1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Toprol XL Metoprolol

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ke4yyd, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

After my heart attack last August, the doctor prescribed 25 mg of Toprol XL. Two weeks ago he increased the dose to 50 mg. Since then my reaction time shooting has decreased noticeably. Are there other shooters taking Toprol XL? If so has it affected your shooting?

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I've taken 50 mg for close to 20 yrs. I was skydiving instead of shooting trap back then so I couldn't answer your question on reaction time loss. Apparently my reaction time didn't slow down too much tho, I'm still here. lol

3. Ertz

Ertz Member

After my heart attack in 2008 the Doctor put me on a bunch of things and Metoprolol was one of them. The next six months were pure hell on earth. Mood swings; difficulty thinking; messed up sleep patterns. My shooting? I suck normally but then I REALLY sucked. After I had an almost out of body experience at a labor day shoot where I did some things I could not believe I had to act. I made a spread sheet of medicines and cross referenced them with symptoms and then searched the internet. It was the Metoprolol. Did you know it is soluable to the brain? Anyway I got my Doctor to take me off it (actually weened off) and in a months time all the symptons went away.

Send me a PM if you want more information.

4. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Was on it but a recent change in other medications was incompatible so the doc stopped it. It was prescribed for my rapid heart rate. I complained of a lot of the same side effects. He changed the med to Batapace and so far so good.

Rock

Jim

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Take your dose after shooting. I have been on it for years and felt the same thing..reaction time slowed. So when I have a shoot, I take meds after the shoot. Scores vary,,, yardage still sucks. Fred

6. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I have been on it for 10 years now and without any side affects that I can tell. I am now up to 150 mg per day. 50mg once a day is really not very much Toprol unless you about 100 lbs or less.

7. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Thanks for the replies. I will discuss this further with my doctor.

8. rdf59

rdf59 Member

I'm a 200 pounder and have been on 50 mg for 10+ years. For 6 months it slowed me down but now it is very compatible with my life and shooting. It is a beta blocker and will calm you down for both putting and shooting. I went to one shoot and missed two days worth and shot poorly. I was very nervous. My Doc told me that the med has a calming effect. Started shooting 4 years ago at age 69 and 3 years ago went to reg trap. 86 to 91 to 93 (92+). My reactions seem to be holding up with the med.

My wife went on it and she thought she was climbing a sheer cliff with it. Only on it for 5 weeks and gave it up.

9. Franktri

Franktri Member

I've been on 50mg. Metatoprolol for years and cannot blame my reaction time on that. I blame it on my 70years on this earth. I guess meds affect different people in different ways. I find it good as it kinda relaxes me when tension gets the best of me...

10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

My doctor recommended 50 mg of Metoprolol per day. I took it for about 3 weeks and didn't like how I felt. I lowered my dosage to 25 mg per day and my doctor didn't argue with me. I have taken this dosage for 3 years and have no side effects. If I miss a target, it's not because of the medication. I agree with Franktri. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.