1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Top single vs unsingle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ljutic Guy, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ljutic Guy

Ljutic Guy Member

In the last few weeks I have been told by several shooters they are changing back to top single guns. They are not happy with their scores and the way the unsingle feels and mounts. Anyone else having the same experiance?

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Aside from a little less recoil, an unsingle is only of value to a two eyed shooter who can look under the barrel to help see the target. If you are a one eyed shooter & have to hold on the house an unsingle isn't worth the extra cost. This is just my opinion.

Phil Berkowitz

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Isn't it easier to track or aim with a top single as opposed to a un-single, because the rib on the un-single does not follow the line of shot as much as with most top singles? If this is true, then un-single shooters would depend on a more instinctive shooting style, where as top single shooters can track and aim for a longer distance?

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I liked the unsingle (MX-2000) but prefer the top single for my style of shooting ... I just did not seem to get the right sight picture and lacked confidence in the unsingle, recoil was not an issue thanks to PFS ... The TM-1 I shoot now has a Gra-coil on it and I have no recoil issues with it either ... I might go back and start shooting my Model 12 and have the best of both worlds again ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. robusto

robusto TS Member

I switched back. I sold my Perazzi combo to pay down some student loans because I just didn't shoot it very well anyway. I'm back to my bt99 and my scores are back too. Nothing wrong with the combo, it was something I always wanted but I just didn't shoot it very well. Probably guilt for spending my bonus check on it insted of paying down debt.

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I am starting to think that after 23 years of shooting a high rib TMX that maybe the high rib is causing me problems. It definitely feels like the rib is in the wrong place it is not intuitive like the conventional rib MX3 that I have. I shot a little bit with an MX14 unsingle and it was just like shooting the bottom barrel of an O/U it did not cause any sighting problems.

7. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I shot a top singles for many years and started with MX 10 RS last year. I have shot the unsingle better than the top single. I believe most of my improvement came for m holding the gun still when I call. I also believe that you must move the unsingle with the body and shoulders rather than the hands.

Charlie

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

I can shoot them both equally poorly.

9. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have shot bot top single and unsingle. I like the unsingle better. The unsingle feels better and less heat waves coming up pass the rib for a better sight of the target.
    The unsingle seams to have less recoil also.
    I shoot a high rib Caesar Guerini and never shot as good as I do with my unsingle CG. Nice handling gun and it looks good to.

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

It's just like 7-1/2's v. 8's.

Maybe we should look at it in a simple manner:

If the unsingle barrel is better, why are all hunting/sporting barrels on top?

Just a thought and question.

Curt

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

If an unsingle is better, there would be no market for Bowen ,Alfermann, Seitz, Infinity,& Ljutic.

Phil Berkowitz

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have a complete differemt comparasion, I can shoot both equally well if I have my sight picture and POI is the same, I absolutely cannot see a difference, But feeling is different, biut shot producing results are the same for me, if the gun fits, my sight picture, and POI.

Some guns are heavier than others, such as compare a Seitz to a BT-99, A Ljutic to a BT-99, there are advantages to a heavier gun.

There is a lot more comes into play here other than top single Vs Bottom or Un-single, definite advange of un-single is lower felt recoil.

Then there is the un-single barrell is lower, it will shoot lower in some shooters mind.

It all boils down to what that individual shooter has his thoughts and beliefs on.

That is one reason why so many different styles of guns and rib designs are out their today, I shooters want them the factories will build them, If shooters change their mind then their prices will come down due to lack of sales.

Remember " Build a better mouse catcher and it will sell ".

To me that means, " SEITZ-LJUTIC-KREIGHOFF-INFINITY-CAESAR GUERINI-COLE-KOLAR-ALFERMAN " compared to the OLD WINCHESTER MODEL 12 & REMINGTON TB.

I will bet if Winchester came out with the Model 12 w/32 inch Bbl with a factory recoil system they would sell, similar to the PFS with all the bells and whistles adjustability, and the same for Remington 870.

I kinda like the Model 12 32 inch Bbl w/a PFS.

Just my humble opinion.

I'm off to the Ohio State Shoot, see you there.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.