1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tough target or bad shells?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bodybuilder, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

The other day I was doing some practice shooting alone at my little clay target range and when I finish I always go out and pick up all unbroken targets, I found one that had been hit 7 times but did not break, It had 2 clean holes and 5 that Looked Like the pellet flattened out on impact. I was using some cheap shells. Is that Just a hard target or bad shells? Maybe bad shooting or it would of had more shot pellets hit it.

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Sounds to me like a bad hit. I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers or anything. You probably just caught the target with the fringe of the pattern. Therefore the target recieved a lite hit. That is one of those targets the fly through the air and look like Halley's Comet!

ec90t

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

If you had 7 hits on the target it was in the center of your pattern. I can not imagine the target being so hard that it caused the shot to flatten in impact. Also, a hard target would also be a brittle target and break easily. Soft targets are the ones that will not break easily.

Are you certain the 5 apparent shot hits that did not go through the target were really hits or marks produced when the target hit the ground?

ec90t- Your suggestion indicates that shot at the edge of the pattern is moving with less energy than shot in the center of the pattern. I suspect this assumption is not true.

Pat Ireland

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Just for consideration ... if you are in a cold climate and those targets were cold they will be without question harder and at times will not break when hit.

5. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

The targets had been stored in cold weather, I'm pretty sure the marks were made by pellets not ground impact because of the look and they were on the top part of the target and the target was lying face up.

6. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

targets wet by chance?

If most of your targets don't break when they hit the ground, I'd suspect you're storing the cases outside and the targets are absorbing quite a bit of moisture.

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

It's not so unusual to see holes in an unbroken target, it happens. The 5 spots are probably flaws in the target. Sounds like your personal range, do the targets look like they spin properly?

8. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Probably both of you are correct, Target were stored outside in the wintertime, As for spin I'm not sure.

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Maybe you weren't standing right ... have you thought about different shoes?

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

That wasnt me talkin no lite hit excuse.

11. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

It is my belief that a target that is not spinning will not fly. Have you ever tried to throw a Frisbee without putting any spin on it? When setting distance on targets I have been out to the marker and tried to catch a target thrown by an old Winchester-Western machine and it tore my hand up something fierce. Again, I believe a non-spinning clay will not fly.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Aluminum targets are very hard to break. HMB

13. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Before becoming an ATA club, we shot Lawry's exclusively. Lawry makes a damn fine target. My scores haven't changed due to the switch. They are also great people to deal with. My opinion is that people who say a target didn't break because it's a Lawry are full of it.

brett d.

14. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Jerry, I don't think he meant that it was not spinning at all just that it wasn't spinning as much as it should. This is a true thing as far as targets not having enough spin on them being harder to break. Take a hard target and then put very little spin on it and you will wish you were shooting 3 dram 7 1/2's from the 16 yard line.I suspect that most peoples home thrower's won'r put the spin on the target the way a professional type trap will when properly set. Centrifugal force helps the target to break up.Jeff

15. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

Do different trap machines throw targets with more spin ?? Such as Winchester vs Pat traps or Super Stars ?? I was told that the Winchester machines throw a better target with the most spin . How true is that . By the way , we use all Winchesters at our club and the throwing arm and rubbers are cleaned every month .

16. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Generally from what I've observed, machines with the longer arms (PAT, old Winchester) throw targets with more spin.

17. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I've listened to the target brand complaint so many times that I decided to prove my point. I loaded a Remington automatic machine with alternating columns of targets. Used Lawrey's, Winchesters, Federals, and even some old Remingtons we had on hand. Got three shooters to shoot from both the 16 yd line and the 27 and give me their opinions. All the targets were full orange so it was impossible for them to tell which they were shooting. Final result was they were all good at the 16. The Federals were too hard to break from the 27. All targets were stored in an unheated building. How can I say there is an advantage of one brand over another. Purchase price determines what we use. Those three no longer complain about brand of targets!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.