1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Top Trapshooter with Semi-Autos?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I started this game with an 870TB. I then went to O/U for the ability to shoot doubles. I have yet to shoot doubles. From my limited experience of about 8 months that a trap semi-auto might be the one best choice for trap. You can shoot one shell for singles and handicap, and two for doubles if you want to.

I haven't shot the expensive trap singles. I would think that a semi could be weighted to feel like those guns, with all due respect.

Are there any top shooters who use Remington or Browning semis for trap, and have always done so? If this topic has been sounded debated before, I apologize. I searched on 1100 and didn't exactly find it, but there were a lot of threads.

Danny

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

The only one I know of currently is Daro Handy. I believe Leo Harrison was shooting one when he first made the All America list.

Buz

3. 1Trapshooter1

1Trapshooter1 TS Member

Ken Darroch from PA

4. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

There would probably be more but when it comes to getting a sponsored Rem 1100 for a few thousand and a K or P gun for 10K+...well, which would you choose? hehe

5. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

"Top Trapshooter with Semi-Autos?"

Me!!

Well, top of the bush league, anyway ;)

6. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I asked Leo Harrison about this last year and his exact quote was - "If somebody hadn't stole my 1100 I'd still be shooting it."

hubcap

7. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

I have an 870 and 1100 and they are great trap guns. I am just not a great trap shooter. I dream of one day winning a shoot in the D class with one of them, but that's a dream right now that is very far from reality. (72 at the last shoot).

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Ken shoots a Model 12 for Singles and Handicap-a Krieghoff Model 32 for Doubles!!

9. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I'd probably miss my Citori Plus with 32" barrels if I ever got rid of it. It just seems, when I have time to reflect, that shooting the gas guns for singles and then for doubles would be ideal. I can do that with my Citori, also, without having to pick up shells.

My 1187 SC is such a soft shooting gun. I am working on an MC stock for it.

Revsublime has a point. But would the average shooter get multiples of pride of ownership with a $7,500 gun vs., say, 3 B or C grade 1100/1187/870's?

Danny

10. jtf650

jtf650 Member

hubcap: Sounds like you might know Mr. Harrison. I always wondered why he didn't just replace the 1100 that he shot so well. Do you know if it was so tricked out that it would have been difficult to duplicate? I always figured 1100s were the easiest and cheapest way to have an identical backup gun. Or maybe Beretta just made him an offer he couldn't refuse. James Fawcett

11. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

James - I asked Leo about it while taking his shooting clinic prior to the Missouri Fall Handicap last year. From what I gathered it was just an ordinary 1100 and I believe he had a duplicate which was also stolen at the same time.

hubcap

12. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

The only one I know of currently is Daro Handy. I believe Leo Harrison was shooting one when he first made the All America list.
    Buz

Buz, You say currently. I know Daro shot an 1100 for ever. Interesting set up with a very high rib and a release trigger with a very high set. But, I was told that a couple of years ago he went to a Perazzi. I am not that close to the competative game now. So, is Daro back to the 1100? Regards, Jake

PS. That man can flat out shoot.

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I read where Leo was asked if he'd done any mods to his 1100 like all the other All-Americans had, he said "I added this American flag patch on my stock"!! I think that was how he quoted in Shootin Trap mag.? Hap

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Mike Jordan, when he shoots one.

15. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

Ok Guys, I know for a fact that Daro Handy shoots a Perazzi these days. I was in a shootoff against him a couple of weeks ago. But Randy, the one he was shooting that day, he had a single barrel, not an O/U. But my Beretta 391 made it to R/U...lol Be safe David

16. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

Ok Guys, I know for a fact that Daro Handy shoots a Perazzi these days. I was in a shootoff against him a couple of weeks ago. But Randy, the one he was shooting that day, he had a single barrel, not an O/U. But my Beretta 391 made it to R/U...lol Be safe David

17. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

How many targets did Handy call for vs how many he shot at? Hear tell that voice pullers were invented just for him.

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Leo also said he was getting tired of trying to keep the gun running through a full doubles event without malfunctions.

19. 1Trapshooter1

1Trapshooter1 TS Member

hmm darroch was shooting a semi in the singles championship at the great lakes grand

20. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Leo never had any mods done to those 1100's other than a few stickers and mole skin on his handicap gun.

The reason for the change to a break gun as I recall, other than dependability and eaze of cleaning (if he ever bothered) was so he could save the AA empties at the time. It really bothered Leo to leave 100 fresh empties on the ground.LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.