1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

top or bottom barrel first?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by billyboy07208, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

I shoot o/u bottom barrel first for singles and doubles,although the argument for recoil hasnt quite convinced me as I notice alot of top singles out there,
    very few unsingles type,also noticed some olympic shooters load the top barrel for singles.
    Is there an advantage to the top barrel being closer to the rib?

thanks

WC

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The most important thing is POI. It has to match the type of target you are shooting at. HMB

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

In considering which barrel first, look to which was the more open choke in fixed choke O/U. It was always the lower barrel. I believe the theory was to use the most open choke on birds first because after you fire, they are all going to be getting further away. Hence the second shot was the tighter choke. There is also the consideration that some hold that the lower barrel, being closer to the hinge point, offers less stress on the action, and may have less barrel rise in recoil. With the advent of interchangeable chokes, you do not have to follow tradition, and can put whatever chokes in you want in whatever barrel you want. Tradition or not? Your call.

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

You should try shooting at paper or cardboard to see where you are at. I wouldn't get all hung up in it though, you'll probably not notice much difference. Put a full choke in both barrels and take shots 13-15 yards away.

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I used to be indecisive....now, I don't know.

Curt

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Indecision is the key to flexibility. Flexibility is the key to success.

7. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

I have never yet found an o/u that the lower barrel didn't shoot higher than the top barrel.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

And I've never yet found one that did!

9. RDT

RDT TS Member

For example a 682 gold E trap without barrel selection will fire bottom first. In Olympic trap you are allow 2 shots for that steroid bird. I assume the reason for the bottom first is the lesser chance of muzzle jump for a more stable top barrel follow up shot.

10. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

which ever way you break the most birds.

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have an MX-3 with fixed chokes and it is designed to shoot Top barrel first. Both barrels shoot the same POI and I cannot tell any difference in recoil. I believe the MX-2 bunker model was also designed to shoot Top barrel first.

12. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Plus Olympic shooters always load both barrels, they don't have any events with just one shot.

13. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: they don't have any events with just one shot

Yes they do...

top 6 for a 1 shot only final

I know a shooter who this year loaded the shell in the wrong barrel.

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have a rather unusual O/U barrel set on my MX-3 Special. It is a Tom Seitz barrel that has had extensive barrel work done on it. Tom set it up to shoot the top barrel first, for whatever reason, which is exactly the opposite of the way the barrel came from the factory. Top barrel is bored .734" with a .714" choke, (.020"), while the bottom barrel is bored .734" with a .700" choke (.034"). Both barrels, I might add, shoot to the same POI. If it was good enough for Tom Sietz, it's good enough for me. I see no disadvantge to a barrel set up this way, and notice no difference when shooting it as compared to by bottom first barreled guns....... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

15. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Joe, what's that? I know finals can be 1 shot but I'm not sure taht is what is being talked about.

16. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The theory of choke arrangement in MX-1 pigeon gun is, top barrel will have more muzzle rise if fired first, so you'll have an advantage on second shot at rising bird.

I found it true, in my case, top barrel cause more muzzle rise, it's even more noticeable on shorter barrels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shoot trap with top or bottom barrel

top or botom barrel first

top or bottom barrel first

trap shooting top or bottom barrel

trap what barrel top or bottom