1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Top lever is in the middle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goou7, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goou7

goou7 Member

I need some advice. I have a Browning Citori that I have shot for 15 years and I have noticed the top lever has now worn to the middle position. What does this mean? Is it time to get it rebuilt and if so, what will the gunsmith do to move it back to the left?

Thanks

James

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Yes. Either Doug or Phillip or Stu Wright will do a great job..

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

James, you might give a call to Skeet's Gun Shop. I only dealt with them one time, and was impressed with their directness, honesty, and speed of service. (918) 456-4749. Hope this helps you out. Break-em all. Jeff

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

The next thing to happen is the gun will start opening itself wnen shot.Until then I would keep shooting it unless its your only gun. They will weld and refit the lock when needed. Jeff

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

James, "What does this mean?" It means your gun is finally broken in? Don't fix what ain't broke. Hap

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

If it's not loose closed and it doesn't open up when shot, it's probably good for a while. If you want to do PM on it due to shooting a lot, there is something to be said about that too.

7. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

When it starts to open after you shoot, time to start looking to have it fixed. Until then, keep shooting it. If it does start to open and you need to shoot it for a few more months, clean all fo the lube off of the locking lug and each time before you shoot it, put a little rosin on it. To get rosin, as in the baseball section of a sporting goods shop. Kept mine going until the end of the season without a problem. (Suggestion from a long time smith)

Mike

8. goou7

goou7 Member

Thanks for the advice. I have not experienced any issues as of yet but I figure I better ask before shooting season hits full swing.

Thanks again

James

9. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have had my Citori Plus with the problem of opening on firing twice since I've owned it -about 15+ years. Both times it turned out to be the Top Lever Spring. My Lever is well to the left of center and shoots fine yet.

10. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Midwest Gun works are Browning experts. They can answer all your questions.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/

[​IMG]

11. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

It is a very inexpensive fix on the Citori. You are in need of a locking bolt and probably a new top lever spring. If you are interested I can fix in my shop. Don

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I second ARTS.

13. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Arts rebuilt my BT-99 and replaced a broken top lever dog, I am very satisfied with their work...Bill

14. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

15. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

New opening lever spring is all you need right now. Pretty easy to do yourself if you are mechanically inclined. ;)

AndyH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.