1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tournament Style Grand American

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Cherokee Kid, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

Shooting, (unless at one another), is a competitors sport not an opponent sport.

In competitor sports you really compete against yourself to post as high, or in golf, as low, a score as you can. Best score wins.

Opponent sports, like tennis, you have to outplay, outsmart or overpower an opponent.

Granted, someone might get lucky along the way and beat a big dog, the last 4 rounds would still be the same guys that can shoot better than 98% of the rest of us.

2. guncase

guncase TS Member

The A.T.A. would NEVER go with that!! This game is supported financially by 95% of the shooters that don't have a prayer of winning,,, still shoot and compete. If they don't win somewhere along the way. they can't go to the Grand???? Just won't work,,, the big dogs need the little guys money too!

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Squibb:

No offense intended but your post is unlikely to generate much serious discussion. The proposal can best be described as a solution in search of a problem. It is replete with non-starters and lacks even a modicum of merit.

sissy

4. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Nuts!!!!!!!!!!! Roger

5. biff

biff Active Member

Squibb, they have something like this already--it's called "Champion of Champions. Every winner of the champiuonship 200 singles from each state compete at the Grand for the coveted title of Champion of the Champions. Is this what you have in mind or an elemination type individual vs. individual? That would take too long. biff

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Can't and won't happen (unfortunately) as the ATA sport as we have now relies on "Non-Competitor's Supporting the Competitor's".

Curt - Delaware

7. Recoil Sissy

Squibb:

You’re missing the obvious.

By definition, shooters with AA and AAA averages shoot high scores virtually every time. As a practical matter the B, C, and D shooters will be gone as soon as they get paired with the AA/AAA guys. It may happen in the first bracket or it may be in the early rounds of the first shoot off. Either way, the B, C, and D shooters will be toast.

Under the current system, everybody with a 200 straight shoots off for champ, runner up, third, etc. Most of the 200 straights are people with AAA or AA averages with a smattering of A’s and precious few B, C, and D shooters. Maybe you can think of examples where B, C, or D shooters won the top honors at a state shoot. I can’t.

My point? If on their very best day the B, C, and D guys can’t win top honors at the state level, what makes you think these underdogs have a snowballs chance under your proposal?

sissy

8. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

rev, what part of the best of the day don't you agree with? I think there is nothing wrong with the format the way it's run now. The Grand American is not set up as a tournament it's a contest best of one hundred birds with shootoffs of the ties. You want it set up so the best shooters will win every time. No way guy. It's a hundred bird contest not several weeks or days. If it was run the way you want it the only persons ever to win would be the ones who shoot several hundreds of targets each week. Get over it, guy you don't get to buy the Grand American title. Dan

9. guncase

guncase TS Member

Right,,, miss and out would be great!! Drive 400 miles, reserve a room for 3 days,, shoot at the first target,miss, pack up and go home. yea,,like that's gonna work!!!

10. Recoil Sissy

Squibb:

I'm a sucker for a happy ending and I normally cheer for underdogs. However, your brackett style tournament suggestion is equivalent to pairing those cute little white baby fur seals with polar bears. In the unlikely event a seal wins, you're going to pair him with another bear.

Make enough such pairings and one of those cute little seals might someday kick the all them bears behinds. Maybe, but I'm thinking a lots of seal pups are going to have a lot of bad days before the bears lose.

sissy

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I think the "Grand" should primarily stay with the format we have at present with a slight exception/variation and that would be the C of C Event.

The C of C event would be shot by the winners and runner-up's of the their respective Zones. Those person's would have had to win their state shoot to participate. The bracket should start at the state level, then the zone...then the grand. Could even do like some sports tournaments and have a "Loser's Bracket" for those that need their ego's soothed.

This format will take away the "luck factor".

Curt - Delaware

12. biff

biff Active Member

Maybe I could make a little money if I could sell one of the networks on the idea of televising the Grand or at least some of the color and maybe a few events the first year and then going for deeper coverage when it goes over and the populace gets hooked the way I am in seeing targets turn to "Black Smoke!" I just may have to talk with the ATA big dogs to get an exclusive contract for television rights, I'm already envisioning the large motor home I'll buy from some of the money I'll get. Maybe I'll buy myself a white suit and a large Al Capone fedora and wear two tone shoes; heck maybe I'll adopt the name of Colonel like Elvis's manager did! Dare to dream BIG!

13. Recoil Sissy

Squibb:

The first three words of my initial response were, “no offense intended”. I meant it then and I mean it now. However, I’m puzzled.

Your first words were, “Please tell me why this would not work.” Several people have done so. However, nobody has jumped in with a comment like, “hot dang Squibb, that’s a heck of a good idea!”

From my perspective, all sportsman shooters - rifle, pistol, center fire, rim fire, and shotgun people are good guys. I appreciate informal plinkers as well as the most hard nosed of formal competitors. That makes you a good guy.

It’s your suggestion that lacks merit. Please don't take it personally. Its the message not the messenger.

BTW I offered the fur seal/polar bear analogy. Here’s another animal reference regarding the bracket idea, “that dog won’t hunt”.

yours in sport, sissy : )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.