1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Top single vs Unsingle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Lyndon Shumaker, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyndon Shumaker

Lyndon Shumaker Member

Hey Guys: I am seriously considering a high rib combo set, probably a Kolar Max T/A. I have shot the top single and found it to have very little felt recoil. I have NOT however, shot the unsingle version of that gun. Do unsingles really have less felt recoil? or is just personal preference.

Also, I'm a two eyed shooter and with a tall rib unsingle do you see all that rib out in front of you???? Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks
    LS

2. Ricky B

Ricky B TS Member

Other things being equal (same load, same gun, same shooter, etc.), a shot from a lower barrel should result in less felt recoil.

With a high rib (and a gun that fits you and a proper mount), you are looking over the rib toward the target and not seeing what's beneath the rib.

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just a thought, by purchasing a combo you'r puting all your eggs in one basket. Furthermore, an unsingle may be a little more unforgiving if your mount is anything but perfect every time. And finally, If unsingles were that much better---there would be no market for Ljutics, Alfermanns, Bowens Seitzes, and Infinities.----The best recoil reduction system is a a perfect gun fit.

Lou

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Everyone who has shot my Kolar TA Max unsingle loves the gun. I shoot one eye and hold a low gun. One of the guys that shoots two eyes open said it is great, even better than a Krieghoff Trap Special, especially for visibility. I suggest you try one, there are a lot more unsingle barrels produced than top singles. Bill Malcolm

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I did find instantly that my Top single K-80 had more recoil than the unsingle barrel. Also noticed the balance changed to where I thought the topsingle swings better/faster. Dave T.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot both then make up your mind. HMB

7. JohnP

JohnP Member

With regard to a unsingle having less recoil than a topsingle. I have taken a o/u barrel from a combo several times and loaded it and handed it to someone that says for sure that by shooting the bottom barrel it would have less recoil than the top and without exception on one has been able to tell with any consistency which barrel was fired by the recoil. By firing 10 shells or 30 shells, no one so far has been able to tell the difference. By firing the top barrel and bottom barrel and no one can tell the difference how can you say that an unsingle has less recoil. Maybe on paper but no detectable difference in reality.

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

JohnP, I don't doubt it, but still - when I shoot any Perazzi O/U I've used in doubles, it
    is the upper barrel which kicks a lot less. Let's say a 3 dram in the top is about like an ounce in the bottom.

I've owned a couple of unsingle K-80 and over-barrels at the same time and thought they kicked alike - no difference at all, except a backbored to 0.750 which just hammered me.

My conclusion is that, just as you found, no one could tell the difference and I was imagining things, that's all.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
kolar top single shotgun
single vs unsingle

top single vs unsingle

topsingle vs unsingle
trap gun with over single versus unsingle

trap unsingle vs top single

unsingle barrel vs top single

unsingle vs top single