1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Total cost fro the year surprised me

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by HHS, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HHS

HHS TS Member

Made the mistake of keeping a diary of daily costs associated with my trap shooting this year. Added it all up this afternoon and found out I could have bought an new pick-up truck instead of hanging around with a bunch of overweight old men.
    Actually it was sort of a shock to see, I don't think I'll do it again next year. (Diary that is, I'll still shoot the same)

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

To each, his own!

Buz

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I used to spend my money on wild babes, stong drink, fancy dinners and cards, then I squanderd the rest...yes trap is cheaper.

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"I could have bought an new pick-up truck instead"

Yep, trapshooter.

5. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

I did the same thing a dozen years ago. For some strange reason I kept records of loading supplies, shoot costs, etc for the season.

The total was so shocking that I gave up 90% of my shooting for a year and took a safari to Africa instead.

FN in MT

6. k80cmbo

k80cmbo TS Member

My wife wanted to keep track of our cost.I told her if she knew just what we had spent for the year we would never shoot next year.She didn't and we stoped shooting anyway.

7. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

In the mid nineties I used to figure a dollar a bird for however many I used to shoot. Sometimes it worked other times it didn't (too many side bets I guess, LOL). Lately I shoot mostly marathons as I don't feel I'm really competitive any more and don't need to hand my money to better shooters. But I still love to shoot I just need to keep it under control.

8. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

DB Bill,

It IS fun isn't it?? I may go in 08 and finally get a buffalo. I've shot a LOT of plains game, even got to cull a mess of wildebeest one time. So I'm pretty much shot out on the plains game.

I would try to better my kudu as well as hunt bushbuck as I enjoy both species.

You SHOULD regret passing on the lion! When I was over there my motto was "I'm never going to be closer....go for it". They take plastic!!! LOL.

FN in MT

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I as well as any shooter that has been shooting for a long time will have seen many people come and go in this sport. They usually drop out when they hit the wall (24 yard line) or they or wife start keeping track of how much money is going down the barrel of the shotgun. If you need to keep track of costs, you can't afford the sport, except as a casual encounter. It ain't cheap and never has been.

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I killed many animals as a young man, now I just want to inkball clay. Funny how things change... I guess that's why the Army likes them young.

11. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I've also found over the years that taking game has become secondary to shooting.
    I think I hunted in order to shoot, a couple of 1 shot $6000 hunts out west cured that problem.
    I now can shoot 1100 birds over a 4 day shoot and not have to clean nor eat them.
    I still hunt some, but enjoy shooting much more. Age has a lot to do with it also.
    I still head out West now and then but now it's the scenery and friends as much as the hunt. Last couple of times I've come back still carrying my kill tag.

12. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Well I don't know about the shooting costs. I refuse to think about that. I know that I spent $26,000 on trap guns this year and still have them all. What a dummy. Guess I will have to sell more hay. Ben

13. Questor

Questor TS Member

My approach is moderation. I shoot trap incidentally to other less expensive shooting. Budget is a little higher now because I'm learning the game but will probably settle on 4 to 8 rounds per month.

14. shot410ga

Questor: If your going to be anygood at this game you needto shoot 4-8 rounds at least 3 times a week. Inaddition to mounting your gun 200 time per day on your off days. If you can'tafford the shooting buy a computer simulator and shoot the computer simulated targets 200 times a day. Being good only comes from spending a lot of money as well as a lot of work at home.

15. noseeam

noseeam TS Member

Like the young shooter asked the old shooter how much it cost him to get to 27 yard line. The old shooter paused for a bit, then looked at him and said about two farms.

Bocephas

16. shot410ga

noseeam: Yourright, without any question. The old farmer was right on.

17. Questor

Questor TS Member

shot410ga:

If I did that, then it would be a job not a recreation. Sounds like pure drudgery to me.

18. shot410ga

Questor: it is, but that's how you get to be a "Big Dog."

19. Questor

Questor TS Member

Oh well. Ambition has many manifestations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.