1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tournament traveling vehicle

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Nuts, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

Guys\Gals share what vehicle you use to travel to the club, tournaments etc. What have you done to customize them for holding shooting gear, to make them comfortable while at a shoot. What are the must have options etc. Pictures would be great.

I put on about 30,000 miles per year, between work, going to the club, and traveling to shoots. I'll be replacing mine this year, and am looking for advice, must haves are 4x4, and large enought to carry 2 or 3 shooters, SUV or Truck.

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Cessna 170

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Unless I get a 5th wheel, it will be a Suburban with a custom gunbox in the rear. It's got to have a lot of room, seat 4 shooters, and have enough engine and suspension to pull a camper.

4. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Subruban, Yukon XL or Denali XL

5. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Ditto old cowboy except I would go Cessna 180for the extra speed and power.

The new Tahoe/Yukons are over 21MPG and look good.

Randy

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

I have used a Suburban in the past and it worked very well except there was always something that I ended up tying to the roof (tent, extra chairs, etc) If I had put a suv vault in it it would have been perfect for up to 4 shooters. I now use a Silverado extra cab 4 door truck with a tonneau covered bed. This will also work with up to 4 shooters but would be much better with a truck vault in the bed. I think the Suburban was better and I may be going back to one of those or a Ford Excursion which is a little bigger yet.

--- Chip King ---

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

On the few occasions when I can get away for a larger shoot. My buddy has a Suburban that carries 4 of us with all our gear/guns very comfortably. The last trip he got 19.5 mpg with 4 people and gear and it's a 4x4.

ss

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

F-350 SuperDuty crew cab 4x4...with a cap on the back has had more room than ever needed..very comfy for long hauls...tows like a dream V10 4.10s 5 spd auto OD Captain chairs interior

9. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Nuts,

Theres no doubt about it.A full size SUV is the way to go!!!!!!
    Room for five pasengers and all your gear.Iv been using one for
    thirty years shooting and wouldn't know what to do without it!!!!!!! A Tahoe.
    Sandy

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I use a Ford Explorer. I have had 4 of them and all have served me well.

Pat Ireland

11. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Chevy Avalanche with a gunbox in the bed. It has built-in storage in both rear quarter panels and the rear seat folds down if you ever need to carry 4x8 sheets of plywood or whatever, Rides better than most cars I have owned and gets 20+ MPG when loaded. JRM

12. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I saw a guy open the back of his Sub and he had a big steel gun case similar to a toolbox in the back with a huge log chain and giant pad lock on it to keep anyone out..

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Hey guys he said 4x4 is a must have. The airplanes you guys mentioned only have 3 wheels. LOL

14. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

We the Mrs and I take her Caliber seats fold down sleeps us 2 on air matress gets 30mpg on the highway, guns in cases are locked and covered up when not in use and locked in car. Night comes guns are up front and towels over windows, doors locked and its a lil RV.

Jerry

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Also depends if you have to haul dog Kennels in the off season, then a crew cab pick up with a lockable cap is preferred.

16. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Jim,

I never cared for the flying characteristics of a 310 especially the older ones. They can be kind of a handful at times.

Single engine taildragger, it has to be a 195. I know they are a little heavy on the controls at slow speeds, but are a delight once trimmed in. Oh and did I mention it's a radial. As I was once told by an old Navy pilot, he carrier qualified on the Kitty Hawk in a T-6 in 1946, "A round motor will always get you home"!

Single engine tricycle, a 206. That baby is the winged version of a 'burb. The good ole saying with these is if you can get it through the doors it'll take off. That ought to be good enough for 4 trapshooters:)

ss

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

GMC Envoy Denali....sweet ride..lots of power...

18. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I drive an enclosed SUV.

Mine was built with a dedicated cargo area, so I spent less than $50 and built a custom carpeted (but removable) equipment organizer to hold my shooting equipment for the range. Going to a shoot I can load into it and on top of it.

For that kind of yearly mileage, I can't see buying anything less than an "8" and more likely a diesel. With all that amount of time in a vehicle and in close company with other folks - for your comfort and conveniece you're talking full size "something"... get a full towing package for the trans cooler whether or not you'll tow...

I imagine the truck would have to be a "Club Cab" or one of the full size or extended SUVs so everyone can get in and out... depending upon what your trade is should also impact type of vehicle purchase.

respectfully offered,

Jay

19. maka

maka Member

2005 chev tahoe carries 5 and shooting stuff. 20mpg w/5shooters

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

4 Door full size pickup with a shell. Necessary accesories include a folding gun rack, folding chairs, a roll of astro-turf and a cooler big enough to hold a case of beer and a case of bottled water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.