1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Top single vs unsingle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Franktri, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franktri

Franktri Member

Can anyone tell me the difference between a top single and an unsingle. Does one shoot lower/higher than the other? Is that the only difference?

2. KS user

KS user TS Member

Recoil is a noticeable difference.

3. LTB45

LTB45 Member

Not to me

4. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Many shooters have difficulty shooting the unsingle. If you are conditioned to referencing the barrel to target, all changes when going to the unsingle. Many can not make the change and can not shoot scores as high as they could with the top single. Borrow a friends gun and give it a try. Marc

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Better visability of the target with an unsingle and less muzzle jump and perceived recoil with the unsingle

Some people cant make the transistion to an unsingle if they have been shooting off the barrel for years

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. twostraight

twostraight Member

One does not necessarily shoot higher or lower poi than the other

7. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

The taller the rib the better. They just look bad ass to me.

8. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

An unsingle is easier to have issues with canting the gun,maybe that's why some people don't have much luck with them.Jerry PS I'm one of those people ;o)

9. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

"Many shooters have difficulty shooting the unsingle."

Question from someone who has only shot a O/U. So far I've only shot the bottom barrel of my O/U. If I was switch to a unsingle what would be different? To me a unsingle looks like a O/U with the top barrel missing which I don't use anyways.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've owned and shot both styles; even more with a KS-5 Special that's considered a mid-single. I shot them all well, never noticed much difference in recoil, and never found one better than the other. I DID like the target visibility with the UN and MID guns......breakemall

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

How come nobody ever worries about canting their gun when they shoot the bottom barrel of an over/under? Its exactly the same thing.

Unless you cant your gun about 45° (gangsta trap shooter?), using an unsingle is no different than using a top single. And its EXACTLY the same as using the bottom barrel of an over/under.

If you set up both a top single gun and an unsingle gun to shoot "X" inches high at "XX" yards, the difference in shot trajectory at target distances will be so small you can't tell the difference. Measured in fractions of an inch.

Some folks claim that the lower placement of the barrel makes perceived recoil seem lighter. Frankly, I can't tell a bit of difference in recoil between shooting the top barrel or the bottom barrel of my over/under, and thats essentially the exact same difference between a top single and an unsingle. But that's just me. Some say they can feel it. Maybe they can.

Anthony L. You get the gold star. You have correctly concluded what some never "get." Some people think there is some mystery to unsingles. There isn't.

The only difference is what you see. Barrel or no barrel. And you should be looking at the target anyway, so it shouldn't make any difference at all.

So to me, its down to personal preference. Period.

I think they look cool. That, and its the only single barrel I could find for my gun. That's why I have one.

12. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I am one of the slow learners that just couldn't make the transition from a top single to an unsingle. I bought a CG unsingle combo, shot it exclusively for a full 6 months and experienced cross firing problems. I had to work my a$$ off not to see down the left side of the barrel and rib. Even then, I would occasionally switch to my non dominant left eye (of course that means a miss). Went back to a top single, a KX-5, problem gone and scores back up to where they should be almost instantly. For SOME people with a tendency to cross fire, unsingles/high ribs can aggravate the problem.

Mark

p.s. Who wants a beautiful CG Impact Unsingle Combo? Going to sell it.

13. JayLC

JayLC TS Member

I bought a CG unsingle combo and found that I shot the O/U barrel noticeably better than the unsingle barrel. After about a year I traded the unsingle combo for a top single combo. I am quite pleased with the top single and shoot it much better than the unsingle.

14. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I have both sets for my Kolar Max TA Comp, and being a one eyed shooter, holding a low gun, think it seems easier to get the barrel "square" with the unsingle barrel, . Also, in warmer weather the mirage from the the unsingle is much less than the top single. I thought it made sense to use the top single for Caps, with a higher POI, but the weight and swing differences along with the mirage just didn't work for me, and I put it back in the case, and just shoot a different load for caps. I have the weight set for the TS BTW.

best....mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
trap single vs trap unsingle what is the difference

k 80 top single vs unsingle

top single or unsingle

top single vs unsingle

top single vs unsingle trap gun
unsingle or top single
unsingle shotguns vs top single guns

unsingle vs top single