1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tornado Brush

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mark425, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I won one of those Beretta 391 cleaning kits in a raffle and it came with one of those stainless tornado brushes. I tried it out carefully and it did work better than a bronze brush...BUT... I was told that a tornado brush would scratch up the barrel and DO NOT use it. Is that true?

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The bronze tornadoes work fine, especially if you wrap a patch around them.

MK

3. JTEA

JTEA Member

Send them all to me! Have used them for 20 years with no problem. I use them to run wet solvent cleaning patches before and after the copper bristles and then dry patches - they never touch the barrel but boy do they help clean. You were just never told how to use them. I have a different rod for each cleaner, brush and fuzzy stick so it's very quick.

JT

4. philk

philk Member

All I`ve used for years on Belgium and Jap Browning barrels, never saw a problem.

5. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Perazzi says that the use of steel brushes of any kind void the warrante. That would include those stupid steel wool glob things. Brass works fine for me so ........

Charlie

6. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Same here, have used them since they came out! No scratches yet!

"Experts" will also tell you not to pull any brush back to you after its gone through the barrel. Remove the brush, then pull your cleaning rod out and then reattach the brush.

Do what works and don't worry about all the different ways of cleaning that are out there.

If your shotgun can handle steel shot, its going to be able to handle a Tornado or any other brush thats on the market.

7. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

The stainless steel tornado brush is probably the best cleaning tool ever made.I have used it for many years on every firearm I own, incl. my .22 olympic pistol. The brush is designed to be softer than ANY barrel, especially the chrome -lined shotgun barrels which are very hard.There isn't any possible way for the Tornado brush to scratch the barrel bore.

Ned

8. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I have used them in my shotguns since the late 60's with not a single problem. Brownings,M12,P guns, Sterlingworths, etc. They are really great.

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I use a tornado brush. Never had a single problem. I do inspect it every time I use it to make sure there are no broken bristles. As long as the brush has no damage, only the round loops can touch the metal. I also use it to support a solvent soaked patch for any wad residue.

I am also not a cleaning junkie that tries to strip the whole gun down to bare metal every day. You will never see me turn a cleaning rod with a battery drill like I have seen some do. I only clean the bore after about 1000 rounds, even though I wipe the outside down with an oily rag every time I put a gun away.

10. fish and teach

fish and teach TS Member

I love mine. They really get the plastic fouling out. Run them through every 200 rounds or so. I also used them on a chamber that was so fouled up the hulls were getting stuck. I shot some break free on the brush and spun it in the chamber until black junk stopped coming out. Gun cycles fine now, well after a little more cleaning of the action. The kid that this gun belongs to now knows how to clean a gun on the inside also so hopefully I won't have anymore issues like this.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not want to brush my teeth with a toothbrush made of something harder than my teeth. I do not want to put a brush that is made of harder steel than my barrel through my barrel. A nice brass brush is harder than the stuff I want to brush out of my barrel and it is softer than my barrel.

Pat Ireland

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

You're fine until you use one a little too long and it breaks off a loop and that jagged edge gouges your prize shotgun. I've seen it happen and helped hone the scratch out. NO tornadoes for me, regular bronze works just fine.

13. TC

TC TS Member

Get the bronze tornado brush, not the stainless one.

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Pat Ireland

"I do not want to put a brush that is made of harder steel than my barrel through my barrel."

Well then stainless steel should work just fine stainless in not harder than carbon steel. It is heavier because it is more dense. It is harder to cut with a saw unless you have the right blade because of the density. Hardness has nothing to do with it.

Still it is steel I would never use one for a more than once a month cleaning job.

Bob Lawless

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- Shotgun barrels are made from rather soft steel. A barrel will expand and contract with each shot and most harder steels are too brittle to withstand this.

Pat Ireland

16. ivanhoe

Pat I worked with that stuff for years. Trust me it is not harder than carbon steel.

The last company I work for in the machining of medals made medical testing equipment. It a all Stainless Steel tubing from 1/16 of an inch to 1-7/8 of an inch in dia.

All the different grades I machined it and cut it to length. I have cut it on a Do-All saw and I have cut it on a wet saw. Believe me it is more dense not harder.

Bob Lawless

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bpb- There are probably well over 1000 different types of carbon steel and about as many types of stainless steel. Barrels are made from softer 0.3% carbon steel. They need to be on the soft side. The specific Rockwell hardness of the barrels is not public information but a Rockwell hardness between 40-60 should be close. Stainless steel (13-26% chromium) has a hardness range of 66 to 74. The addition of Ni, Mo, Ti and Cu will alter the hardness of stainless steel. The stainless steel is also much more brittle than carbon based steel.

Certainly some very hard carbon steel is harder than a softer form of stainless steel, but in general stainless steel will be harder than carbon steel.

Cutting different steels with a saw is not a reasonable way to measure the hardness of the different steels.

Pat Ireland

18. ivanhoe

Pat so are you telling me that you know all about this in your experience or from a book????

Well I will tell you what Pat when you get done reading the book go and Rockwell test the Tornado brush and let us all know just how hard it is please.

When Stainless steel tubing used to come through the door at the shop each crate had to be opened and the QC guy would pick two to ten random samples from the crates and they had to cut samples from them and they were tested in house and sent out to an independent testing firm to meet the specs. Which were included in the crates. The Rockwell numbers were no where near the numbers you are giving.

"Cutting different steels with a saw is not a reasonable way to measure the hardness of the different steels."

Pat you are correct and the reason I use it as an example is most people that don't normally work with SS after they get done cutting on a saw will say WOW is that stuff hard. They do this because that is how they perceive it to be.

BTW Pat just as cutting different steels with a saw isn't reasonable, reading Rockwell numbers out of a book aren't either. Get the brush tested and let us know what the Rockwell on it is will ya.

Bob Lawless

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- Neither you nor I have any intentions of measuring the Rockwell hardness of the steel in my barrel or the steel in a stainless steel brush. I don't know if it is even possible to test the hardness of wire.

You are correct, I like to read books.

Pat Ireland

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm no metallurgist and have never sawn or otherwise tested metals for hardness or density. In fact, I haven't even read about it or stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. But one very prominent rifle barrel manufacturer told me that stainless is harder than carbon steel but I don't know which grade of either steel he was talking about. And here in the recycled metals industry, non-magnetic "300" stainless is more valuable than magnetic "400" stainless and both stainless steels are five to six times more valuable than carbon steel (55 cents per pound for "300" and 50 cents per pound for "400" compared to 8 cents per pound for carbon steel).

I don't know what all that means to the discussion but I thought I'd throw it in.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how do you use a tornado cleaning brush

tornado brush chrome barrel shotgun