1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tougher Targets ??????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoosier, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

We have only gone over this subject 50 times in the last year. I guess one more time will accomplish nothing again.

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Its not an issue of tougher targets... It an issue of access, friendliness (sic?) and willingness to invite our friends, family members and business associates. ATA membership is entirely another issue altogether.

Most trap clubs are private, offer little if any public access. Many private clubs and those that offer some public access that I've been to are cliquish (sic?) and cool to new shooters. Better trapshooters prefer to shoot with folks who already know how to shoot trap well, so their squads run with a smooth rhythm or cadence. Pre-squadding would not be so popular if folks preferred to squad on a FCFS basis.

If ranges would open their doors, and existing curmudgeon (sic?) members would be more inviting and friendly, you could have as many new folks shooting as you could handle.

My public range offers instruction through our parks department program guide (which our club plays host) and our "open" shooting is open to anyone who already knows how to shoot a shotgun. "Trap" experience is optional, but we're always willing to assist recreational plinkers, hunters, skeeters and sporting clays folks.

As a Range Officer, I specifically segregate newer shooters from those who know how to shoot trap - because we're selling recreation/entertainment and newer shooters require a greater degree of supervision...

It's not that people don't want to shoot trap, its that access to friendly trapshooting is wanting... until we walk the walk, unfriendly, private/semi private clubs/ranges can continue to die off, leaving more patrons for me! BTW, our numbers are up and increasing = more profit $$$...

Not rocket science here folks, regards all,

Jay

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

You're gonna receive a litany of reasons as to why people shoot sporting clays rather than registered trap.

It's been hashed, rehashed and triple hashed on this forum many times.

From my perspective I see alot of shooters not having the time and money to shoot registered trap on a competitive basis. As they do not practice enough to become competitive nor attend enough shoots so as to not get penalized, they gravitate to a shooting sport that requires little self discipline in the mediocre ranks.

There's also those shooters that have a ego problem, so when they cannot be in the top 10% in competitive trap they move on to sporting clays where missing targets is condoned by many.

Curt

4. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Target variety

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have never went to a shoot and asked what color, who made the targets, what hole are they set in, what kind of machines, real pullers or voice calls, and the rest of the parade of questions that many people ask ... I usually ask whats on the menu for lunch and go and shoot ... Proritys, you know ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. Lyle

Lyle Member

I don't know if missing is "condoned" in sporting, but certainly is expected.

There are some fine shooters in sporting clays to be sure. I do beleive, however, that the top trap shooters would be dominant in sporting if they were to shoot sporting all the time..................that was really not the question though was it?

I can tell you why I have not shot much trap in the last couple of years. Finances are a big reason. To be competitive in trap I would need to shoot shoot shoot and shoot some more. I think trap is very much a "brain stem" activity or you might call it "muscle memory" activity. You need to shoot a lot of it for it to become a subconscious activity and to be successful you need to be able to reach that sub conscious "zone".

In sporting, for me at least, it is more of a reaction game rather than a repetitive game like trap and I think someone shooting a 90 in sporting has a sense of accomplishment rather than an experience that was "no good" in trap with a score of a 90.

In trap, the challenge is mental, in sporting the challenge is both physical and mental...............

For me, trap would be more fun if they threw a 70 yard target to make it less of a repetitive activity.

Enough ramble..............Lyle

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

The object of shooting is mainly to have fun . Sporting clays are great but too expensive to be a weekly hobby and too far away for most clubs , done that for years including Trap shooting . Having a home club is the best and one that throws many forms of targets. You don`t have to shoot ATA targets to have fun either , cut my numbers down to 600+ per year . Your out there to beat yourself anyway but local competition is also great . Most want to shoot 16yd targets only , others do Handicap and Doubles . We also throw in some Wobble which we did often when we got the new machine but tapered off this year to almost none ?? So there are variations !! It all depends on what YOU like to do . Some people never get better but still come out regularly because it is a shooting sport and maybe pistol and rifle just isn`t in it for them . Thank God for that because we are Trap only and we get more people every month . Whatever you like , remember that all clubs need your support .

8. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I used to shoot only trap and wasn’t bad. I averaged 12,000 shots a year. I did this for 8 years. Now I shoot sporting clays and FITASC about 90% of the time, averaging over 10,000 shots per year for the last 6 years. I only get to shoot trap a few times per year now because of my location. There are 5 sporting courses in my area, 2 within 30 minutes and the others within 1.5 hours. My nearest trap range is 3 hours away the next one even futher. So…… My shooting choice has to do with LOCATION. I bet that’s the reason for many other shooters as well.

To address the snobs in BOTH sports all I can say is they are completely different games. To me, trap shooting is a concentration game. Trap targets are quite easy but require INTENSE CONCENTRATION not to drop one (or more) and you have to maintain that high level of focus for an extended time. That aint easy! I could do that to some extent and I am/was a better trap shooter than I am a sporting shooter.

Sporting/FITASC has very difficult, if not near impossible shots that are all thrown in pairs. A good course is set up that the best shooter in the world could not shoot a perfect 100. Generally courses are changed weekly so you cant learn the shots. Missing is not condoned but must be accepted. Sporting requires that you only have to maintain your concentration for a very short time. Step in the cage and shoot 4 pairs or so over a 2 or 3 minute period then take the 10+ minute move to the next station and wait your turn. LONG INTENSE CONCENTRATION IS NOT REQUIRED like in trap.

So…to compare the games is not fair to either sport. The only thing they have in common is both use a shotgun. A great trapshooter might only be a so so sporting shooter and a great sporting shooter might only be a mediocre trap shooter.

I still think of myself as a trapshooter (that’s why I visit this site daily) even though I only get to shoot real trap less than dozen times a year. If a great trap club were within range of me I would go back to trap 100% in a heartbeat.

Mark

p.s. I don’t know who thinks trap is more expensive. It is not. Typical 100 target sporting is $35-$45 (plus cart rental if you dont own one). 100 trap targets is $20-$25, in my neck of the woods. It takes ME the same number of practice targets to compete in either.

9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Do you have any figures on trapshooters turning to sporting clays? I don't know of a course in NW Ohio? Clyde Doll

10. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

My experience shows that one thing about sporting clays that most people like is that they are hid from everyone else. In trap you're out in the open and everyone can see you shoot. Sporting Clays however you're most likely only shooting with your buddies and the whole world isn't looking at you.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

As Lyle said, there's absolutely no way you can fairly compare SCs to trapshooting!! Sporting clay shooting courses are constantly changing target presentations!! That alone prevents perfection or assumed perfection as we have in trapshooting! Which is best? Depends on what blows your skirt up! The mental challenge of trap or the difficulty of figuring out what sporting clays are actually doing with the speed, angles and sizes of the targets which change!

Hap

12. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

I dont need tougher targets I need targets that self destruct!

13. Lance S

Lance S TS Member

Tougher targets aren't the issue. Unless your shooting 100 straight there is plenty of challenge in trap. I do believe there is a move to sporting clays but not just from Trap, from Skeet as well. I shoot all three because I like the diversity. I believe your trap shooting will suffer if you shoot the other games but I am not good enough for it to bother me.

I believe the real serious Trap shooters should stick to trap if they want to succeed in competition.

I say this because I have a good friend of mine that was a registered shooter in skeet, when he shoots alot of sporting clays, his skeet numbers goes down a bird or two.

14. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Lance has it right. But I still think some of it has to do with the club makeup. Trap Clubs tend to be older shooters and Sporting Clubs are generally a younger crowd. So...the new younger shooters normally join the group they fit in with.

Still think much of it is what hot in your area and what types of clubs are nearby. Most of the country is not like PA or OH where on every other block is some sort of shotgun club.

15. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

If there is a flaw in your fundamentals, FITASC will find you out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.