1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Total knee replacement

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BeerKing, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

What kind of recovery time before you are ready to stand out there and pound away at 3-400 birds with no pain. What did you do for therapy. I am in my 9th week and by the end of the day the swelling and pain are really pretty bad. I kicked all the pain killers becasue they were messing up my internal workings. I wanna shoot

2. a budine

a budine Member

It varies widely - I had mine done two years ago - still have trouble with it. There were some complications :-(. By the end of 3-400 birds, I can barely walk and have to ice the hell out of it. My shooting partner had the same procedure, ten weeks out and no problems at all. Makes me jealous as hell. Push the physical therapy as hard as you can and don't give up on it. Good luck.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

My wife has had both knees done +/-4 yrs ago with total replacements. Were she a shotgunner, she would have had to give up the game. She does have less pain in the knees but one is better than the other, a walk around a small block is about it, but she has other issues (like being 70 I guess) that adds to the problems. I, too, have seen that recovery "varies widely" and can say that those that really REALLY stick to the physical therapy well have the better results.....Bob Dodd

4. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Beer King,

That's easy...chug a cool one...shoot a round...chug a cool one...shot another round. Repeat as necessary. If that doesn't work, call me and I'll shoot for you for as long as you pay for the shells and targets.

Smok'n Joe

5. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Had them both done at same time at age 62. Back shooting about a month after surgery but it wasn't the easiest thing. Heck, one of my friends brought a chair out for me to finish the first time I tried shooting. Water therapy was probably the most effective of all I tried..just walking around the pool at the "Y" for about a half hour a day was probably the best PT of all they dreamed up. That was eight years ago and (knock on wood) I've never had a problem with them. Was back at my desk about two months after surgery and back to regular job at about four months. Now, eight years later, No problems, and no pain.
    Big Jack

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

As you can see, your mileage DOES vary on this procedure.

One thing that should be mentioned is that it has been medically proven, studies and all that stuff, that healing is quicker if you DO take the pain meds as prescribed. Lots of "mano a mano" types think it's better to "tuff" it out, but things heal quicker if you take the pills. Just stay away from the alcohol.

Bruce

7. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Thats what I would have done in the old days but kind of frowned upon now.

8. FNG

FNG Member

I had a total knee replacement Feb. '08. Prior to that, over the years I'd had two other knee surgeries and three shoulder surgeries. For all the prior surgeries the doctors said I could push recovery as hard as I wanted and that I didn't need to worry about doing any damage by pushing too hard; the pain would make me quit before I did any damage. Not so with the knee replacement. during the last visit with the physical therapist at about three weeks post-op, she pushed it too hard and I foolishly gritted my teeth and "took it". That set me back about two weeks. I went back to work about six weeks post-op and was shooting at about twelve weeks. That fall I was following my bird dogs around the countryside with no problems. I couldn't ask for a better result. As others have said, do the therapy, but be careful. There's a fine line between pushing hard enough for a complete rapid recovery, and overdoing it to the point of delaying the recovery. Best wishes.

9. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

I have been doing lots of walking in the timber and riding a stationary bike, moving the seat up and down to get the flexation working. Any other recommended exercises?

10. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I had total replacement on both knees last July 21. I turned 63 on August 10. They had me up on a walker the next day, just to the door of the room and back. The following day it was to the end of the hall and back, the next day climbing some stairs. If I remember correctly the surgery was Tuesday around noon, and I went home Friday afternoon. They had a nurse come to my home to check my blood for a few weeks (to see that I didn't develop clots), and a physical therapist come about three times a week to visit me. About the Wednesday after the surgery the PT guy asked if I could get around without the walker, so I walked down to the end of the hall and back for him. After that I got rid of my walker and cane. The PT guy came to my house for about three weeks, and then said I was to a level above where he expected me to be, so my surgeon had me go to an outpatient PT facility until just before Labor Day. I was doing great then, and my wife and I had a vacation trip scheduled, so we called it good.

I used a toilet extension for a few weeks after the surgery, and arms with chairs for a while, to make it easier to get up from sitting. I was driving again within two weeks. Our big four-day shoot at the Club was about three weeks after I got out of the hospital, and I cashiered the whole thing. I did shoot a couple of handicaps during it, but found the cashiering and shooting both a little tiring, so did not shoot as much as usual. About five weeks after the surgery I did shoot 300 singles in a marathon with no problems. I stayed off work until after the August shoot (I could have gone back easily after two weeks), and then worked until I retired at the end of August. My office was on the third floor of our building. I used the elevator for about a week and a half, and the stairs after. On our vacation we drove to the Oregon coast for Labor Day, then down to Monterey, CA, and back again to Pocatello via Yosemite and central Nevada - no problems.

My motivation for working hard in rehab was two hunting trips I had scheduled in late October/early November. I had a great time on both, riding horses and hiking in mountain terrain, and collected a nice mule deer buck and cow elk. Again, no problems hiking up and down hills in steep mountain terrain and snow. The year before the surgery, in the same areas, there were places I just could not go in a reasonable amount of time because my knees were so bad. I'm scheduled to go hunting again in the same area this fall and am really looking forward to it.

I still do not run, but can walk long distances without pain, have no trouble shooting, have full mobility and range of motion in both knees, and am doing great. I'm very pleased I had the surgery done, and am glad I had both done at the same time. Also, on the pain meds, I used them sporadically for a week or so, but most of them are still sitting in the medicine cabinet.

11. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Hi Beerking.
    I have had both knees replaced at different times. Also a hip replacement and a disc removed from my back. All done in my early 70's. There are a lot of variables that will control your recovery time. My advice is take the meds when you need them. Take sleeping pills to get a good nights sleep. Do not cheat on your rehab. Go to a rehab clinic rather than doing rehab at the house. Keep a strong workout routine after your rehab period is up. I am back to shooting trap now an gradually shooting better.
    Good luck to you...................SMOKIT

12. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Beerking,

As you are probably aware everybody is different, I had total right knee 5 weeks today.
    Went back to work 2 weeks ago (self employed)first few days were tough but am now doing 12 hour days on my feet all that time.
    Was back to shooting competition after 2 1/2 weeks, only 100 targets and that was enough.
    I am 60 years young and will have left knee done later this year.
    Had both knee's done with internal halves 10 years ago but now they are worn out and time to do totals.
    Had epidural, Doctor explained and talked me through total operation, showed me old knee parts as well as new prior to installing, was fully conscious during operation, will do left knee same way.
    My incentive was to be well enough to travel from "Downunder" in July to attend Iowa State and then the Grand, everything is on track.
    Operation was at midday and had me up walking at 6pm same day, was walking un-aided around 1/2 kilometre within 12 days. physio 8-10 times per day was the contributing factor.
    Good luck with your recovery, summer is just around the corner and there are targets to be shot.

"Release Trigger" aka. Gary Kennerson.

13. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

Beerking

You will be tired of hearing range of motion for that new knee, a good number I was told is 118-120 degrees, it comes slow and not without some pain,I get to the GYM 3 times a week and still get sore after 18 months, and 2 knees.
    The PT folks say its 5 times harder to get that range of motion back if you slack off and loose it.
    Good luck

Pete

14. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Beerking: You can read all the bull and absorb it as you will. By now, you know it hurts. Don't avoid too many of the meds even though you would like to. Take a couple of Advil or something similar before PT and it takes the edge off the hurtin'. The only good part, it will get better and when it does, you won't mind the hurtin' at all. You'll remember it hurt but you can't remember "pain". Don't let up on the PT. If you have a strong stomach, look up a knee replacement on the internet..those Drs. are better carpenters then most of the ones I know.

Big Jack

15. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Don't rule out a second opinion on what can be done to improve your healing/recovery. I had an ACL repair (granted, not nearly as involved as a replacement), and had terrible pain and swelling. My ortho surgeon came "highly recommended", and I let him open me up again to try to make things better. Things were no better. I went to a lawyer who told me to try another Dr. (in fact he recommended the new Dr. by name).

I went to the new Dr. He opened up my knee (3rd surgery), I walked out of the hospital pain free, and never looked back.

16. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Hey "Release Trigger" look me up at Iowa, just ask for "Beer King and Beer Camp.

17. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Beerking,

Will look forward to it, I have been lucky enough to attend Iowa State 98 thru 2004, but due to ongoing medical problems have not been able to attend since.

I am recovering from total replacements of both shoulders, left ankle fusion as well as Prostate cancer all in the last 18 months, now the knee's are the icing on the cake, but then again we all have our own problems.

Cannot wait to re-new old friendships and to shoot those "easy" Iowa targets again. (LOL)

Keep up the physio and it will all come together before you know it, as Big Jack says the meds do help and it certainly is easier if the pain is less.

See you in the Summer (88 days from now, but who's counting) it's amazing how quick we forget the pain when it's gone.

"Release"

18. 682LINY

682LINY Member

10 knee surguies scince 1978,, including one reconstruction 1978,,one total replacement 2003 and a revision in 2010,,,and some other tune up work,,,,if you want to talk knees let me know,,,,off to work now,,,,started shooting about 8-9 weeks post op,,,did not feel good shooting till about 5 months post op,,,,Bill Goscinski ATA # 0211236

19. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I had mine done 6 yrs ago---I am now 73 and play golf 3 times a wk and can walk 4 mi any time---shooting is the easiest of all sports---Most who have trouble are way over weight---I don't know how much longer mine will hold up but it was a life saver---They have better surgeries now based on new tecks---U have to live through the pain---it goes away and stay thin---gL---sjb

20. ddsflyer

ddsflyer TS Member

My son is an Orthopod and has done a zillion of these surgeries. His advice: Don't push it. everyone heals at a different pace. Do only what you are COMFORTABLE doing. If it hurts, don't do it. Do NOT take anti-inflammatories, NSAIDS, or aspirin containing compounds. If you need pain meds, don't be afraid to take them but avoid those compounded with the aforementioned anti-inflammatories. Use ice for swelling when necessary. Do your physical therapy religiously. Many people have healing problems due to nickel allergy. They are allergic to the nickel in the stainless steel used in some implants. Often they have to be replaced with titanium ones. Unfortunately, many Orthopods to not test for nickel allergy prior to surgery. Nickel allergy slows down healing greatly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.