1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Toro 22" no go............

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mikeinmich, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeinmich

mikeinmich Member

Seven year old mower no longer self propelled. Had the drive belt pop off once before and that was an easy fix but this time it seems that the problem is in the gearbox. Is this a do it yourself project or a costly factory fix or just time for a new mower?

2. BerettaJ

BerettaJ Member

Toro 22

Had the same mower for about three years and it was a bigger piece of junk from the start then my tired 15 year old mower it replaced. Got tired of messing with it and sent down the road. Extremely under powered too. John

3. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Toro 22

If it's a Personal Pace, it's one of two grades. The cheaper grade is a POS, the better grade is a good mower and worth saving. Most Personal Paces on the market are the cheaper grade. Talk with a Toro dealer and give him the model number...he'll inform you which grade it is.

milt

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Toro 22

Had a Toro Personal Pace myself. I loved that mower but after changing the rear axle gearbox twice and then it went out again, it went down the road. I did have it 8 years. I suppose mine was the cheaper pos Milt was talking about.

I bought a Honda rear drive self propelled and haven't looked back.

You can buy the gearbox thru Toro and if my memory serves me correctly it was approximately $40.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Toro 22

Mine was 8 years old when the gear box went out. Took it to a Toro dealer to trade it in on a new one, the salesman turned it over to look at the deck and said this one was made in Missouri, best mulching mower ever made. He told me I'd be better off having it rebuilt. They had two prices of Personal Pace mowers $300-400 made in Mexico $550-700 made in the states.

I had mine rebuilt for $120, that was 4 years ago. Still runs great.

Wayne

6. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Toro 22

Another 2 cents worth, my Personal Pace Toro was/is my all time favorite mower from a ease-pleasure of use standpoint. Looked like new when I traded it in. But wouldn't last a year of use w/o some repair....usually expensive repair.

Good luck. If you can afford one, get a Honda!

milt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.