 80,000 mi on it repair cost $0
    Wife drives a Tacoma got a 105,000 mi on it repair cost $0
    Have bought 10 new pick-ups and one new car cent 2000 for our business three have not had to go back to the dealer for warranty work or any other repair all 3 Toyota hope thank start making a 3/4 ton pick up so I so do not have to buy any more Fords, or Chevy's

3. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

I think you might mean the 4.7 no such thing as the 4.6. I have owned 2, 1st one was totaled and I replaced that one with my current truck. I have 231,000 on this one and it does not leak a drip drop of oil nor do I lose any between oil changes. The only thing I have replaced is basics, plugs, wires, fuel filters, timing belts, shock & struts and so on. I have had one "issue" I had a starter go out which sounds like a piece of "cake". Not the case, the starter is located under the intake manifold about a 3.5-4 hour job.

Other then that it rides nice and has never given me one issue nor has it ever left me stranded. Let us know what year your looking at as there is certain thinks to look for in certain years. Hope this helps. Thanks

4. APrice

APrice Active Member

Bryce, you need to get Toyota on the line and tell them how confused they are. There are now tens of thousands of Tundra owners who are under the impression they are driving with 4.6L V-8's:

http://www.toyota.com/tundra/specs.html

5. Bryce720

Bryce720 Active Member

Gotcha I re-read the post I thought we talking the older Tundras, my bad. I did find this awesome avatar that caught my attention for a while while I was researching the 4.6. Thought you guys might like it.

http://im.toyota-4runner.org/avatars/eskimochaos.gif?dateline=1241878999

I'm sure you'll get some good info hear, if you need more see the link below Tundra Solutions Forum is the place to go.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/

6. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

I have a 2003 with 148000 miles,nothing other
    than scheduled maintenance,approx 18 mpg hwy
    I would definatly buy another one
    Jim

7. copper

copper Member

Went from 2001 GMC nex cab I had for 7 years To a 2005 Tundra V8 gas MPG was around 15 was excab still felt small I went back to a Chevy 2003 crew cab Quad steer love it 6.0 gets 12 MPG the only thing I don,t like .

8. FIB

FIB Member

I had a 2007 Tundra 4x4 conventional cab 8' box with the 4.6L V8. I used it strictly as a work truck but was very happy with it. When I got rid of it last year I had just over 100K miles and it ran like a top.

9. APrice

APrice Active Member

FIB, the 4.6L V8 wasn't introduced until 2010. How did you end up with one in your 2007?

10. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I wish I had a short block 5.7 from the truck to put in my 1992 Lexus 400. You put the dual-overhead cams and high flow heads on the truck block and can get like 450 or more horses. AJ

11. FIB

FIB Member

I guess I didn't read the OP post correctly. Sorry APrice. I had the 4.7L in my 07.

12. APrice

APrice Active Member

I've got the 4.7 also. Great engine.

The new 4.6 is actually the same engine as the new 5.7L, just with a shortened stroke. Should be a good one too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.