1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Torn rotator cuff tendon surgery

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by noatrophy, Jun 30, 2013.

1. noatrophy

noatrophy Member

MRI showed I have at least two, maybe three, rotator cuff tendon tears in my right shoulder. Also a bicep tendon that the surgeon cannot be sure he can repair. Surgery coming up in a few more weeks. Doc says it will be outpatient.

I've heard there is a very painful recovery awaiting me; I'm 66 years old.

Those who have had this, can you enlighten me about what I can expect after the surgery?

Also, about how long will I be not be able to shoulder a shotgun?

Harry D.
    Schertz, Texas

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I had a similiar situation, bad rotator cuff tear, torn supraspenadus (sp?) tendon, etc. but not the bicep problem. I found it all to be a "piece of cake" with little pain whatsoever. Discomfort, yes, but invasive pain no. Lots of tenderness after the operaton. Discomfort during physical therapy which was important. I had some problems with stiffness, but one cortiscone shot pushed he result over the edge and completed things.

Operation was done on outpatient basis; orthroscopic, of course. Was on table in O.R. by 10 am, going home by around 1:30 pm. Of course you will need somebody else to drive.

Rent one of those "cold" machines if they offer it, post-op; it blows refridgerated air through a cuff worn on the shoulder. Also, be on a lookout for any problems re. err....voiding urine afterward. Sometimes that can be a problem depending upon the type of anesthtic used. Discuss this with your Dr. and have a backup plan at the ready, such as a supply of alpha blockers. (Flomax etc...) Talk that over with your Dr., I'm no Dr., just threw out what I did on a miserable Friday night when uncomfortable, Dr. out of town, and I had to "punt" with a little bit of knowledge.

I had a real mess according to the Dr. with two very big bone spurs. Shoulder so much better now, 18 months post operation. Shooting can usually resume four months after surgery, but be wary for muscle stiffness/finger stiffness and some discomfort that hardly improves trigger control and gun swing.

Good luck...send me a PM if you would like to hear more about my experience.
    And some Dr.'s will give you a CD of your operation as a neat remembrance!

Yes, I'd get the operation again in a minute! I am your age now, but I do know that some individuals find themselves left with a lot of pain immediately post op. I was lucky and didn't even take painkillers. Just relaxed and watched TV etc. for a couple of days.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Everything will depend on how successful the operation is. Physical therapy after the operation is also very important. If you are depending on Medicare to pay for the post op therapy be advised after then spend x amount of dollars they stop paying whether your cured or not. HMB

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

My wife had 2 tears almost comoletely through the tendons and a separated Bicep tendon. The surgeon repaired them all and she recovered in a remarably short time. Yew, the skill of the surgeon makes a great deal of difference. They are not all the same.

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Get 2 opinions before any surgery, make sure your surgeon is well veresed in the proceduer don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you can. I've had 5 surgeries on the same shoulder two replacements the second after the first wore out; bone spurs and cuff tear,they all take time to recover from the key is be dilgent with the thearpy. Not only in the therapist office but at home. Pain depends on your threshold for it and how much work the Dr has to do once in there. I never found it teriible but n facet after the 1st replacement there was less pain than before the surgery. I wish you well and hope that it's a speedy recovery for you. If I can answer any specific questions send me a PM here.

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Where are you having the surgery done?

7. plaw

plaw Active Member

Have had left and right done. plan on sleeping in a recliner for several nites when you get home. lots of ice and use the drugs for the 1st few days and then get off the damn things. phy. therapy is a must. I shot lite loads through a lite auto for awhile after i got back to shootin. lots of luck.

8. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I've had it done once on my right shoulder & twice on my left. Figure 4-8 months on recovery. PT is important but only if the therapist knows what their doing. I had one distroyed because the therapist had no consideration of my pain lever and pushed it to far. I wanted to shoot so bad I bought a telescopic plastic shooting stick, placed it in my left front pants pocket to rest the forearm on, shouldered the gun and after awhile I did pretty good.

9. noatrophy

noatrophy Member

Gentlemen, I really apppreciate your thoughtful responses. I feel like I've gotten more info. from you than anybody else.

birdogs, I'm having the surgery at North Central Baptist Hospital in San Antonio. My surgeon is a member of the San Antonio Orthopedic Group. How long had your wife had the biceps tendon tear before she had it fixed? Mine was torn two years ago. My doc. says it may be too far gone to fix....he'll just have to see when he gets in there.

Chango2, thanks for the heads up regarding problems with urination afterwards. I'll sure look into that. My surgery will be orthoscopic as well; like yours, a torn supraspinatus and infraspinatus as well I believe. No bone spurs unless he finds some once he's in there. Thanks for the tip on the "cold" machine. Never even heard of that.

10. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I hope you have the same luck that I did when I had mine done about 5 years ago. I put up with the problem for almost 10 years before I had mine done. A doctor that specializes in sports medicene looked at the MRI and said it won't heal itself but it probaly won't get any worse so I just put up with it. When I finally had the surgery they found my bicep hanging by a thread, the picture actually looked like a bunch of cotton candy. I also had a split socket on the rotar cuff. The doc put two steel staples to hold the split shut, removed a bone spur, scaped the shoulder bone until it bled and then tied the bicep to the scraped part in four places so that it might have a better chance of bonding with the bone due to the blood flow. He told me after the surgery I would be lucky to have 80% use of that shoulder. I did the home exercises exactly as the instructions on the print outs they sent home with me indicated. The doc had in office, physical therapy started the second day after the surgery, and three times a week for three weeks then down to twice a week. At 6 weeks they checked me over and put me through all the stretches, lifts, moves, etc., and when the doc finished he laughed and said unless you have a problem I don't need to see you again. I took the pain pills for three days after the surgery, and they were worse than the pain. I have 100% use of that shoulder without any limitations.

I have a friend that had his done by a different doctor and they didn't start the physical therapy for 2 weeks and he had hell for about 3 months. I think each case will be somewhat different, and both you and your doctor will impact the final outcome. Best wishes for your surgery.

11. pizza gun

pizza gun Member

shooting in about six months worst part of the whole thing was trying to sleep sitting up with that XXXX sling for four weeks take the drugs do the pt also you will need a softener. Good Luck

12. rbinversie

rbinversie Member

I am recovering now from a surgery on Feb 11, torn rotator and bicep this is the second time for this shoulder. Not as easy the second time around, I can agree with the one post, figure on being in a recliner for the first couple of nights. I've been told this is one of the worst surgerys to go thru, I am still doing the therapy, lots of stiffness but I was shooting light loads in 8 weeks, this is not a cake walk and I think as we get older recovery takes longer, I am going to turn 60 in 6 months. Good luck

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm 66 now and tore my left cuff playing high school baseball in 1965. But I was young, dumb and a fast healer so when the pain subsided a few weeks later, I pretty much forgot about it.

In the spring of 1994, the shoulder started hurting when I mounted my trap gun so I looked into surgery. The doctor gave me a choice of the real deal and a six-month recovery or arthroscopic and a six-week recovery period. I wussed out for the arthroscopic.

Things went well. I was back shooting in six weeks and shooting with no pain at all in two months or so. Then last March, the pain returned big time and I was scheduled for "real" surgery on Friday, April 6th. A week before, I went to the hospital for the mandatory blood work and an EKG. The following Monday, my family doctor called to tell me she saw something on the EKG she didn't like and insisted that I undergo stress tests the next two days.

An hour later that Monday, I reached for a car door handle, heard a loud snap and felt pain like I never felt it in my shoulder. A report on my stress test wasn't available as of Thursday evening, so I had to cancel the operation. But by then, my shoulder no longer hurt and only has hurt at all twice in the ensuing year and three months.

I know my cuff is still torn but no pain is good pain and I'm holding out hope that whatever moved in there stays where it is.

Ed

14. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

My wife's bicep tear was over a year old. The surgeon tells me that they usually don't repair them unless the bicep has not retreated so fsr that re-capturing it would cause more damage than leaving it alone. There are three "horns" to the bicep so leaving one unattached usually does not cause much trouble, if any at all.

Best of luck. Ice the heck out of it. It will reduce the pain and get you back on the road to recovery sooner.

15. beeper

beeper Member

First 72 hous after surgery are tuff. Take plenty of ocxy or Percocet. Start rehabbing asap and often under proper supervision. I had mine at age 63. Good Luck!

beeper

16. noatrophy

noatrophy Member

Thanks again Gents, for all the very useful information. I'm much more confident now about my surgery due to all your input, and I think I should do ok.

Harry D.

Search tags for this page
can i shoot a rifle after bicep tendon release
images of a rotator cuff hanging by a thread
pictuures of a rotator cuff hanging by a thread

shooting shotgun after distal bicep tendon repair

shoulder bicep tendon tear forum thread
torn tendon on trap
torn trap muscle repair surgery
trapshooting after rotator cuff surgery