1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Top single vs Unsingle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by oilburner, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oilburner

oilburner TS Member

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a Top single versus a an Unsingle? Caesar Guerini's introduction of a top single to complement it's unsingle has me wondering which might be better for me. Thanks.

2. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Oilburner - There is really no difference in which might be best. It is simply a matter of personal preference. Personally I like the unsingle, having
    shot a Perazzi MX 15 for the past 12 years. I both a Perazzi TM1 and MX 8 top singles which I shot for years. Liked the TMI best, until I tried the MX 15.
    At any rate you must try both to determine your preferences.

The ability to raise (or lower) point of impact is desireable in the adjustable
    rib versions, but again that may a personal preferenct (I have not changed settings in years, once I determined what worked for me). A lot of great shooters shoot solid rib barrels. Talk to people at your club and see if you
    can try various models. Only you can determine what is best. - Jim

3. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

I've shot both. Seems like there is less felt recoil with the un-single.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The typical mantra from pundits Trap will say that the unsingle produces a little less felt recoil due to being more of a straight back recoil, that the unsingle will permit more venting of heat waves over the sighting plane, and that the unsingle pemits a better (sooner) view of the bird leaving the house. Others complain the unsingle leads to a confusing view of beads and the bead/bird relationship. I've shot both un and top-singles, and currently shoot the mid-single of the KS gun, and find no obvious difference in any of them in any of the allegations. When confused or in a pinch, just look at the bird, point at it, and pull the trigger.....breakemall...Bob Dodd

5. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Unsingles look cool, but can be tricky to learn to shoot - especially if you have a tendancy to cant the gun. Less felt recoil?? I guess - I could never tell the difference. As Bob, I like the mid single style, though folks say my TMX is really a top single. OK.

If you're looking for a great single barrel trap gun, there is a KS-5 special on this site right now.

Joe

6. jbshep

jbshep Member

Very little difference; mostly a marketing gimmick, in my opinion. I shoot a TMX and a Silver Seitz, both top singles. Have had (and sold) a K-80 trap special and other radical unsingles. Adjustable comb is much more important. Set it up right and forget about the rib; you NEVER look at the rib anyway! - Brad

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I have a very definite preference for an unsingle or a mid-single (which is really a top single with a high rib). The added rib height definitely minimizes heat risers, and does allow me to "see" around the barrel to pick birds up sooner. I shoot an MX2000RS 35/34 combo. That is a medium height rib setup, and I most definitely see better when using the unsingle.

8. Steven

Steven TS Member

If you want to look cool on the line, get an U/S, If you want to shoot better get a T/S. Unless you are a top AA shooter, I would get a Mid or T/S. I believe U/S are harder to shoot due to cant error. Remember it's more impressive to hit all the targets than to miss some with a COOL looking gun. (Just my opinion)

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

When mounted, I can't tell the difference. Canting problems don't make a los of sense to me. If you have an O/U with both barrels shooting the same POI and you then cant the gun, the bottom barrel might be rotated around an inch more than the top barrel. But, if the barrels are parallel, that could only create an inch difference in the POI.

Recoil difference. I have trouble understanding that also. The small difference in the force vectors from a top and bottom barrel couldn't do much.

The K-80 system of changing the POI will only work on an unsingle barrel. This system uses a very strong rib to bend the barrel up and down.

Pat Ireland

10. oilburner

oilburner TS Member

zzt,
    what do you mean "look around the barrel"?
    i don't look at, or see the beads or the barrel after i call for the bird.
    my eyes are on the bird.
    thanks

11. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I have both and once I learned to shoot mt SKB unsingle I prefer it to my new SKB topsingle I just bought.The main reason is as ZZT stated, but in my words: I much prefer NOT to look at my big barrel as opposed to my little rib. This "looking" is only on setup....not after the bird is called for.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

oilburner- It is clear to me that zzt holds a high gun. His eyes are focused where the target will appear above the gun but he is also aware of the target as it leaves the house. Two eyed shooters can do this and it is a typical shooting style. I do hope he does not move his gun too often before the bird gets above the gun. I suspect that he knows about this mistake.

Pat Ireland

13. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I have them both. I can feel the balance and the recoil changes going from one to the other. I've never seen heat waves with either of them. In my opinoin the Top Single is a faster pointing barrel. Dave T.

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

What would be the difference between using the bottom barrel of an o/u vs an unsingle.

Phil Berkowitz

15. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

635G, the difference is that you can see the top barrel, because it is there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is meant by a guerini unsingle