1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TopLine Porting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Recently I made a deal on a Krieghoff KS-5 Special. I was told that the gun was not ported. Now I get a verification that the gun has been shipped; but the dealer noticed when packing the gun; that it has been ported. He said it was ported by TopLine. (Why he didn't call me with this information prior to shipping is beyond me). I am kind of frustrated as I traded him a gun to obtain this one. I am not a fan of ported barrels. However, I have spent $50 to ship my gun to him and now if I don't accept the Krieghoff it will cost me another $50 to ship it back. Then of course he will have to ship back my gun. To make matters worse the Krieghoff has had a release trigger installed per my request. (Although I didn't have to pay for this conversion). I guess my question is if the gun is in good shape when I inspect it; should I overlook the porting? (I never heard of TopLine porting). He seems like a decent guy; but this deal is not to my liking due to the porting. Thanks.

2. gasman03

gasman03 Member

Being a fan of porting and not going through with the deal would be your choice. I can tell you the Topline porting did no harm to the gun and he did a great job. I have had several done from him. Just my opinion.

Corey

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Thats the best money you will spend, when you send it back to him ... I do not like porting or Choke Tubes and try not to buy any guns that have either ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Since the gun was presented improperly and you weren't notified prior to shipment. The burden is on the dealer for ALL shipping charges involved, this includes both guns.

I'm not a fan of porting what so ever. In my book it greatly deminishes the value of said firearm. You can decide for yourself if the porting is a deal breaker or not.

ss

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you haven't, you need to have a conversation with the seller.

In this type of purchyase, where the gun is of significant value a 3 day inspection is not unusual. Of course, you buy the freight.

HM

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I emailed him yesterday. I said I was not really satisfied that I was told the gun did not have porting and then "after" it was shipped he emailed me and said it had been ported. I emailed him back and offered to consider going through with the purchase if the gun was in great shape. I also asked for a reduction in the price because of the ports. ( $150 ) I haven't heard anything from him yet.

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Exo. I'll send you a PM overnite. Wait for that before making a decision. I need to be at a keyboafd.

8. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I have sent you an email with a picture of what the porting looks like. Good luck with your choice.

Corey

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I don't think porting is a deal breaker, I have ported guns with ProPort, Seitz and Top Line and unported guns as well, none out weigh the other.

If you were looking at a Mercedes with chrome wheels and you don't like chrome wheels, do these devalue the car, no not really. The question becomes, can you overlook these wheels knowing everything else, price, value, performance meets or exceeds your requirements, if not don't buy the gun.

Just because someone else likes or dislikes something they should have (no sway over your choice) To many, porting is an value added feature and will pay more, to others, it's a deal breaker, its called life...............

Surfer

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

porting is like a left handed stock. Nothing wrong with it, but, it limits your resale opportunities..

11. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I would not honor the sale and would insist on freight being paid.

The item is not as it was represented. That materially changes the scope of the contract.

It was foolish for the dealer to ship prior to notifying you of what amounts to an egregious misrepresentation.

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Offer to pay the shipping back of the K-gun and hope he doesn't remember the trigger swap or shoot it.

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Big man Perazzi... interesting analogy. my experience surpprised me. a good LH gun/stock has equal demand. In fact mostly it is pent up

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

just BigM, MIA, just BigM lol

I mean you limit yourself to 17% or so...

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I like my Top Line porting but I'm a stickler about honesty in a sale. Send it back, exactly like you got it and get all of your money back, including the return freight cost. You'd better be able to prove that you got screwed.

16. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Every one has a opinon on porting and choke tubes the no porting and fixed choke crowd and the others that like them or don;t care either way. I don't care have all kinds I will say Top line is EDM porting and one of the best never clog up. The old small hole porting is a pain to clean and clogs fast. good fixed choke is what I prefer but have some tubed barrels that I would never part with either the real make or break for me depends on how well you shoot the gun.

17. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Personally, I like porting but what I like should have no bearing on your decision. The dealer was wrong to do what he did and should cover expenses for you if you decide to send it back. It's what YOU want that matters. Porting, chokes, release triggers, all a matter of choice and fortunately we all have that freedom.

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Considering how much I think I know about guns, I understand that many folks are not as compulsive as I am about them.

I have a nice compound bow, with great hunting arrows, and a good selection of arrows set up for practice.

However, if my life depended on it, I could NOT tell you even the brand of the bow or the arrows without looking, even though I am within 10 feet of the cased bow set.

The fellow with the gun MAY have made a glitch. I would give him a chance to show his character.

Character can be described as how one handles a screw up. I screw up all the time, and am quite a character, just ask my friends. LOL

BTW, my Bunker gun is a European Browning Sporter that is not ported. It has been difficult for me to refrain from having it ported, as I prefer porting. The gun may be sold in the future, so I am reluctantly keeping it stock.

YMMV

19. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Porting will lower the resale value of the gun. If you paid top dollar you have been screwed.

20. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

If you don't like porting you probably should do as others suggested - send it back and put on a 'full court press' to have the dealer pay the freight. The gun is not as represented - he should have told you this. That said, if you keep it, you will never be happy with a bad transaction or the gun. Chalk it up to the types of experiences many have had buying sight unseen guns on the internet.l Been there; done that. Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

topline porting