1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Towing- a car

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bh, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bh

bh TS Member

you can tow a blazer 4X4 without the dolly is yours 2 wheel drive?

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

There isn't a neutral between 2 hi and 4 hi? Every 4 wheel drive I've had (1 ford, 1 jeep and 4 chevys) all have had a neutral somewhere in the transfer case whether it was in the shift lever or buttons on the dash.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

There's all wheel drive and 4 wheel drive. Some are full time and some actually have a neutral. Still a bad idea to tow because of the possibility of no lubrication. Free wheeling hubs between the wheels and vehicle hubs or a dolly. A stabilizer may help. It's like a long shock absorber like device that will help keep the vehicle straight.

4. wrzone

wrzone Member

I have towed a 96 Blazer 4X4 for approx. 40,000 miles 4 wheels down using Remco drive shaft disconnect no problems.

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Ross, the problem might be that there is more weight on the ground than on the dolly. May have something to do with it. Ya need more weight in the front, so I bet if ya turned it around it would work, but that would defeat the purpose. Just a thought tho.

GneJ

6. Mr. Lester

Mr. Lester Member

It sounds like you towing it backwards and that is not going to work well at all.
    Lester

7. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

This may be a silly question, but - "Is your steering locked? If it is locked, how much play does it have?" This was the first thing that popped into my brain, then Trapshootin Hippies idea of an imbalance between the front and rear of the towed vehicle. If there is an appreciable difference between the front and rear, with the back being heavier, you will definitely get a tail wagging the dog effect. The front of the towed unit, when there are two axles on the ground,( I know, one is on a dolly, but the theory is still valid)should be the heavier of the two, so as to make the lighter back end trail in line.

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I used to trailer tow a front engined sports car and never had any trouble. I got rid of that car and replaced it with a rear engined sports car. I thought something broke on my hitch, trailer or tow vehicle, it was scarry. An old truck driver suggested I back the car on and get the engine weight in front of the axles. That is what cured the unstable trailer problem. Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.