1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Topperwein Memorial Trapshoot (SAGC)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike Hessong* (MH*), Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

I just wanted to thank the San Antonio (Texas) Gun Club and it's manager, P.D. Parker and all of his crew for a fine shoot this past weekend. The 2009 Topperwein Memorial Trapshoot was a well-run event consisting of 200 singles on Saturday and 100 doubles and 100 handicap to finish off the program on Sunday. Around 75 shooters, from as far away as the Rio Grande Valley, to the Denton area and the Dallas metroplex over to Houston, made for a real cross-section of Texas shooters. Included were a few Texas All-American team members as well as a few Texas State Team members, but mother-nature and her winds made for some testy targets on Sunday.

Saturdays singles Champion was Ron Schroer of Georgetown with a 197 and Charlie Long of Houston was Runner-Up with a 196. 25's were even hard to come by for most shooters with the ever-changing winds, but the wind on Saturday wasn't anything compared to the gusty stuff that blew in on Sunday. The doubles Champion was Tab Haley of Rockport with a tough-earned 92 and sorry for my memory loss, but I think that there were a couple of 91's for runner-up. Tab worked hard to get his score and I was lucky enough to be squadded with him all weekend and got to see him shoot this score. I tried to keep up with him, but alas, my 84 just got me into a shoot-off for "C" class champ with Steve Hill and I got lucky enough to win that. My first doubles win of any kind, and if you saw how I typically shoot doubles, you would know why!!

On the final event of the weekend, the winds seemed to get stronger as the day went on. The event was won with a lone 92 and a lone 91 by Mike Kormeier of the Valley was Runner-Up. The targets on the last 2 traps really seemed to move around as shooters progressed down the line. Mike Kormeier told me that he missed the very last bird for his 91, and that one target cost him a shot at a tie for Handicap Champion.

I really was impressed how smooth the shoot went, with P.D. setting up the pre-squadding via the internet presquad.com) so he would know possibly how many people would show up for this growing event. The San Antonio Gun Club is basically in downtown San Antonio Texas and they have some pretty tough time restrictions on their shooting hours, and they try to be good-neighbors to the adjacent housing around the club, but the shoot ran like clock-work. If any of y'all get a chance to make and event at the SAGC, it would be well worth your time.

Thanks again for a really nice shoot,

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Victoria, Texas

2. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

3. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I have had several great shoots @ SAGC!

Great place! Great Club!

Ronbo

4. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

Ron Schroer was the Toepperwein HAA Champ but a Sr. Vet scatred him with target less. It was a great shoot and well organized with good help

5. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

DB Bill,

The skeet houses are definetly really distinct. I think that is one of the main things I like about the club; the history of it, and the "look and feel" of it when you go there to shoot. It's really a shame that the local neighbors have been able to dictate some of the restrictions on shooting hours for something that was there WAY before most of the people that have concerns with the club. At least they were able to re-negotiate a long-term arrangement with the city to stay a viable club far into the future. I don't really know all of the particulars to the agreement, but I hope to continue to shoot there for quite a while.

They recently completed a really nice covered pavillion and bunker trap field on the far south end of the club. One of the nicest bunker ranges I have seen. I didn't get a chance to shoot a round during the Topperwein, but I will make sure I get a round or two in next time I go up there.

Mike* (MH*)

6. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

Mike, I was on the Board when the new contract with the city was drawn up and we still have about 20 years left with a 25 year option. The neighbors seem to forget that the club was there 11 years before the 1st house was built across the street. It is the same thing with airports , they are built way out in the country and then the people start building houses and want the airport shut down. Thanks for coming.
    Bob Roberts

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Neat place to shoot. Met a lot of nice folks there when I was working one summer in Seguin.

8. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

ljutic231 (Bob),

I know exactly what y'all are up against. This is what basically shutdown the "old" Victoria Gun Club. Landlord problems and encroachment by neighbors; even though the club had been there over 50 years, there's not much we could do when our old landlord started moving trailer houses into our "Safety Outfall" zone so he could make more money on his land that the gun club was paying.

We are now on Victoria County/Regional Aiport property down at the end of 2 1/2 miles of gravel road, but the possibility of encroachment now is almost a non-issue. But I don't want to ever think that something could also happen and that could change. We are 4 years into our 25 year lease with an option for another 25 years after that. We lease our land and everything we have built would become the airport's if all came to the worst, but the airport doesn't want to run a gun club and we are good neighbors for them, so it's a win-win situation.

Definetly had a good time at the shoot last weekend.

Mike* (MH*)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

sagc san antonio toepperwein