1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tournament shooting out of reach 4 the avg worker?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    With the high cost of reloading supplies, new ammunition, and the recent economy, is tournament shooting out of the reach of most average workers in our country?

Years ago, the tournament shooting attracted mostly professional people as participants, doctors, lawyers, owners of industry etc, as trapshooting was never really meant to be for the average working man. In Europe most participants were of royalty. With the advent of reloading here in our country, the average working man could shoot tournaments, and have done very well and some are in trapshooting's history books with their achievements.

With the high cost today of guns, ammunition, entrance fees, and travel cost, has tournament shooting gone back to it's original roots of mostly professional people as it participants?

I knew a few great shooters here in Wisconsin that have worked average type jobs and have made their mark in our sport. Some of them are the very best Wisconsin had to offer. Nowadays, is tournament shooting mostly shot by people with professional type jobs?

Steve Balistreri

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

3. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

You think trap is bad steve you should try sporting clays.

4. Jacob Guthrie

Jacob Guthrie Member

I don't think its out of reach, shooting 15 tournaments a year yes. But I know a lot of average workers that can get in 3-4 tournaments a year. Maybe not the whole tournament but at least part of the tournament. I put myself in an average workers field and I make as many as I can since trapshooting is nearly my only hobby I make it a priority to shoot.

5. senior smoke

When I first starting shooting in 1970 I was shooting 1,000 targets per week. Before long, I was shooting just tournaments on the weekends and shot no leagues and or practice targets.

Since the cost of ammunition and reloading supplies have gone up in price, I am sad to say that I have just been shooting some practice and 30 bird events during the winter.

Since I retired, I have been working part time so I can stay in the sport and possibly one day start tournament shooting again. I believe that the average working man can still shoot tournaments, maybe not all three events at each shoot though.
    Steve

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The economy has effected many peoples lives and I'm afraid we haven't seen anything yet ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

WPT nailed it. It will get a lot worse. The only guns I own that will hold value are rifles, pistols and hunting shotguns. I expect to lose 50% of the value of my target shotguns as the sport continues to lose interest.

Senior Smoke, an average worker can afford to do whatever he truly desires. The new reality is he cannot afford to shoot trap, and own a boat, and have a cottage, and take a cruise every couple of years, and buy a new car every three years, and have seasons tickets, and send the kids to college, etc etc. Trap will fall off the list because people will have less money to throw around and they will have interests that, for them and/or their families, have a higher priority.

Don Verna

8. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If shooting is your only hobby,You can still shoot some tournaments. You have to plan & save. If you want something bad enough,you will find a way. I have a couple of fund raisers (legal) that allow me to shoot several tournament shoots every year. I shoot mainly the handicap events the last few years. Clyde

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

WPT is right, we have to hit bottom and we have not yet

10. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

Lets say the "average worker" wants to be a tournament shooter. He would most likely shoot one tournament a week. That's about normal for any pastime. If a person is to enter all three events at a shoot the entry fees and target costs would run around $100 (the last person I talked to had $120 in a shoot before ammo). Add the cost of 12 boxes of ammo. Figure minimum of $6 a box equals $72. Now add travel expenses and an average cost of a shoot easily runs over $200. If the "average" working man makes $20 an hour then a pastime that costs that much to participate in is definitely out reach.

Oh, the average working man won't be shooting a krieghoff, perrazi, or kolar either.

Joe

11. senior smoke

All of you make a lot of sense.
    Steve

12. missed some

missed some TS Member

It's been that way since the 70's. I started in 1980, went to two or three shoots and gave it up until 1996, couldn't afford it before that, not sure i can afford it now, but there are worse habits. mark crist

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

14. Highrise

Highrise TS Member

i am a 43 yo married father of 2,,,,have worked ever day in my industry since i was 18,,
    I have over the past few years become fond on trap and have been shooting ATA for 3 years. I love it and will continue to shoot but wonder all the time what is the attraction, spend 35 a hundred plus ammo and travel expences to maybe win 50$,,,
    The sport in general just does not add up.
    This past weekend for example, at the PA shoot,,,,do you really want to travel down to PA and lodge for 2-3 days, pay all the entry fees and ammo prices, food, etc. to watch the regular group on top of the leader board.
    I know its about the bigger picture and will continue to participate,,,,,but is anyone surprised by the decline.????
    Let me think?? kids education, electric bill, house payment, insurance, heating oil, car payment, and on and on and on,,,,,,
    The average guy does not stand a chance!

15. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I used to shoot 2-3 times a week, sometimes more. I went to the Grand last year, and made the California state shoot this year. But those days are over--the expenses caught up with me, and now I can only afford shooting once a week, and even that's a stretch. It's an expensive hobby, particularly when you're single and loaded down with a mortgage, car payment, medical bills, etc. They charge $7 a round at my club, and that means I cannot afford to shoot much. And yet I get the feeling that the worse is still to come.

16. Three Yellow Dogs

Three Yellow Dogs TS Member

The sky is not falling. More kids are shooting more than ever.

Wisconsin will finally get home grounds.

The glass is half full, not half empty!

17. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Ride together, split a room, buy your reloading stuff in bulk with other guys, and shoot only enough practice to be on top of your game.

The above was my shooting life in the early 90's when I started.

Face it, even if you shoot the winter trap league you'll spend $20 to $30 on league night. Normally not a deal breaker unless you drink, smoke, play cards and gamble.

18. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

"All of you make a lot of sense. Steve"

Too bad you don't.

ss

19. plaw

plaw Active Member

I hear this echo from all you guys and i agree, I gave up league shooting so i can still shoot some registered targets and i am picky where i shoot. I have two local clubs that shoot for 16 & 17 dollars per hundred, I save to go to the grand and shoot for 3 days, & have just finished my state shoot. I too use this as my only sport.

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

IT kind of took the wind out of my sails when you hang an 8 or a 9 at a big handicap shoot, play all the options and win very little $$

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.