1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Top Shot Has Ladies

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Recoil Sissy, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

I was among the many unimpressed by reality show Top Shot last year. However, I just read (see link above) where this year's offering will include two lady shooters. I hope these ladies' presence will encourage other women and girls to give the shooting sports a try.

I'll probably watch a time or two just to see how the ladies perform and to see what kind of ambassadors they are for the shooting sports.

The new season premiers tonite (Tuesday) at 10pm EST on the History channel.

sissy

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

They had at least one lady last year. You will be impressed by the Asian chick this year I guarantee.

3. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

Define "lady" please. I have seen a lot of women, girls, b*tches, but very few ladies. Not being ugly, I just believe the term is used way too loosely.
    Take care,
    Rhett

4. skeezix

skeezix Member

I didn't watch it much last year, but they did have Tara Poremba as a contestant. She left before the final show because her father was quite ill and has since passed away. She apparantly is a very accomplished pistol shooter with Chicago PD.

John

5. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

"
    After six years in the Marines Corps Reserve, Tara Poremba ("Top Shot") became the first female in the history of the Chicago Police Department to become "Top Gun" of her graduating class and was awarded "Top Gun" of the FBI Firearms Instructor School. A High Woman's State Champ in several states in Conventional Pistol, and a former National Champion, Tara ("Top Shot") earned her Distinguished Pistol Badge from the Civilian Marksmanship program and the President's 100 Award at the Nationals at Camp Perry.
    She currently competes in Bullseye competition. "

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

There was a woman on last year's show. She left early due to circumstances in her family.

MK

7. Recoil Sissy

rhett1977:

Everyone gets the benefit of the doubt.

sissy

8. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Give the show another try. I ended up liking it pretty well. I think one of the mistakes was having them shoot some crappy guns and as I understand, that won't be the case this year.

Just focus on the shooting. The reality-show stuff goes along with it but it's fun to watch them shoot and the high-speed cameras they use give unbelieveable footage.

9. skeezix

skeezix Member

I agree with Rick - the show is ok, but I dislike the announcer and his phony John Wayne wannabe accent.

john

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

The arrogance of some of the contetstants last year was a turn off for me.

11. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

Recoil,

I didn't mean to be chauvanistic in my way of thinking. I just see every woman these days including Nancy Pelosi being called ladies and it really pisses my wife off. She is a lady imo and in others opinions also. She really loves to shoot and does not cuss or act in any unlady-like fashion. I want to apologize to any true ladies out there I may have offended.

Take care,
    Rhett

12. JES

JES Member

The whole series ran last weekend. I enjoyed it. Colby the annoucer is the runner up of Surviver when Tina took the million and he the 100,000 second prize.

13. Recoil Sissy

rhett1977:

As your first post indicates, every female isn't a "lady". I just didn't catch your full drift. Thanks for the clarification.

As a practical matter, I think it's appropriate to give every individual the benefit of the doubt. His or her behavior will quickly establish whether lady or gentleman is applicable.

Pelosi is text book example. She's WAY past doubt or deference. The proper descriptor for her begins with a "C". It's a term reserved for the worst of the worst and is offensive to ladies and the majority of non-lady females.

sissy

14. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

The ladies did not do well!!!!!!!!!
    Don

15. shrek

shrek Active Member

the show would be much much better focusing just on the shooting competition and skipping all the the petty "behind the scenes" drama between the shooters...

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

shrek--That behind the scenes drama is called "Reality TV". Unfortunately they promote that drama more than the shooting because that is what draws the wide range of audience. If it was just geared towards us shooters it probably wouldn't make it on Prime Time TV. Just my pennies worth.

Matt

17. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I agree with Matt.
    Don

18. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I watched the other night just because I'd have to be informed when the guys coming in to the shop wanted to discuss it. My first impressions of this years show, after one hour....they don't know squat, at least the producers/writers. Civil war gun for the first event was not a civil war gun, at least not a paper cartridge firing Sharps...they had a brass cased cartridge. Secondly, I think Colby has an ear bud so his old mentor Jeff Probst can tell him what to say and how to enunciate it as he isn't smart enough to put a sentence together..he's lost out at the finals at least twice on Survivor. Third...at least they had a 29 Smith but they sure weren't using full house maggies.

Funny thing, the only comments in the shop so far have been, "I forgot to watch it, was it any good?"

I do understand...It is just entertainment.

19. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I'll tell ya, I think they do a pretty good job of making it something you can watch on TV. Too bad they get all this negative posting, come on it's something to put a positive spin on shooting.

No good deed goes unpunished! Who cares that they didn't use an actual certified civil war rifle? Looks like they will be shooting full-auto Thompsons coming up. That might be fun. I actually thought shooting the .45's at the billiard balls looked like fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.