1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Top or bottom barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rpeerless, Jun 19, 2013.

1. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

I've used both. Didn't notice much difference at all.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If it is a gun specifically set up for trap doubles then the bottom tube will probably shoot higher than the top which will tend to shoot flat. In this case the person shooting single targets would probably want the lower tube. Many also find the felt recoil to be less with the lower tube.

But all that aside, experiment to find which works best for you. No reason you can't use the top tube if that helps you hit the targets better.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Depends on the chokes and whether they are removable. Some fixed choke O/Us are Mod over IC. Some are Full over Mod or IM. Some O/U s can only shoot lower barrel first. If you have screw in chokes and selectable trigger, shoot whatever barrel and choke you want. Mark

4. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

The physical properties of an O/U shotgun as it fires each bbl changes the way recoil manifests. The bottom bbl pushes more straight back through the shotgun's center of mass. The top bbl is positioned slightly over the center of mass and the recoil as it is fired has a tendency to rotate the bbl ( looking at the left side of the shotgun ) and the entire shotgun, counterclockwise. This will cause the muzzles to rise and the recoil to 'feel' sharper. O/U shotguns will shoot to exactly the same POI at some distance in front of the shotgun. Closer than that point the lower bbl will -look like- it is shooting high and the upper bbl will -look like- it is shooting low. The trick ( if there is a trick ) is to shoot in practice both bbls and see which bbl breaks the targets better -for you- at both handicap and singles. If your shotgun uses screw chokes try the exercise by switching the same choke to each bbl and shooting it enough to see either an improvement in breaks -for you- or not.

YMMV.

Don T. Littleton CO

5. Murman

Murman Member

FWIW, I have been shooting my top barrel until a couple of weeks ago and changed to the bottom because I was getting heat waves from the top. Mild difference in recoil but I started pounding the targets noticeably harder. I have screw chokes and had the full in the top and IM in the bottom. Maybe a little more open choke, slightly higher POI or just a fluke. I think I will swap the chokes and see what happens...

6. mich746

mich746 Member

We're just talk'n trap here so I don't want to get hammered.

I guess it's ok to ask the guy next to you what he is shooting, but why wouldn't you do some POI and pattern testing of you own gun and chokes. One guy's XYZ gun may shoot completely different than your XYZ gun.

I'm a big fan of "NEIL Winston" POI/pattern testing method. Don't understand why more people don't test and know how there guns/chokes shoot.

Testing is not reading breaks or shooting off hand at a cardboard box, you have to follow NEIL's instructions.

7. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Anyone who hasn't seen what Mich746 is referring to can see the above link. But what if 13 yards as not that point where the top and bottom bbl converge? See Section 2 Page 2 of the above article and note what Neil writes about the OU Pattern pictured. It includes the words AT THIS DISTANCE and APPEARS which is what I was conveying in my description using the word SEEMS . Some things can take you only so far. Not hammering, just adding to the base. All you wrote will help someone else understand their shotgun better but you still need to break targets, consistently, to know whether your understanding is correct.

Regards,

Don T. Littleton CO

Search tags for this page
shoor the bottom barrel first or the top
shoot bottom barrel or top for trap

shoot trap with top or bottom barrel

top and bottom shotgun
top or bottum barrel for shooting trap
trap what barrel top or bottom
why shoot bottom barrel for trap

why use top or bottum barrel in oand u shotgun