1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

totally OT: photography

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Prince, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince

Prince TS Member

As I said, OT.
    I am thinking of taking up wedding photography (having some finacial difficulties and am trianed ..like 30 years ago)... Anybody have advise for an old newbee??

Many Thanks,
    Greg Prince

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Wedding photography? You couldn't pay me enough to do that.

I assume you have the proper equipment already?

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Probably have more business doing divorce photography, whatchathink?

4. Prince

Prince TS Member

yeah, I used to hate the thought (years ago)... but if I can make a few bucks, what the heck???
    I am certainly open to ideas..
    gregprince@hotmail.com

Many thanks

5. Prince

Prince TS Member

PS, do not have the equiptment...

6. Brian in Oregon

While some wedding photographers have gone to digital, many are still using Hassy 6x6's. Either way, the investment is not inexpensive for quality. The reason I asked if you had the equipment already was that you mentioned financial difficulties. The basic camera and lens or lenses, plus lighting and accessories, will run several thousand dollars. Prices are especially bad right now with the devaluation of the dollar.

7. Prince

Prince TS Member

Brian, thanks for your kind response... I think that the days of the hasselblad are pretty much over for the middle class...I recon that this is a huge financial venture... that may go bad (this is why I ask this August forum). I used to shoot Mamiaya (sorry sp) and Rollie's..but I think digital is the way that it is going to be..
    I might not be able to work this, but if I can shoot a simple wedding for, say, $400, it's an idea..
    Thanks again,
    Greg

8. Prince

Prince TS Member

Yeah, I got this idea as I just did my brother's with a 7 meg sissy cam... Thanks
    Still open to ideas, If I can bring in a few hundred a month, I'd be happy...

Thanks
    Greg

9. Billster

Billster TS Member

Have recently 'retired' from portraiture/model portfolio work. Starting to do a wedding here and there. I'd rather have my teeth pulled in the kitchen but...they're getting incredible $$ for a well done wedding shoot - i said 'well done'. I've gone over to digital, built a computer to handle the flow, picked up a Canon 5D (probably the best bargain in high end cameras today) and L lenses. Elinchrom 600W with octabank and 580EZ flash. Considering selling the Hassie 501C kit with backs/accessories. Ain't NOTHIN' like a properly done 6x6 neg to b/w portrait (unless you're talking large format). GAWD I miss the darkrooom. Rambling here. Good luck. It's a new world, this digital. Pros and cons.

cheers and Merry.
    Bill

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

This thread reminds me why I retired from wedding work. 23 hour days, evermore demanding brides, the Uncle Elmores and their Instamatics, art director mothers, cake-in-the-face shots, more formal portraiture...

I still like my Mamiya 645's (1000s, Super, Pro) better than anything. Loved the 6x4.5 format, and didn't have to crop negs. For the formal shots, I used an RB67. Bigger negs, and impossible to beat for tripod mount. My portable flashes were a Quantam QFlash with 2 Turbo batteries, and a 200 w/s Vivitar 283 conversion. My 800 w/s Speedotron was hard to beat for formal settings.

It's very difficult to beat a good negative from the older Vericolor film. For all the touting, digital prints just don't have quite the depth that a good negative brings.

Best,
    Dennis

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I have an acquaintance that stuck with his 35mm Nikon, maybe two bodies, and started doing photos for those in his church that just couldn't afford the real pros. It became a burden on him with more jobs than he wanted but he continued to be a good church member. He stuck with the film (can't remember which) and would take it to a 1 hour developer and then meet with the families for ordering instructions. He found a local printer that would satisfy these needs, buy an album or two, and put it all together with enough profit to keep it running and provide the extra dollars he wanted. Perhaps not setting yourself off as a super professional and being the local economy photographer might fill your niche. Were it me, I'd want to go digital but you'll need the quality camera gear and computer with all the programs to do the job. Like some others, I'd have an anxiety attack even thinking of taking on that work. Breakemall....Bob Dodd

12. biff

biff Active Member

Greg, Snapshot and I are professional photographers with a full time studio. We now specialize in families, children, and high school seniors. We stopped doing weddings about 5 years ago right before we went digital.

As DB Bill said it can be difficult with some of the higher end weddings. If you have never done a wedding before it would be a very good idea to start out by assisting a professional wedding photographer at some of the weddings they do. This will give you and idea of what the sequence of weddings are, the equipment needed to do one on your own, and to actually see if you enjoy this line of work. Many people see wedding photography for the first time while attending a wedding of some acquaintance and think that this photographer is making X amount of dollars for just shooting pictures with their camera. If you plan on doing this for the money alone, my advice is DON'T! There are alot of photographers doing photography for just the MONEY, it is only work to them and photo equipment is only a TOOL to do a JOB with--it's a business for making profit. Of course it is a business and sadly many photographers miss the point of having passion for creativity and their photos show it.

Do you have a camera? Have you been doing pictures of your family? Do you enjoy taking pictures of nature, people, or things? It is something that can be learned from a technical sense, but it should be something which is challenging to your creativity and keeps you feeling like you have never taken the best picture of your life, something that keeps you slamming yourself against the best you have ever done in order to better it!

I started photography as a hobby many years ago for self fulfillment and like trapshooting is for me now it became an obsession. I knew so little at both that I knew I had a vast amount of catching up to do so: I read everything I could on the subject, talked with people who were better than I, practiced it as much as I could, and learned more from my mistakes- and Trap has been very similar for me. If the desire to do it is there, it can be like anything else in that you WILL put forth the effort to succeed.

Is this advice, I'm not sure. Good Luck. Biff

13. Prince

Prince TS Member

Some good advise here, as usual.
    Biff, I have a day job that is incredibly stressful and filled with much unhappiness, hence the thought of doing something creative appeals to me.. (I get that this type of work will also carry it's stress. I do intend on following a pro around to get the sense of it...
    Anybody advise me on what kind of used digital equiptment I ahould look at? I know next to nothing (professionally) about flashes.

Again, Many Thanks.
    Greg

14. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I used to use the Pentax 645 model. You can go "Auto" with it, including flash system, or full manual, or Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority. It is fairly small, light, and costs a lot less than its Mamiya or Hasselblad counterparts. I used mine with a Sunpak 644 flash. At least I think that was the model. Its been a long time. Anyway, I backed it up with the Nikon F4 35mm, with SB24 flash. If it were me, I would go with the Pentax, they are still available at the better used stores, and arent that pricey. Steve

15. biff

biff Active Member

Greg, If you are going digital......you need to be a computer whiz! If you are a photographers helper, they will probably have extra equipment to use for them--but as DB Bill says you either need an understanding about basic photography. You need to know about the types of natural light, metering for correct exposure, depth of field, and how to use the equipment without reading the manual in order to do what needs to be done. Yes, wedding photography can be stressful if you don't know what you are doing or how to operate your camera and take pictures that people will cherish and be proud of. This is not something "if you screw up" you can do it over, also there is liability if your pictures don't turn out. Would you want to hire someone to do a once in a lifetime job who doesn't have a clue what they are doing or are just a beginner. You are taking on a very huge responsibility and to jump in not knowing what equipment you need nor an inkling as how to use it is almost naive. Having done weddings for almost 20 years, what you are contemplating is almost unbelievable. Weddings would be at the top of the food chain!

My advise again would be to find a photographer and offer to help free since your skill level is beginner. Please don't think I'm talking down to you cause I'm not! Photography is great and we love it, but with the advent of digital cameras, more and more people are doing their own pictures so the market isn't as big as it used to be. More people now are coming to us to get the pictures which they can't do themselves or for our outdoor photography. When I started I did as I advised you and have taken seminars and workshops from some of the best photographers in the country.

If possible when you get some equipment, buying used quality products will stretch your buying dollar and buy from reputable dealers who will stand behind their sales. With this equipment practice on family and friends till you can get the look and quality that others who are interested in having their pictures taken would be willing to buy.

Taking classes doesn't always provide the type of knowledge that the buying public is interested in and besides will take longer possibly than you are willing to wait. I was intersted in photography all my life and have been taking pictures seriously for 35 years, during this time I have learned to see and value the beautiful and oft times overlooked little things in our life. Good luck with this as a journey, enjoy all the things along the way because the destination will be the sum total of all those things. I used to teach photography, one of my best students was an old red neck truck driver who went on to best me and all others in photo competitions; he said he valued photography because as he put it, "It taught me to see!" In his travels in his truck he would see a sunset or a beautiful scene and never think anything about it till he took photography,, then he saw the beauty of it!~ Best wishes and Merry Christmas, Biff

16. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I bought a Canon 30D this year to upgrade from my Leica for Ebay and other stuff.
    What a great camera. Makes me feel like a paparazzi. Takes absolutely fabulous pics. Mine came with the 28-135 Image Stabilization lens. I've done some practicing in different lighting, and I believe I could take professional quality pics all day. I bought a couple extra batteries and a large CF card.

In a pinch I could be a wedding photographer, but I would never want to. I take it to flower shops and do close ups of every flower for my desktop wallpaper.
    Really, to do a wedding these days as other guys stated, you need two digital hard drive pro video cameras, mics, tripods, wireless gear, and all the other pro gear and editing software associated with them. Very expensive. I'm talking $50,000 worth of gear to do it right and be competitive, and you'd be able to do more than just weddings. I just sold that much gear for a guy that folded his video company.

For just pics, I think a mid grade or higher digital camera with a high quality IS zoom lens would do it on the cheap. If I had the extra dough, I would buy two lenses and sell the one I have now. I would get a zoom lens in the range of 18 to 70mm for close and wide angle shots, and a longer zoom lens like 70 to 300 for zooming in close and long range shots. The lens I have now just doesn't do long range, but it still works well as an all purpose lens, and for close ups. A second body and having the two lenses would be the ticket. I've seen local newspaper photographers carrying three cameras with different lenses at local events.

Knowing how to reconfigure pics is a plus. Get the best Adobe software you can buy.
    Just my opinions after a little experience.
    This pic is of two flowers that are about two inches across total.

17. BMC

BMC Member

I sold all of my Pentax 645s just last year. After 15 years using them, I still miss them, but my work forced us into the digital age.

I agree 100 percent with Biff....developing an appreciation for photography has a unique way of allowing you to see things most others do not, or things often taken for granted. Being in the automotive photograghy biz, I learned to see natural light in a way that is difficult to describe. I've tried to explain it to people while on a location and most still just don't see it.

For a modern digital photographer, photo editing software is your best friend. Not only will you need to learn the nuances of digital photography, but those of the particular camera as well as how to edit images.

Another option to explore if you are serious about making some extra cash from photography is to hook up with your local soccer leagues. I know several guys who do the weekend games on the side, usually they have a kid in the league which justifies them being there. Most started out taking photos of their kid playing and took images of their teammates as well. Other moms saw the photos, loved them, wanted some and were willing to pay for them especially since the shooter has a "professional" persana.

There's a couple hundred bucks per weekend to be had doing it if you have the time and can connect with the right people, such as a coach, etc. Don't just show up and start shooting, they'll think you are perv or something..lol. Just an idea that has worked for some people I know.

18. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

I work for a drag racing magazine and I would'nt touch wedding with a 10' pole. Just turn on the TV to the court shows and look at all the deadbeats suing to try and get out of they're photo bill's. There are a ton of other stuff you can shoot to make money. The link above is some stuff I shot in Orlando Fl. in october.

19. Prince

Prince TS Member

Biff,
    I am wondering if you would be so kind as to email me?
    Thanks in advance!
    Best,
    Greg Prince
    gregprince@hotmail.com

20. Brian in Oregon

Bib Dodd, that's an excellent suggestion - doing weddings for those who can't afford high end photographers. That could be a good niche.

I bought a good 8 megapixel SLR for the wife. I may have to get one for myself for everyday use. I've been using hers more and more for what otherwise would be 35mm work. The drawback is I have a lot tied up in lenses that aren't compatible with digital bodies. An adaptor is made, but only for telephoto lenses.

I'm still using my Pentax 6x7 (2-1/4" x 2-3/4") camera for scenics. I don't think digital is quite at the level of it for very large murals. And it would cost so freakin' much to replace it with a high end digital and lenses that I could buy a pickup load of 120 roll film. I can't see replacing this system with digital for at least a decade, if ever in my lifetime. BTW, as good as this camera is for scenics, it makes a lousy wedding system due to extremely low shutter speed for flash sync, and only one leaf shutter lense is available anymore (a 165mm).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.