1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

toro snowblower help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by verypoor, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. verypoor

verypoor Member

my snowblower,4 stroke,will start and run on full choke but when i switch the choke lever to the run position it stalls quickly starving for fuel.with the choke on it doesnt make any black smoke. any ideas?I kinda need it

2. dustmaker

dustmaker Member

ice in the carburetor, warm it up with a hair dryer and try again.

3. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Most likely you need to adjust your main mixture adjustment screw. That is the one with a needle valve that is located in your carb bowl. What you need to do is tighten this untill it is finger tight and then back it out 1.5 turns. Start your blower and let it warm 3-5 minutes. Then adjust the main spring counter clockwise untill it runs to rich and starts to stall. Then advance it closck wise untill it runs to lean. Note both positions and set the adjustment screw in tte middle. THe other thing I suggest is to take the needle valve out and clean it. You might have a blockage causing not enough fuel without the choke. It is easy to take apart and clean. Clean it with a paper clip and some carb cleaner. I had the same problem.

4. verypoor

verypoor Member

its a briggs. I drained and refilled the gas tank and also changed the plug. no difference.

5. verypoor

verypoor Member

can i remove the needle valve without taking the carb apart?

6. ink ball

ink ball Member

The mixture is lean for one reason or another. Make sure that the screws that hold the carburetor to the block are snug, and that the gasket between the carburetor and the block is intact. If the carb screws are loose, or the gasket is damaged, it will allow air to be drawn in behind the carburetor and cause a lean mixture. If those items check out, then you can likely fix the problem by adjusting the mixture screw or cleaning as described by Catching Chrome", above. If it is like my Toro was, the needle valve can be removed by removing the mixture screw assembly, removing the fuel bowl and then slowly lowering the float. The needle valve is in the carburetor body near the pivot point of the float, and is held in the carburetor body by the float. Here is a diagram that shows where the needle valve is located (item 30 on diagram)

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/cameronsmallengines/2009-12-12_214518_diagram.gif

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

verypoor:

Your problem might be an old fuel issue.

If the problem is caused by old gas, a blockage can occur at the needle valve. As I recall, there's a ball valve behind it.

I would bet the manual for your Toro has instructions (mine does) on how get rid of the varnish and how to adjust the needle valve. If you don't have a manual (I didn't) you can download one from Toro's website using the model and serial number of your unit.

Good luck.

sissy

edited addition: the needle valve on at least some units is easily accessible through a hole in the metal or plastic covering the engine. You don't have to remove anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

diagram for toro 824 snowblower carburetor

diagram oc needle valve on snowblower
how to adjust the needle valves on a toro s-140 snow blower