1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Top Single or Unsingle / What do you prefer and Y?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Newfoundlander, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

I ordered a new CG Maguns Trap combo with Top single...

When it came , they mixed things up and shipped an unsingle...

Anyone has pro's and con's of either top or under single..

Much appreciated any input as I have to consider if I am going to keep the u/s or send back for the top..

Robert ( Newfoundlander )

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Robert: I always felt that I could not shoot an unsingle. I felt the top single was the only way to go. Well last year a fellow shooter wanted to sell a 32" Beretta unsingle barrel. Now I knew I wouldn't like that as I always felt I could not shoot anything but a 34" top single. Well he was gracious enough to allow me to shoot this barrel for a couple of hundred rounds. I installed it on my 682 and was really surprised. I shot very good scores with it and bought it. If it weren't for him allowing me to use this barrel, I would have never considered it. I just feel that the unsingle allows me to pick up the target quicker than the top single. Maybe it's just me, but that's how I feel. If it were me I'd give that unsingle a chance. Good Luck. Ed

3. 3357

3357 Member

If you cant the gun you may struggle with the unsingle. I have owned them both and shot them both equally well. I now shoot a mid-single (KX-5) and believe it is a great blend of the attributes of both.

If you can, try the unsingle barrel, you may be surprised.

4. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

I've owned all 3 (top, mid, and unsingle) and all in 34".

I shot the top single fine, but I just couldn't shoot the unsingle. I shot it for 6 months and my scores were all over the place. Maybe I was canting it, I don't know. However, I do know guys with the very same gun in unsingle, and they're crushing the birds. It's like any other gun - it'll work for you or it won't.

I went back to my KS-5 (mid-single) and my scores immediately jumped back up to where they were when I put it in the safe.

I have since sold the unsingle bbl, and shoot the mid-single better than ever.

LMS

5. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I shoot a dt-10 undersingle but shoot my tm-1 with about the same average so I guess I like the undersingle better because I look better shootin it :eek:) Jerry

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

On my K-80 the unsingle barrel shoots much better than any other single barrel I have for the gun. One possible reason for this is that I have only one single barrel for the combo.

Pat Ireland

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've owned and shot both plus the KS-5 "mid-single" enough to have an opinion. My take is that I rarely could find a difference to like one over the other. The lower barrels do have less heat waves on those hot days and I always felt the lower barrels seemed to recoil more straight back than with muzzle jumping. I'll wager you'll like it just fine as long as you don't have all sorts of preconceived worries and thoughts to confuse you while getting started. Today I could pick up any of the 3 choices and not give it a moments thought.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

8. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

Here is where my problem starts...

I now own a citori-plus which shoot a different POI through both barrels..

It shoot higher with the bottom barrel than the top and I could never get used to it...

I have been using the top barrel for singles and caps since I bought it in 94 because of the higher shooting bottom barrel...

I guess I am judging all guns by my current stick , and maybe I should try the unsingle..

I spoke to the dealer/rep yesterday and he notified me that if I shoot the barrel I can not return it...

How can you test things without being able to shoot it, something like explaining how to handle a car in a snowstorm but you can't drive the car...

My real querry is should I judge the POI from this type gun based on what I now shoot...

Warm heat waves is not a factor here in NFL'D as it rarely reaches 70-75F at the best of times...

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

PM sent

10. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I shoot a K-80 and had both the Top-single and the Unsingle to try. I immediately found the Top-single had more kick to it. The unsingle, initially, I was canting a little but that was the stock needing adjustment. Now it's fine. I also had a Citori Plus prior to this K-80. I mimiced that POI with this K-80. Your CG is lighter than a K-80, I think, so I would be concerned with more kick with the top-single. A few guys that I shoot with sold their CG's because of the kick, at they were shooting the Un-single. Dave T.

11. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

Hi Brian , thanks for the reply,

You are right when you say that there are not many types of guns here in Newfoundland for a person to try..

Combo sets and unsingles are rare here as I only know of one other combo set and I have never shot an unsingle since I started shooting trap in 1972..

Also as a point of interest in this case , are the serial numbers on the receiver and both barrel arrangements in a combo set suppose to match..

If they do , then someone has switched the top single in this set for an unsingle because the #'s on the O/U are the same as stamped on the receiver but the #'s on the Unsingle are totally different..

I doesn't know if they should match but one would think so..

12. 47bt99

47bt99 TS Member

On a combo gun the serial numbers should be the same on all parts of the gun. This would include both sets of barrels, receiver, stock and forearm. If all the serial numbers do not match the resale value will suffer. I would suggest returning the gun.

Bob

13. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Get them to make you a scream'n deal on the top single with the proper serial number. That would be a nice set. If they won't then send it back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.