1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Toyota 2006 Brake problem question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pyrdek, Jun 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

My daughter just called me for help and I am totally out of my element. Her boyfriend has a 2006 Prius and it is now giving them problems. They are in North Carolina and I am in PA so I need someone that may have experience with Prius to give me an idea of what might be happening.

Symptoms are: Brake warning light and buzzer indicate problem. Brakes don't work and require very heavy effort just to try to slow down. The car will shift itself in neutral. Other warning lights on dash seem to go on for no reason. Stopping car and waiting for a little while seems to allow a reset and the car will work again but only for about 20 or 25 miles then the sequence starts again.

They have checked all fluid levels (as per owners manual) and the only fluid that is at the bottom line b ut it is not below itr, is inverter fluid (whatever that is).

I am totally out of my element when it comes to hybred cars so if you have eny experience PLEASE HELP ME to understand what is going on and how to get them safely the 500 miles or so back home.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Best advice is have them stay over night and get the car to a local Toyota dealer 1st thing tomorrow.

Eric

3. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

That is what I told them to do. I also offered to drive down there and pick them up but they said no. It seems like it may be a heat related problem since when they called back they said it seems to work for more miles if it sits for a longer period.

One thing my internet research told me is that I will not buy one of these things! There are pages of problem reports for headlights, brakes, transmission, battery 12 v and big, and far too many other problems.

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I'm not real familiar with That vintage of Toyota's brake systems, but it sounds as if the boost is not vacuum, like most vehicles on the road. The brake systems boost could be powered by an electronic pump or work of of the power steering pump. I would look for related problems.

JMHO!!

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'll say this much, my wifes new Toyota Rav4 will throw ya thru the windshield. It has some very nice brakes. So far anyway. Its a 2011 though.

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

They got home safely. Once the outside weather cooled off (and a hour or so wait on the side of the road!) the car started acting normally again. It continued to run normally at least long enough to let them make it home. Sure looks like it might be a heat related problem but then again, with all the software control in this hybrid how can you tell.

I don't know if it is used in the 2006 Prius but don't, at least some of, the hybrids use regenerative braking where the kinetic energy of the moving car is converted back in battery charging electricity when the brakes are used? I do know that the brake system on some of the models had a major software problem where the brakes would basically shut off for a second or so when changing from regenerative to traditional friction braking. Of course in the second or so all you could do is hope that there was nothing in your way for the length of the football field or so you would travel without brakes! Seems there was a recall for this on some of the later models. All in all, from what I read in looking for info on this problem, it sure looks like this model is still "Not Ready for Prime Time".

Anyone want to guess where the next place this car is going? Hint: It begins with a "T" and ends in "Service Department". I don't know but I wonder what kind of actions and how much it will cost to get the car back to where it will be able to be driven with confidence that the problem won't happen again.

7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

It is not my car. It is the car of my daughters (very close) boyfriend. It acted Sunday evening up on the way home from a trip they took to North Carolina. I have not heard back from them what is going on with the car today other than trying to get it into a service shop first thing today.

8. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Update: They tried to take the car to the dealer service. They were told it could not be taken in for two weeks and there was a $100.00 (minimum - maybe more) diagnostic service charge with no certainty of anything being found. They are looking for another dealer to see what that dealer may say about getting the car in and checked out.

That kind of "service", especially on a safety issue, sure would "inspire" me to NOT buy one of those things, especially even more so with the first dealer!

9. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Brakes on Prius are electric. Take it to the dealer and do not try to screw with it yourself. Sounds like electrical problem

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Check for a recall or a service bulletin.. If there are none, just wait awhile. Make sure you register a valid complaint and incident report with the Feds. Be sure to complain LOUDLY and to the right agencies. Toyota will ignore you and never admit they have an issue with these vehicles. It's always the customer's fault and it's up to the customer to pay for not fixing it, at least several times until they get a recall notice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.