1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Top single vs. unsingle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Grevin, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grevin

Grevin TS Member

It has been said that a top single will produce a better sight picture versus an unsingle or bottom simgle for a left eye dominant right handed one eye shooter. Can anyone explain why that would be the case? Do we not always look at the target over the top of the rib regardless of the height of the rib?

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Yes! It's a mind thing.

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Yes we look over the rib, but I see around the sides much better and can see the target coming out of the house sooner and pick it up much quicker. Also can hold the gun much higher above the house. The unsingle was a big improvement for me.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

In my case, if I keep seeing the rib, I'll miss the bird. If I kept seeing the two beads, I wouldn't know where the bird went.

5. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

L.E. dominant, R.H. shooters often need to block the left eye, and become a one eyed shooter. Once you do that, you cannot "see through" the barrel.

Since it is probably a good thing to get some information as to the direction of target as soon as possible, you will want your "gun hold" near the front edge of the trap house, so you can pick up the targets path quickly.

(If you hold too high, you may block out some angles untill the target is finally visible above the gun... that may not work so well all the time.)

As an opinion to your question... an unsingle does let you "see" a little more if you hold a high gun , but can still block out a few targets if your "one eyed".

The "supposed benefits" of a standard unsingle is that the recoil is deliverd straight back to the shoulder, and not to your face.

A "high rib" guns claim to fame, (unsingle, or combo), is to allow a more heads up look at the target. This can also (somewhat) be accomplished with a lowered recoil pad on a "regular" gun. Hope this helps, and it is just my personal observations.

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper TS Member

speaking of mind things ... a friend of mine is convinced in HIS mind that all shots fired from the bottom barrel shoot 2 inches low. He says he just can't deal with that while on the line. hehe

7. Grevin

Grevin TS Member

Thanks for the responses. In my case, while I am a one-eyed shooter, I call for the target with both eyes open and close the off eye an instant before pulling the trigger. I suppose that an unsingle would not complicate target acquisition for me.

8. BuddyTrapChamp

BuddyTrapChamp Member

try both us what you like its a preference

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
k 80 top single vs unsingle
top single vs unsingle

unsingle vs top single