1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Towing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by hrosik123, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

At months end I'm making a move to the great state of Tennessee. Was wondering if I could tow my 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with a car dolly? This would save me lots of time and money. Any input/advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Chuck

2. ctreay

ctreay Member

Front end on the dolly and drop the rear drive shaft. Fast,simple and foolproof.

ctreay

3. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

I was worried about weight. Dolly is rated at 4500 lbs wich I think should be fine. Just wanted a second opinion

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Make sure you pull that drive shaft like "ctreay" suggested. With those car dollies, its important that the angle of your tow vehicle hitch and the trailer are not too extreme.

As for weight, my 1/2 ton Crew Cab 4WD weighs 5,600lbs. Better check your vehicle weight. I wouldn't think you want to overload that dolly by a 1000lbs. I've only used them for little lightweight vehicles.

5. porky

porky TS Member

When you pull that driveshaft, just make sure that the fluid from the transmission doesn't leak out.

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

Disconnect the driveshaft atthe "U" joint nearest the differential(--9mm--end wrench) and secure it so it wont fall on the pavement and you are goo to go.

7. farm boy 49

farm boy 49 TS Member

I flat tow my 08 dodge 1500 4x4. The book said to put the 4 wheel drive in neutral and the transmission in park thats why I bought the dodge. I tow mine all the time.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

farm boy, good. Makes sense to me. I have only used dollies for front drive cars.

If weight is a consideration what's wrong with putting the back wheels on the dolly and locking the steering? 4WD in Neutral, of course.

HM

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Back tires up on the dolly WILL NOT WORK! The weight of the engine and all will wag the rig like a puppy playing with a butterfly. Once the whipping starts, you will NOT be able to control it. If the book says ok to the transfer case in neutral, I would go that route, but the heavy end of the vehicle needs to be up on the dolly, or at the front of the trailer. Like any other heavy duty job, never forget that weight and size makes things very complicated in a panic situation. Drive in such a way that you will not have to make panic moves at high speeds. Good Luck

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Also try to make the hitch line as straight as possible, or if you have to stop fast the hitch will make the rear of the tow want to raise up

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

With a 4 wheel drive all you have to do is put the transfer case in netural. It will isolate the motor and transmission from any moving parts.

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You can get a rubber plug to stop the trans from leaking out the fluid. Once you take off your driveshaft use some good tape to hold the ujoint together or you will be buying a new ujoint because of lost parts from the old one.

As for the dolly remember you are not loading all the weight on the dolly just the front weight of the truck. Yes you will be towing all the weight plus what ever you put in the truck. On weight is one thing and towing weight is another. Ask the place where you will be renting it from on the rules of weight.

If the cost of renting one is to much you could always buy a used one and or buy a new one. I have seen them for sale in the paper and on Craigslist.

Let us know what you decide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.