1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Toy Trains

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by MtnGun, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

I have a Lionel train set I want to sell. I got it as a kid in the mid 60's. I have no idea of its value. Can someone help me? I wouldn't know where to start on an asking price.

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

First we would need a picture. If you have the boxes that would be a big help. Model number would help if no box. Mike.

3. dhip

dhip Active Member

Take it to a train dealer get an apprasel,don't leavi it.Had a cousin do that with a Giant tin set,mysterously the shop was broken into the night he left the set there.It was taken(whole set,,supposedly) plus just a few others.Was told since they hadn't had time to appraise it,they had no idea what it was worth.Low and behold ,he saw a similiar set at another dealer,it was worth quite a chunk.He never got over the loss,always had a bitter look at train dealers after that.Many Model railroad shows around,you could take it to one and get opinions there.Last ,but probably not as efficient,look on e-bay and see if anything similiar is being sold.

Doug H.

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Do a Model Railroad builders search or Model train collectors search.

Scale also has some to do about values.

Good luck

5. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

Bulge, I will try to get some pics taken. The box is long gone. Any other way to find model numbers?

6. todd farris

todd farris TS Member

Go buy a Model Railroader Magazine and you can find plenty of people qualified to give you an appraisal.

Todd

7. dhip

dhip Active Member

Oh,by the way,if you attend a Model Railroad Show,"DON'T" call it a toy train.That'll let them think you already have NO clue and they'll price it low.

Doug H.

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Toy Trains are cool. Right by my house is "Chi-Town Trains". This guy took an old building that was falling into ruin and opened up the most amazing Toy Train staition you will likely ever see. Check out link above.

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Did you know toy trains are just like women's breasts??

-

Both intended for small children,

both primarily played with by adult males.

10. santa fe 2343

santa fe 2343 Member

List the numbers on engine and cars I have a book with values

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Pics are important. Is it tinplate, 3-rail, 2-rail, O gauge, O27...

What state?

12. avery53

avery53 Member

This is interesting, I have a box of them tucked away somewhere. 50's I think.

avery

13. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I FIND THE TRAIN BOOK VALUES TO BE WAY OFF EITHER WAY. BEST WAY TO FIND VALUE IS TO GO TO EBAY, SEARCH THE COMPLETED AUCTIONS BY EACH CAR/ ACCESSORY NUMBER.
    SUCH AS LIONEL 2026. YOU WILL FIND A VARIETY IN DIFFERENT CONDITIONS. I FIND THE TRUE VALUE OF SOMETHING IS WHAT FOLKS WILL ACTUALLY PAY FOR IT. LIKE ANY
    COLLECTIBLES, THERE ARE VARIATIONS AND ODD PIECES THAT ARE WORTH MORE. GARDEN VARIETY SETS THAT WERE SOLD BY MASS RETAILERS LIKE SEARS BACK THEN ARE NOT WORTH MUCH UNLESS THEY ARE LIKE NEW. LESS POPULAR AND RARE CARS THAT WERE HOBBY SHOP PIECES AND SPECIAL ORDERS CAN BE SUPER HIGH. SOME BOXES ARE WORTH MORE THAN THE CAR ITSELF! GOOD LUCK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.