1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tough day at the gun club

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Well I have a month into going back to college. It has been tougher than I originally thought it would be, I am starting to get back into the grove of going to school again.

Test wise, my papers have earned me a few A's and a B+. I stay pretty much to myself, as I don't have much in common with these kids that I am in class with.

I felt like I needed a break Sunday from homework and attempting to take care of my elderly mother. One of the local gun clubs started their winter 30 bird events Sunday. They offer 15 targets at 16 yards, and 15 targets from the 24 yard line.

Have you ever had a day of shooting that nothing went right? Well, that was the result of my day of shooting. I started off with a score of 7 out of 15 from the 16 yard line, and about a 12 or 13 from the handicap.

On the next event that I shot, as I standing on the line to shoot, I stop the squad, as I realize I had no shells. Then as I am walking to the line, I drop 3 shells, and than the adjustable comb falls off my stock as I forgot to tighten it down.

As I was shooting, I started thinking about things I have to do for school, start thinking if my mom is ok? Needless to say, I had a rough start to the winter shooting events.

One thing nice about the shooting sports is that next week is a new day to shoot. Who knows, maybe I will run them? After I was in the car driving home, I recalled a sticker that I once saw at another gun club on a car bumper. It said "a bad day at the gun club is still better than a good day at work", how true.

Take care,
    Steve Balistreri

2. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

what class are you taking in college?

ps - definately start some conversations with the "kids" in youre class. you will be pleasantly surprised

3. 87AA

87AA TS Member

I had one of those days a couple of weekends ago. Of the 100 shots only one of them actually felt good. The other 99 felt like my brain, body, and gun where 3 separate components doing their own thing. I shot the worst sporting score ever. The good thing is that there's always another day and another shoot and that was proven this past weekend.

4. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Steve, I Understand 100%. Shot At the Roadrunner Trap Club On Sat. The 8th Oct. And Had A "Weird" Day. 200 Singles And 100 Handicap. little cool That morning So Had To Shoot In A Jacket. Ran The 1st 25 Then The AIR SHOW At Hollamon Air Base Started, Needless To Say Things Went "Downhill. The Base Is About 3/4 Mile From the Trap Club. I Can Not Count How Many "Planes" I Shot At And "Missed" But, Did Not hit The Target either!!!The Noise was So Loud The Voice calls Would "Shut Down". But, Had A GREAT DAY Visiting with Friends, So It Was Not A Total Loss. I "Think" I Saw (1) Of The Pilot's Fly Out Front Of The Trap House And Give Me The "Finger". Not Sure But, I Think He Was Grinning. Joe W.

5. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Tough day at the gun club Steve, but some great rewards in Heaven for you for caring for your mom!

milt

6. senior smoke

Milt:
    I am in the library and thought I take a look at my thread for a minute. Thanks for the kind words Milt. I will admit that taking care of my mom is not an easy task, especially at her age. Steve

Sportshot:
    Operations management, real estate, economics. A friend of mine asked me yesterday if I plan to work after I get my degree? I said no, my days of working are over, just fulfilling a promise I once made.
    Steve

7. porky

porky TS Member

Steve, Sometimes you need to realize that you cannot save them all and you cannot undo somethings you meant to do when you were younger. I remember when my back needed an operation, by my trying to live with the pain, I forgot that it affected my family more than it affected me. Sometimes you have to take in the whole picture and go from there.

8. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

You hang in there,Steve!...on campus and at the club! Both will give you many good days to come.
    Talk to some of those kids. Just be like, prepared to , you know, like accept the, like, totally new and, like, awesome vernacular of the, like, young people...or, like, whatever!
    At the club...think, "Hug the gun....See it break!...Pull!" It will come around. Martinpicker

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Well Steve, if it's any consolation you gave me a big laugh. Every once in a while I have a day like that when everything goes wrong and my focus is nonexistant. One such day I fired my fifth shell and headed down to post 1. When I got there I noticed everyone was looking at me. I pulled my earplugs and said "what's the problem?" The guy next to me sheepishly replied, "Well, after shooting post 4 most folks go ahead and try post 5." Humbling.

-Gary

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Go ahead and mingle with the kids, but if you go to a party with them, and they offer you a drink called a "Mind Probe", don't try it!

Took me 3 days to recover.

11. senior smoke

In the library checking in. I am tired today. My wife said to me this morning that I never say I'm tired when I am on the way to the gun club???
    Steve

12. lboh

lboh Member

I think they are playing Jedi mind tricks on you. Most colleges are traditionally liberal and gun control advocates. You need to shoot more than 30 shells a week or you may not be saved.

13. senior smoke

I'm done for the day attending classes. I am in the library again, as it seems as this is surely becoming my second home.

Interesting economic class I had today. Some kid asked me as we were waiting for the professor to arrive, what type of shoes I was wearing, as he never saw that type before??? I told him wingtips. Then he asked me if I was a Republican as I was wearing a sweater vest and a tie? He then asked me real quietly if I was a Nark?

As I attempted not to laugh, I lowered my voice and whispered to him not to blow my cover. About a minute later he got up and sat a few rows over.

As you can tell, I stick out like a sore thumb.
    Steve

14. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I don`t want to be a Devils Advocate but maybe at your age , your not able to take on more than one task at a time and be good at both ???

15. gotbass

gotbass Member

Steve - Maybe you should loose the tie and sport a "Keep the Change" t-shirt. Bound to make you a lot of new friends. Maybe wear a cup too.

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Steve, dump the Mr. Roberts clothes and go gothic!

17. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Your mother sounds like she is old enough to take care of herself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.