1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tough to win when you can't afford to miss

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Tough to win when you can

I'm out here shooting at Livermore Ca.Today was the 200 singles. Shot a 191. Not bad if all your looking for is bragging rights at the dinner table at home. Don't mean squat at the range. Plain and simple; you miss---you lose. One miss and you're shooting for fun thereafter. Going back tomorrow for the handicaps. Besides, just how many 100 straights can these guys shoot? LOL Jim

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They are using a shotgun with hundreds of pellets in every shell they shoot. It is almost impossible to miss. HMB

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Heck! NASCARS worse! 100's of laps at 200 mph without hitting the wall! How can these guys do this!

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They just put it on cruise control. HMB

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Make up your mind you "want" to hit the target, not that you have to and that could make a difference ... Phil Kiner gave me that advice some years ago and when under pressure it seems to work ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I really don't care what everybody else shoots. I can't control how they shoot, only how I shoot. I just want to shoot the best I can.

My goal, each time out, is to raise my average. If I do that, well, I've had a successful shoot.

I shot a 98 in singles yesterday. It raised my average. I'm satisfied with that.

Those guys who shot 99's and 100's? More power to them. They shot great.

7. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

If you don't miss - you win..

FRedmon

97th Annual NC Trapshoot - June 2-6, 2010 ------ Be There

8. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

More like, If you don't miss - you tie & get to shoot off.

No defense in this game, don't worry about other shooters, just shoot & enjoy.

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jim.... I'm here at Livermore too. You must be somewhere else for the 200 singles event. There was only one 200 in the event and that was by Dave Kelly. The bulk of the scores are in the tank, mine included. Very low scores overall, for all the events. Very few 100's. The turnout is really low. I'm just guessing, but I would say it's down about 20%, or better. Of course, the final tally will probably show it's less than that. Lots of empty parking spaces eveywhere, and all the trailer spots aren't filled. Don't know where everyone is, but, they sure aren't here. Just finished the 2 100 handicap events, and scores are bad there, too..... Nice place to shoot, but, very tuff targets the past few days. Shooting all orange targets where we should be shooting orange domes with black rings..... Just my take on it.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

10. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

I read once that the difference between the "Top Guns" and us also 'rans' is that the "Top Guns" shoot to win, we shoot not to lose. Very simply.

11. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Dan, it only takes one person not missing to validate my thought. I agree that the scores aren't what I'd have expected. This is new to me. But, I'm improving fast. Shot 93 and 92 from my handicap. Which for me is actually bad here at Livermore. I shoot 24's and 25's most of the time in practice. I'll chalk it up to the pressure of the shoot as I'm still new to it. But, that's going to pass fast. I don't see myself shooting 100's this year. But next year you will. Kelly is fun to watch as he smokes a lot of targets from the 16 yd line. Just being behind him to catch him missing one makes me feel good. I've won some money here and that makes me feel good. Getting a piece of the action only inspires me to improve. I'll be at Kingsburg. AND, I'll be in the mid to upper 90's there for singles and handicap. No doubt. Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.