1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tornado Brush?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Al 29, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Chock it in a cordless drill or just pull it up and down like a Phosfor Bronze brush?

That thing scares me to use as I think i am going to scratch the barrel.

Thanks

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Do not use it on a tube set! I don't remember where I read it at but it very clearly said not to use them on tube sets. Only use bronze brushes in the chamber. Unfortunately I didn't read this until I had already done this and have had problems with hulls hanging in the 410 tubes ever since. Jackie B.

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Somehow and if I remember correctly the Tornado brush is not intended by design to need to be used in a drill type operation but instead works best when run up and down the bore with a normal old fashioned cleaning rod.

Now the old fashioned bronze and brass bristley types of brushes actually work better in a drill type operation than the old fashioned cleaning rod they were designed for.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Why the power tool? How about some solvent and a regular old bronze bore brush. Really isn't that much work and it is effective. Save the cordless drill for driving deck screws and throw the SS tornado brush away while your at it.

5. kolar12

kolar12 Member

I used them at one time. Not in a power tool. They cleaned great and hauled out a lot of bad stuff. They also cleaned up well and kept their shape. Not like humans do when they get old! I quit using them because shooters claimed they scratched the barrel. Too bad, I really liked them and they lasted a long time.

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

You can also get them in brass, which I would recommend.

Works great!

Hauxfan!

7. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I make a sturdy rod to use in drill. $20.00 and $5.00 shipping. You can have tornado or bronze brush.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    (270) 804-5454

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Not a good idea - tornado brush and drill. Why would you let your gun get that dirty. Solvent takes care of it much better. But then again you are the idiot that uses scotch tape on your glasses. Use you tornado to take the tape off.

Are just posting to see your name in lights??

Don

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Tornado brushes can be bought either of stainless or bronze material. These brushes by design are not made to be used in a cylindicral fashion such as in a drill. They are highly effective at removing plastic buildup inconjunction with solvent. The drill and traditional brush is really effective in a drill.

10. cls

cls Member

Personally I'd never use a drill motor with anything to clean the bore of my shotgun barrel. Seems a bit extreme to me. With that said I believe the bronze tornado brush works great! A couple passes with a bore mop dipped in some "Ed's Red Bore Cleaner", followed up with a couple passes with a bronze tornado brush, then a few clean patches makes for a very clean barrel. cls

11. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Bigdon, I think more people use scotch tape than spend 10 bucks on the same thing called a magic dot so I guess we are all idiots.

Yes, I post only to see my name in lights like you say.

12. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Tornado = spinning???

I used one once, about two years ago on a regualr cleaning rod. It sounded like someone was dragging nails accross the chalkboard so I threw it in the box and not used it since.

When i looked at the thing last night, it looks to me like it was designed to be spun. Its name is tornado so I thought maybe I was to chuck the thing.

Like Bigdon said, I am the idiot that uses scotch tape rather than a magic dot so it looks like a question that would come from me so I can see my name in lights.

So before I did something stupid like I did when I put the scotch tape on my glasses I thought I would ask the professionals.

13. oletymer

oletymer Member

I believe the bronze tornado brushes are only made for rifle and pistol not shotgun.

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

oletymer, actually shotgun ones are made from bronze as I stated earlier. I have several.

15. cls

cls Member

I have a few bronze tornados too. Since oletymer brought up rifles, I know they make them for rifles, but the tornado design doesn't look like it would be well suited for rifling. And some of my friends who compete in the service rifle competitions say they are bad news for rifled bores. cls

16. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Only in Kansas Toto!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

tornado bore brush drill

trapshooter brush