1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Total knee replacement

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoot619, Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Few questions for those who have had it done. Little about mine, both knees were bad, on the 14th had left one done.
    Most trouble I have had is to get right leg to tell brain it is ok to put weight on it.
    Have stiffness and swelling in left knee keeping it iced down and doing the
    rehab stuff . Have home nurses and therapists.

Have been wondering how long before I can shoot. I know it will take a while before I get full range of movement. Right now there isn't much. I know with rt. knee bad also it will take more time to rehab. Ken U

2. 007

007 Member

I had both done at the same time and it worked out perfect. The best advice I would give to anyone is To work very hard at the P T and get as much movement as you can even it if hurts like hell while working out. I can do everything I did before except kneel. The more range of motion you can get the better off you will be down the road. You will be shooting before you know it. Good luck, you will not be sorry you got it done.

3. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Hoot619.

Have had both replaced, Right on May 2010, was walking approx 1/2 mile within 10 days (60 years of age), shooting within 4 weeks.

You cannot do to much physio, your knee will tell you when you have done enough and then try to do a little more, bend it to 90%-110% or better as many times per day as you can.

Once you get the first one over with the other will become easier as you know what to expect and how to cope, and you will have a good knee to stand on while the other recovers.

I work 10-12 hour days on my feet mostly, knees are not a problem, keeping the weight off so they work properly is.

Regards.....Release Trigger....Gary K.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

There's nothing in there you can damage. Walk or go stiff. It's as simple as that.

5. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

Did both of mine- same time- at 60 yrs old. I was naive about how debilitated I would be for a while, but it only lasted a matter of days. I was out of the walker in 2 weeks, no crutches or cane. I went back to work in 4 weeks. As has been posted here- WORK YOUR ARSE OFF AT REHAB. It is supposed to be difficult and painful, by definition. Absolutely life-altering for me, I hope it will be for you. I was not shooting trap at that time, but I feel I could have begun shooting any time after I went back to work- one month.

6. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear all of you are doing fine with you joint implant. That has been my job for 40 yrs. Making femoral knees and hips, shoulders and so on. Made them for all the major companies in the US and Europe.
    If you have your Dr. give you the name of the company and the serial # on the implant you can contact that company and they can give the every name of that person that handled that knee from the beginning of production to the package.
    Wild Bill

7. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Thanks to all. Pain isn't that bad, will up doing workouts to 3 times a day starting tomorrow. The therapy people I have are darn good. They are here 3 days a week. Pain pills help a lot. They told me I will NEED them. To stay ahead of the pain.
    I'm a candy arse anyway sight of blood,some body hurt or even others telling me of there surgery I can get light headed even pass out. Guy at work telling foreman of his back surgery, I told him I didn't want to hear it. He kept it up---I passed out and taken out of work in ambulance for stitches in back of head.

Hell I didn't read the pamplet on total knee replacement until 3d day after surgery. It doesn't effect me like that all the time but when it does. Oh hell here we go again. I can clean a deer etc doesn't bother me at all. Smile damn it I have to. Can't control it Ken U

8. hoot619

hoot619 Member

b12, thanks that would be neat. But as far as package goes to Doc. But after he gets it and what he does with it I still don't want to know. LOL Ken U

9. leadvail

leadvail Member

Ha! good one Barry!! Got my hip 5 Mo ago and feel good as long as I keep it movin!

Life is good!

Bob

10. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Hoot; Had left knee replaced six weeks ago. Shot 50 rounds ay third week after. Take pain pills before therpy.I was very lucky. Ithrew the walker away at one week and the cain at two weeks shot at three weeks.At five weeks I am just now loseing my back pain from it being not used to being straight.Shot 100 at 4 weeks plus,1.45 and 1.49.

11. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Thanks everybody, my guys are shooting Monday will ask my wife to take me so I can watch for a while. Miss the shooting and Bull Slinging darn good bunch of guys few gals and young shooters. The young ones when they start hitting them good== the look on their faces is nice to see. Ken U

12. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Someone said "There's nothing in there you can damage. Walk or go stiff. It's as simple as that. "

I have to disagree with that as I have had both knees done, the right one twice. A year after the replacement I was lifting something very heavy at a somwehat angle and SNICK... my right foot was facing east and my body was facing north. Later it hurt!! Had to have a revision which is a different less flexible joint. So enjoy, but don't be silly like me.
    Ain't nothin like the original you were born with.
    Just my $0.04

ps: I can tell when the weather is going to change too.

13. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I had a double total replacement Tuesday July 21, 2009 in the afternoon. Wednesday they got me up out of bed to a chair. I tried to support my weight mostly with my arms, but it didn't work too well. The PT guy told me to use my legs. Thursday morning it was down to the end of the hall and back with a walker. Friday morning down to the end of the hall again, and practice climbing stairs. Friday afternoon I went home, with a walker. Monday a PT guy came out to my home for some work. It was either that day or the next that he asked whether I could get around without the walker. I went down to the end of my hall and back without it, and did not use it, a cane, or crutches after. The PT guy came to my house every other day for about two weeks, and then said I had progressed past where he expected me, so referred me to an outpatient clinic. I went there about three times a week until the end of August, and then was done with them. There also was a nurse who came to my house about three times a week for three weeks or so to check my blood pressure and clotting rate.

I went back to work about three weeks after the operation. I could have gone back earlier but cashiered our local club's four-day shoot instead. I also shot two handicap events during the shoot, with scores about the same as my usual. I was driving within two weeks, and climbing flights of stairs at work within three weeks. Down was harder than up.

I retired at the end of August, and took a two thousand mile driving vacation with my wife over Labor Day and the week after. In late October I went on a week-long hunting trip in the mountains, riding horses and climbing around in the snow. I went places I couldn't go the fall before. I have had zero problems and am extremely happy I had them done. The surgery was three weeks before my 63rd birthday.

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Redcobra. He was talking about "putting weight on the joint" (which is the first part of the therapy) not lifting something very heavy and twisting the joint at the same time. That was foolish, even with a pristine God given joint.

15. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

The worst is over. Give it till the end of October and concentrate on healing. The trap will still be there when you're ready. Be careful not to let a therapist push your knee too far. Ten years, 8 knee surgeries, and three knees later, I still live with pain and inflammation every day. Take your time. Ice is your friend.

16. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

I can't add anything to what the posters already said. I too had both of my knees replaced the same day. Best thing I ever did. Pain free is a good thing.
    I can kneel with no problem.

17. Franktri

Franktri Member

Had right knee done after 3, yes 3, hip replacements. Much more difficult rehab but worth it. I can kneel, walk, etc with no pain. Only problem is that the thigh muscles are still tight with little knee stiffness. Will go away eventually, I'm told. Shooting comes when you can stand reasonably well without discomfort but only discomfort I had was during rehab, which will pay off if you are determined. Good luck!!

18. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Thanks again to all. Took the wheeled walker down the gravel drive to road and walked down the road and back. Swelling going down a lot. Feels a lot better too. Will do a lot more walking .Ken U

19. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Worst thing i ever did. 2 years this Febraury. Constantly has fluid on it and is swollen. Cant ride bike or treadmill cause i pay dearly afterwards so of course am putting on weight which does not help. cant bend it put on sock, can kneel down on it. Pain level always at 4, stabbing pain when i sleep, cant be on it all day to shoot and run the club. Wish i would never have done it. Doc says they dont all turn out ok.

20. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Listen to your Doctor.

I know the advice here is meant well, but get the go ahead from your Dr.

I know where you live...

Your Son, Kenny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.