1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Towing Car Hauler with RV - Help Needed??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WindyCity, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WindyCity

WindyCity TS Member

I currently own a Super C Diesel motorhome and want to purchase a car hauler open aluminum trailer to pull my car and golf cart. I am researching different websites and was pointed out that the maximum length allowed (in Indiana) is 60'.

I need to order a 24' trailer to pull what I need and my RV is 32'-11". The overall length of the 24' trailer is 28'-3 1/2" which is definitely over the 60' maximum combined length.

I have seen many RV's pulling long trailers and they have to be longer than 60'. Does anyone have any experience with the law and their measuring practices or if they leave RV's alone.

Any help is appreciated.

Yours in sport,

Cory

2. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You need to talk to Indiana. Most trucks are over 60-70' these days. Most RV's pulling a trailer are an accident waiting to happen.

Ya ever drove anything 60' long?

Had a friend get nailed in NC a few years back pulling a huge 5th wheel racing trailer with a F350 dually. They showed him no mercy, and he had the tickets to prove it.

It all depends on how lucky you feel, and how big a jerk the cop is, when it comes to traffic laws.

3. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Add in the length of the car sticking off the trailer. Once you get off Interstate tougher rules apply. Made a friend remove his car from the trailer and wife had to drive it separately.

Don

4. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Different states have different laws regarding towing. Some states allow triples, some don't. Same way with total length, it will vary between states.

There are plenty of guides available on the internet, the above is one. It is broken down by state. As you can see, 65' of combined length isn't unusual.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If you get the wrong DOT officer he will shut you down on the spot. Been there and done that. There is a length restriction in alot of States and 1" over is over. Just like truck drivers must do, it is your responsibility to check and obey each and every State law that you will be traveling thru.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.