1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Top Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sliverbulletexpress, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Anyone else watch the final Top Shot? It was the best I think. I think it was great that Dustin won it, he was the best and deserved it. Not only that but he seems like a good kid, devotes his time to a Christian Church Camp, has children of his own and takes in orphans. No doubt he will put the money to good use.

Even though I wished it wasn't a "survivor" style show at least the good guys win so far unlike those other shows where the most obnoxious win.

I still can't get over Jake the former Seal acting like he did and quitting rather than facing someone one on one for elimination. That can't make the Seal community very proud of him. I did a google search on him and found out that is not out of character for him unfortunately.

You guys not watching missed a good show with some really tough challenges. I hope next season is as good as this one, there's not much worth watching on tv anymore.

2. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

I wonder how much editing they do to get things to work out the way they want. Notice how you almost never see the targets breaking from behind the shooter? The camera shots of the shooters are usually profile or face-on and the target breaks are from between the shooter and the target.

And the contrived personal drama and conflict? Next season look for The Real Top Shots of The Jersey Shore build The Colony on Survivor island with the Sister Wives!

Sort of a mindless waste of electricity if you ask me.

Mike K

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I liked it. Jake was as total asshole with real mental problems. Personally I think he was more of a disgrace for SEALs than anything else by his behavior.

I too am glad that Dustin won. He was the best all around shooter and performed well in all the challenges while all the other guys had serious moments of weakness.

May not be the best show on tv, but I enjoyed it.

4. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Darn good show. I was rooting for Dustin and was glad he won but was surprised at Mike's preformance during the final.

There will be plenty for re-runs so if you missed it don't miss it again.

Charlie

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

What's not to like about "Top Shot"? This show, along with "Son's of Guns", "Gunsmoke Arms" , Swamp People", Hogs Gone Wild" etc. do a lot for the shooting community as a whole, that hasn't been done on main stream television for as long as I can remember. They are showing these people using guns as they were meant to be used, having fun, bringing back some of the lost interest in firearms we so desperately need. These shows, somehow, make me think they are our modern day version of the Old West shows we watched when we were kids. Watch "Gold Rush" and, bingo, you are right there with them, sharing their ride. I don't know about you guys, but, I enjoy them all. In any event, a tip of my hat and a healthy "thank you" to the stations that air these types of shows...... I'm in........ Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Next year's final event will be throwing olives into a Martini glass at 20 feet. It is especially difficult since the shape of the glass makes most olives slide out the other side even if they are thrown "on target" into the glass. This comes in handy at Embassy cocktail parties when the Seals are vying with the foreign secret police for a tactical advantege. Give me a break!

But seriously, what does throwing a knife have to do with "Top Shot"? Answer, NOTHING! Stupid television for people starved for ANYTHING to watch.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Normally I would say this is all phony - staged junk with actors playing the part of shooters. But I actually know one of the previous competitors - Maggie Reese from my days of competitive pistol shooting. Maggie got eliminated on an archery stage that she wasn't prepared for which is too bad because the next stage involved race pistols and there is no doubt in my mind that she would have cleaned house on that one.

But like Dan says, the real value to these shows it that firearms are shown as recreational instruments - sometimes with a bit of history - and it is nice to see that in mainstream broadcasting.

8. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

__ <I>"They are showing these people using guns as they were meant to be used, having fun, bringing back some of the lost interest in firearms we so desperately need."</I>

I see it from a completely different angle. Are you expecting that people who are against guns now will look through their TV listings and say,

__ <I>"Hmmm... here's a program that shows people having fun with guns. Maybe we should tune in to see if it changes our perspective on firearms America."</I> or

__<I>"Well now... would you like to tune in and watch how a family of southern rowdies has fun building guns?"</I>

I would rather expect that they would be annoy and irritated that the "gun people" are using TV to force their lifestyle on everyone else,

__ <I>"Look at TV anymore! It's been taken over by these danged gun programs and people shooting animals. They show guns as TOYS for crying out loud. This has got to stop before our kids' minds are poisoned! We need to contact our legislators about this right away!"</I>

The only people who would watch this show are the ones who already have a positive perception of guns. I seriously doubt any attitudes would be changed by it. Quite to the contrary.

My experiences and my opinion.

Mike K

9. thunder

thunder Active Member

The final was fantastic, this last challenge looked really tough, glad Dustin won it.

I don't have to watch the terrible movies that the liberal Hollywood clan is producing. Has their been a good movie in the last 9 months.

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Mike was eliminated in an earlier episode, it should have stayed that way. When a$$-hole Jake quit the show prior to his second elimination round, the fella he was to shoot against should won by default. No one else got to play "double-elimination".

I'm glad Dustin won also.

11. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Anytime Hollywood does something, reality takes a back seat. I have to take a breath and remember it's suppose to be entertaining. That said, I honestly look at the events on that show and think, "That looks like FUN!" I've never tried hitting a golf ball off a tee at whatever distance that was, but it does look like fun. Good show. HJH

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

These gun shows no matter how cheesey they may appear to some of us are projecting a positive image of legal gun ownership. This is a complete opposite of the way the news media has portrayed them as being only tools of criminals. I really think it's a positive thing.

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I can't stomach the show or the host, but I agree w/ Matt. Any decent exposure we can get to offset the "guns are evil" message being put forth through public schools and the media is a good thing.

-Gary

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Kolby says some over exaggerated (excited) stuff during the show, but it does project a fun positive view of shooting.

15. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I don't watch much TV, but I like to watch this show. It has folks from all walks of life ranging from a Christian Camp Drector all the way to world class champion shooters. And it goes to show you don't have to be this extreme shooter to win such a challenge.

I don't care for reality type shows, but I do like this one. I don't think it is waste of electricity or Stupid television though.

I agree with Matt that is does portray that guns are not the killing machines that today's media has made them out to be.

Bryan

16. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I agree with GunDr. Mike was out and should not even been in that final. He was the only one to loose twice. He should of popped Jake in the nose when he had a chance.

Corey

17. NintyT

NintyT Member

I recently took Sara Ahrens out too shoot some trap. Although she got booted on the second episode, she got shot a little trap in prep for the show. She's got the bug now! Watch out boys. She said Jake was a jerk from the start. Steve j

18. ky4some

ky4some Member

We really like "Top Shot". Wife, son and myself all watch it. Good family time as far as I am concerned. I think the producers do a good job showing guns used in creative competitive situations. Congrats to Dustin. He performed well throughout the entire show and then crushed in the end.

Mike Kamer

19. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I enjoy watching Top Shot, I think it shows shooters as athletes and shooting as a legitimate sport. I would rather not have the "survivor" flavor it has but they have to sell it to the masses. I would also rather have it all firearms but it's on tv. Having known several of the competitors has made it especially interesting for me, I only wish this had been started 20 years ago because I would have loved to tried out for it. The props they came up with this season were spectacular.

The situation with Mike coming back was unfortunate but the rules had been set ahead of time and that was how it was played. It wouldn't have been fair for one competitor who was set for an elimination challenge to get a free pass just because Jake decided to walk off. Someone would accuse them of collusion or worse. Mike got the call out of the blue and had to immediately get on a plane and was taken from the airport straight to the range. He stood out there behind a bush with no idea what was going to happen, and then sent out to compete in the challenge. So he certainly had no advantage. It was a good opportunity for him that he got a second chance, but it was still up to him to take advantage of it under the worst circumstances. Anyway Jake is solely to blame for the rule having to be invoked and that's the way they played it.

I can't imagine how embarrassed and how upset the Seal community must be because of Jake's behavior. If you do some research you will find this is not completely out of character for him.

It was really good to see the finalists being such good examples of sportsmanship. One guy even said he could have avoided getting eliminated if he had just shot better. No whining or complaining, just like it should be.

Dustin seems like a fine young man and certainly earned the win. I'm sure he will get some opportunities in the firearms world out of this if he wants to take advantage of them.

20. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

I guess that "Rocks" were used to show the most primitive form of hunting,,,I think Jake was a "stage", or plant,,there was the Golf Pro. last time, and this time it was Jake. Dustin did it with his outlook,,he was there having fun, little to no preasure.

Norman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.