1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Touching up a stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kolared person, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

If you get a dreaded scratch,chip, or ding in your wood use brown wax shoe polish to touch it up. It works fine for me!

2. hreinke

hreinke TS Member

Thanks I'll try it

3. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I've also used Birchwood-Casey's Tru-Oil and a fine paint brush. Use the stock conditioners as a polishing compound. As far as a small dint; use a damp cloth and the tip of an iron. Be careful and take it slowly. Damp heat will expand the wood and will remove small dints. Darrell

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

If the finish is in place the iron trick will not work. The water has to pass through the finish to the wood.

5. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

Correct JerryP. Also, if the wood fibers are broken, the wet heat will not be nearly as effective. Dent impressions work well, but if the wood grain is broken, go with the filler method.

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I had a chipped finish, probably a spray-on on a shotgun. I removed the flaking material and used True Oil. I foprgot where I made the fix and now even I can't see where the problem was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.