1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Top Ohio Shooter to enter ATA Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by crusha, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusha

crusha TS Member

***by Jim Morris, Dayton Daily News

-------------------------------------

Dave Berlet is an outdoorsman with many accomplishments. He's an outstanding trapshooter, a successful hunter and fisherman and a consistent winner in lumberjack competitions.

The 68-year-old New Knoxville resident recently received the greatest tribute of his career when he was among three selected for the 2011 class of the National Trapshooting Hall of Fame.

"It's a great honor," Berlet said. "They told me about it at the Grand American (in August), but we had to keep it quiet until it was officially announced in October's issue of Trap & Field magazine."

"I wondered for a long time if it would ever happen. I didn't know if I had the right credentials. So when they told me, I was really excited. I am reallly looking forward to the next Grand (when he will be inducted)."

Berlet will be joined by Patrick McCarthy of Dalton, Ohio, and Phil Wright of New Hampshire.

There should have been no question about Berlet's trapshooting accomplishments. He has been collecting trophies since 1958 and has more than 40 from Grand Americans alone, in addition to many state and zone trophies.

"I have won trophies at the Grand over seven decades, so that probably had something to do with it," Berlet said.

Probably his best trophy from a Grand American came in 2000 when he won the Clay Target Championship (singles). He was also runner-up in the Grand American Handicap way back in 1961.

Berlet has had a couple of unusual accomplishments in trapshooting. He participated in 1989 in what was for many years the longest shoot-off - 725 targets - at Jacqua's (sic) in Findlay. Long before that - on Sept. 3, 1971 - he made the Guinness Book of World Records by breaking 1,572 clay targets in an hour of shooting at the old Camp Troy club.

Berlet, who was inducted into the Ohio Trapshooting Hall of Fame in 1995, has made seven All-America (sic) teams and 28 All-Ohio teams. He has shot at more than a half million registered targets in his career.

The Trapshooting Hall of Fame was established in 1969, and despite recent efforts to relocate it, continues to be at 601 W. National Road in Vandalia. It is open to the public Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Congratulations, Dave!

2. Pacemaker

Pacemaker Member

Dave is a great guy. He has helped many of us get started in the game by giving some free advice and coaching. A top notch shooter. You can see Dave on New Years Day at th Moulten Gun Club in Moulten, Ohio.
    Congratulations, Dave.
    Tim Miller

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Great guy, true gentleman, and one heck of of a trap shooter. Congrats Dave!

Rosey

4. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

congratulations, very well deserved. Birdtracker

5. dtrap

dtrap Member

Congratulations Dave....you have been a credit to our sport for many years.

6. rsikole

rsikole Member

Congratulations Dave! Well deserved!

Rob

7. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Good job Dave! Rooferbob

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A fitting tribute to a great shooter and man! Congratulations Dave, well deserved!! He began tough and maintained that toughness through 7 decades of competition shooting! He musta eaten Wheaties for breakfast all that time?

Hap

9. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

I know I join with many other Michigan shooters to offer congratulations to both Dave and Pat for being selected to be inducted into the ATA Hall of Fame. They both are very deserving of this honor. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Congratulations gentlemen. Well deserved.

11. Maumee River Rat

Maumee River Rat Member

Congratulations Dave!

IMG_0931.jpg </a>

The Saneholtz Family

12. NintyT

NintyT Member

Contests Dave. You're a good man and a great shot! Steve j

13. NintyT

NintyT Member

Contests Dave. You're a good man and a great shot! Steve j

14. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Congratulations Dave. I was lucky enough to be in his squad for a lot of his wins.

Terry.

15. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Congratuations to a true gentleman shooter. Dave has other talents also. Ever hear him tell a R rated story. I wish you many more good years of shooting. Regards,Clyde Doll

16. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

GREAT MAN, good friend, even better shooter!!!

CONGRATS DAVE....

Matt Nicol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ata ohio state hall of fame