1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Towable vehicles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RECHTENBA, Jun 26, 2013.

1. RECHTENBA

RECHTENBA TS Member

Can anyone give me input as to what vehicles are the most towable behind motorhomes? Most including Jeep have restrictions. Your experiences please.

Dale Rechtenbach

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The ones I have seen have been towed by a dolly by the front wheels. They are front wheel drive. That way you don't harm the drivetrain. If you don't use a dolly then mark down the mileage that you tow them so when selling the car you let the buyer know how much towing it had and how much driving it had.

3. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Just bought a motorhome myself and a new tow dolly. Have two front wheel drive cars - can tow either. Lots of restrictions on flat towing though. Best thing for that is a standard transmission or 4-wheel drive with a transfer case you can put in neutral. Both of those can be flat towed with no issues. Anything else, you need to use an auxillary transmission pump for some and/or disconnect the driveline.

4. oneidcharlie

oneidcharlie Member

I flat tow a GMC Terrain with no problems as they are made for that purpose, also GM makes others that can be towed 4 wheels down. Look up Good Sam RV and they should have a list of towables. Towing on a dolly is a pain. Charlie

5. MaxumImpact

MaxumImpact TS Member

I have been towing behind a motorhome for 30+ years. All kinds of Jeeps, cars, trailers and the one I just got is by far the BEST... A 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. It must have Quadra-trac II transmission to tow 4 wheels down.

6. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Jim & Gwyn have a Trailblazer AWD that has a dash switch that allows flat towing. Nice feature.

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I tow a honda civic stick swhift. Bought it used for a song and tow it 4 down. Buy something used-reasonable and enjoy it. pcheck some of the other tow companies for info. I use a demco tow bar and think it is the greatest. Easy to hook up and light weight. They also make the faceplates for the vehicle,. I have installed the faceplate myself. Probably about 2 hours work and can be a do it yourself project. most no cutting or welding required and they have great directions. demco-products.com. you also tow honda crv, chevy equinox in automatic. Cannot tow most of the toyotas, mazda,vw,and many fords. motordoctor

8. shotgunner50

shotgunner50 Member

Dale,

I have towed for ten years the last six being a 2007 ford edge 2wd. I now have 110,000 miles on the Edge with approx. 20,000 miles towed with no problems whatsoever. I have flat towed this vehicle since it was new. Transmission in neutral and ignition key in first position to unlock the steering. In this mode miles do not register on the odometer when towing. If you would like more info PM me.

M Taylor Shotgunner 50

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I've successfully towed my Honda Element AWD and Saturn Vue. Both tracked like a laser.

10. thunder

thunder Active Member

We use a 2008 Jeep Liberty and really like it. Takes 10 minutes to hook up and go. The Jeep is also used as a daily runner for the wife.

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Contact "Motorhome" magazine and see if you can get a copy of their 2013 Dinghy Towing guide. It lists which makes can be towed and what you have to do to tow. It lists over 75 different models of cars and trucks. Also shows you the different equipment you may or may not need. They publish this guide every year.

Be careful of the free advice you get as it could get costly. Yes you can flat tow a front wheel drive car if you get the right one. Tow dollies work but they can become a royal pain.

Personally I tow a Jeep Liberty at this time. But have towed other Jeeps, Chev. Malibu over the years. Pay close attention to your tow bar, I use a Blue Ox and it has saved me a couple of times with no damage.

Enjoy.

Don

12. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I towed a 2005 Jeep Rubicon from California to Fla. behind a pick up no problem what so ever and it did not count the towed mileage.

I would recommend a Jeep because it gives you riding comfort and the ability to go pretty much anywhere you want on a trip.

13. rw993

rw993 Active Member

Ford F150 w/auto trans is towable 4 down.

Rw

14. dirt stirrer

dirt stirrer Well-Known Member

rw993,

Tell me more about the F150 towable feature. I towed an old '93 Dodge Dakota around the farm, it's how I get around when by myself, and also to keep the hired hand running in the field, I shag stuff back and forth dragging stuff to field. Dakota was a 5 speed. Crashed it last summer and looked for replacement. I am not big on the travel towing knowledge, only that I needed a transfer case if getting an auto tranny. Found an old '93 GMC full size 4WD half ton. Working well, but also noticed that the pickup I tow it with sometime, a 2008 1/2T 4WD has not transfer case shifter or button. I'll go take a peeky at this list above, but I just assumed if no X-fer case button, I could not tow it. The '08 at some point will become my beater truck, and hoped I could tow it someday.

TIA,

Cary

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have always wondered why guys tow instead of using a trailer? Is there some downside to a trailer? Just asking as obviously I don't tow a car with an RV.

16. dirt stirrer

dirt stirrer Well-Known Member

I tow around the farm (Flame Engineering tow bar) because bar folds up flat under front bumper of towed pick-up, then it becomes my fuel wagon and gopher truck,and I don't have a trailer sitting around in the field. Another piece of equipment to worry about.

YMMV

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Start with this document.

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Then read more on this site.

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Ok I get - weight and space. Makes sense, save the trailers for things like boats and sand toys.

20. reilly2101

reilly2101 TS Member

I have flat towed my last 2 ford edges, 2008 and 2012. No problems and they do not record the miles you tow them. Go on line and look up dingy towing and it will let you know what you can tow. Happy rving. It,s fun

Search tags for this page

2009 trailblazer towable