1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tough Primer Caps

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lowhioverall, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lowhioverall

lowhioverall TS Member

My friend's a long time reloader and recently bought and tried Fiocchi primers
    and to his (and my) suprise, some 2 to 3 per round didn't fire. Same batch of
    hulls with Wiinchester or Remington primers - no problem. Sometimes, ejecting
    the shell, inserting and rotating it would fire. We both suspected his Seitz
    has weak spring or is dirty. A vendor at the Michigan Shoot said it is
    because Fiocchi primers have as tougher cap and thus needs a stronger hit from
    the firing pin. Can this be true?

2. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

When set at proper depth, and shot through my pgun, have not had one not go off after shooting thousands. Bruce

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

In the many 10's of thousands of Fiocchi primers I have loaded and shot.. along with my friends.. The Winchester AA has more non fires than the Fiocchi. I have different issues with Fiocchi.. but misfires are not one of them.. I'll continue to use them exclusively in warm weather.. Good primer.

4. drh08

drh08 TS Member

It also appears that Browning O/U show this pattern with Fiocchi primers in the lower barrel more than others for some reason.

5. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

I had the same experience with a batch of these primers. The firing pin would hit the primer hard enough to concave the whole face of it.....not just making the ordinary dimple. Had shot some before and some since with out a problem.

Darryl

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Not only hard primers, but my last sleeve of Fiocci's had a bunch of European size primers mixed in.

Wound up DeLoading a bunch of shells when the primers fell out after reloading!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.