1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Toro 824 snow-blower- help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slipping into darkness, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

I pick up this snow blower for my son wanted to check it out before I gave it to him, was told it throw snow 20 plus feet. well when I got home there it was, so I started it up sound good went to put it in gears nothing no forward no reverse but was able to engage the blower it worked. shut it oft as was going to check out linkages and puff gas pouring out of muffler lit up, put out fire any help to the problems I have would be most appreciated.

Thanks to all that help and a "Happy New Year" to all and the rest that don't respond.

2. torqueman

torqueman Member

toro uses two belts one to drive the auger the other drives the wheels sounds like one is worn or broken as for the fire clean the carb and check the float ,needle and seat.

3. slipping into darkness

Thank you, torqueman for the fast reply.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Sounds like it has been sitting for a while.

Torqueman hits it.

I suspect there has been some drying and cracking going on. Float has probably stuck open (rust, varnish in the seat). Drive belt dry rotted -stretched or broken.

Not to discourage you, but don't be surprised if you repair these things, and then hit another soon after. It will take some time to get the 'age' off the machine. Once done it should be fine.

I'd go over all the rubber parts really carefully looking for the signs of age. Probably will need to replace a few things (perhaps both belts, not just the one), fuel lines, gaskets and the like.

Good luck with your project.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Here's what it'll look like when you get finished! Good luck.

Hopefully it's an old enough model not to have a chinese engine on it.

6. slipping into darkness

access to the belts, need to what, to get at them? stand on end, panel under neath comes off?? Thanks again and will check all rubber and anything else that looks like it needs update. the linkages need to come off an heated to get the nuts to move, also oily everything that looks like it should have had some over the years.

7. chemist

chemist Member

some blowers have a shear pin that breaks - use a shear pin and not a nail if it needs replacement

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

here should be a cover that is over the engine pulley giving you access to the belts.

Bottom plate is 4 small bolts, easy remove. If you don't have the tank full you can stand it on its nose to mess with it.

Engine should be a Tecumseh Sno-King, very good motor.

There should be a yoke adjustment down where the shift rod goes into the bottom which is to get the neutral position working properly.

The manual is at the Youtube linked above, and you can hit pause in order to read the part you want. Putting it to full screen makes it easy to read.

I am assuming you do not have the 824 Powershift, but rather the older one. There are significant differences. I have had both.

After your learning curve you should not have any problems but if you do PM me.

HM

9. slipping into darkness

halfmile, I would like to talk to you.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

PM sent

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
824 xl parts diagram