1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Top value holding trap guns on the market?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by subaru, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subaru

subaru TS Member

There was a thread earlier about how bad the resale on SKB and Ljutic trap guns is. So that brings up the question. What do you all think the top 5 brands would be for someone who is looking to buy but does not want to take a huge hit on value? And lets keep this to the main stream brands. I know Holland & Holland holds value very well but I have never seen one on a trap line.

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

BT99-870-1100-302thru391 series-Tm1

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I think pheasantmaster is pretty close. Rem 31 and Win Mod 12 could be in there somewhere

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

The better question may be of the trapguns costing in excess of $3000, which hold their value the best. When you look at what a new 1100 and a new 870 cost and what you can be a used one for, their % drop in value isn't all that different than the high ticket guns.

5. MilCon

MilCon Member

You stated that SKB and Ljutic trap guns do not hold up in value when sold used based upon the new prices.

Look at it in a different way. If you buy used then they hold up the best since they are worth what you payed used for them.

Say you get a Ljutic for ~2500. and later decide to get rid of it , it is still worth ~ 2500 or so .
    A new P or K gun is ~10000- 18000 and will sell used for 75000-13000.

I would much rather take a 100 or 200 loss on a gun than a 3500- 5000 loss.

6. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I'm with MilCon. You buy a brand new higher end gun and then decide you are going to sell after a year or two, you will take a real beating - the brand name doesn't matter. You don't have to believe me, just check a few used prices yourself.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Winchester Model 12's not only hold their value, they increase in value over the years if unmolested ... Perazzi TM-1 has been on the rise price wise if you can find a really nice one that is unmolested ... I have found that if you are selling a gun its never worth what you think it is until the deal is done, then it worth even more ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

The used target shotgun market is very "thin", especially for limited production guns. The time of year also is a factor...NOW is an excellent time to buy. The trend of the $US vs foreign currencies (esp.the Euro) is also an important factor. If your intention is to buy new, I'd look at the less expensive models from quality manufacturers, like the KX-5 and the Kolar TS. And Brownings are excelent values for the $$$...even new, as are the less embellished Guerinis. The comment on buying a used Ljutic is a good one, since they last forever and seem to stay around the $2500 to $3500 price range...except the stainless models do seem to command somewhat stronger prices.

WNCRob

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

MilCon, you can't compare the dollars lost of buying a "used" ljutic against a new Perrazi or Kgun. Its used against used or new against new. The thing with a P or K gun is that you can actually resale them. A Ljutic (yes I have owned them) is a tough item to resale!

10. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I have never understood why trapshooters would buy a new gun. There are always plenty of very good used ones on the market and if bought correctly, they DO hold their value.

11. MilCon

MilCon Member

Phesantmaster- Point well taken.

What I was trying to get across to the original question was ( A well kept used gun can be a good investment if a person is just getting into the sport and wants a "tricked out or specific type of gun"

On that note I would love to get a new K80 combo trap with ultra high rib but as life stands 18K is to much. I think there was one on here for sale for ~12K but alas that is also to steep.

On another note - Anyone know of a old break top Ljutic Space gun for sale- Always wanted to try shooting that one.

Looks like I will have to stay with my old IAB 3 barrel set with adj ramps, it still smokes those targets.

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

13. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

why are ljutics so hard to sell? they have to be one of the best guns ever made.thanks dwain

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

MilCon That Break top LJutic is not a space gun but a Salka (sp)

15. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Another consideration is area, the east coast is a better market for K guns. I have a TMX I bought new for $1695. with a receipt from C.C. Seitz(Tom)for barrel tuning. I beleive this gun to be worth over $4000. Ljutics I have owned in the mid west sell but take more time than similar guns. I have been told some of the specialty guns (Cole for example) can not be given away. Try and sell a DiSimone, a fine gun but just try.

16. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I've always liked the value of a good used 682X. These can be had in all sorts of configurations and it seems like they sell for what I paid for them 3 or 4 years later. Shoot, I think I even made a little on a 682X unsingle combo that I sold a few years back.

I also like the value of a good 90T. They come back into vogue every couple of years and everyone has to have one. I may buy another HPAR one of these days.

ec90t

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Long tern ownership is the key to getting your money's worth. I bought by Ljutic used in ;83 for $2100....and I've spent about $1000 restocking it (twice) and getting it reblued....and I ain't lookin' to sell it anytime soon...

18. shadow

shadow Active Member

The last 90T I had cost me $1500. I kept it for about 5 years and shot the snot out of it before it was sold for $2500. Not too shabby a deal.

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The Perazzi TM-1 sold new for $395.00 with some even less in the very early 70s, take a gander what good used one's go for today? I agree with WPT. Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

value holding guns